Rotary Vise

Sockman

Sockman

I am contemplating the purchase of a new vise. What has caught my eye is the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose and the Peak Rotary. I do like the rotary vise. Anybody have any experience with these. Please feel free to give pros and/or cons and any experience with customer service. Will appreciate any feedback Best wishes.

I have the Peak rotary and have no complaints. It holds hooks down to at least size 24 (never tried anything smaller). I've never tied anything bigger than a 4 but there was plenty of adjustment left to go bigger.

I really don't use the rotary function that much except to see all angles of the fly so I keep it a little on the tight side.

I've been using it about 2 1/2 years without any issues.

I have been happy with the Odyssey spider that I had for a couple of years. Like CathyG I rarely use the rotary function for tying and use it mostly for viewing. If I had to do over again, I probably would have spent the extra money for the Odyssey Spider Cam.

Don

I really like the rotary function of my Ranzetti. It comes in handy when I am wrapping materials like pheasant tail. My fat fingers have a hard time holding materials when they get to the end and you are trying to pass them from one to the other.

Thanks much for the input, it is appreciated and helpful. Still thinking about which vise to get. It is kinda fun to do the research and hear different opinions.

Dear Sockman,

Try to go to a shop and actually look at and maybe even use the vises you are considering. I know Bass Pro Shop in Harrisburg carries the Peak Vise, I'm not sure if anyone reasonably close to you carries Griffith products?

I looked hard at the Peak Vise a few years ago but wound up buying a Dan Vise. I like it a lot, it holds hooks from 20 to 5/0 with just a few seconds of adjustment to the cam jaws. It is not a precision instrument, and the Peak Vise is quite bit nicer cosmetically and machine work wise. However, the Dan Vise is more than adequate for my fly tying needs and the rotary capability is a significant upgrade in convenience from my Regal.

I got a good deal on the vice and the extension arm from J Stockard on line during one of their frequent sales, it was about $ 90.00 delivered for everything.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Cabela's should have a Griffin Mongoose which is a great vice. Had mine for 6 years with no problems.

The rotary feature is something I use all the time. Ribbing, dubbing, hackling, pretty much everything that involves taking thread or materials around a hook, other than tying in.

I'm currently using a Peak that I purchased on the Swap forum here. Works good for me and I tie a lot, including all sizes from midges to big saltwater and muskie stuff. It seems like a nice vise, affordable, and (I believe) made in US.

When it comes to fly tying, get the best vise you can afford. You can buy cheap materials,cheap hooks, but from my experience don't be cheap when it come to a vise, at least buy a rotary.

As Becker said I also have the Renzetti and love it!! Been using it for a year and have tied as small as 22 and as big as 5/0 tarpon hooks. Again buy the best vise you can afford and if possible actually try the vise in the store or atleast get it in your hands.

I have added the Renzetti Traveler into the mix for consideration as well. Any of you Traveler?

That is what I have. I do not have anything bad to say about it. Glad I decided to purchase it and not skimp.

I have a Peak and absolutely love it. The rotary function is nice, but most times I have the screw in to keep it locked up. As mentioned, it is nice to see all angles of the fly but I do use it when spinning wire on midges etc.

Well today I made my decision to purchase a Renzetti Traveler 2300. I have tied about a half dozen flies on it and it works like a charm. I think I am really going to enjoy using this. Thanks to everyone for your input

Sockman wrote:
Well today I made my decision to purchase a Renzetti Traveler 2300. I have tied about a half dozen flies on it and it works like a charm. I think I am really going to enjoy using this. Thanks to everyone for your input

Nice! Good luck with your new vise.

Back