Rods For Specific Situations

thebassman

thebassman

Hey guys,

I know for a fact that I have asked this before, but when I went back to search for my post I could not find it anywhere. Sorry for asking again.

I am thinking about grabbing a 3wt just for giggles and it got me wondering. I have a 8' 5wt, a 7' 5wt, 9' 5wt, and a 9' 7wt.

I am looking to replace a 5wt and add something else. I was wondering if you didn't have the gear you had what length and weight rods would you buy?

I am keeping my my 8ft 5wt and my 9ft 7wt. I am thinking about adding a short 3wt and maybe a 10ft 5wt?

Just curious. If you could have just three or four rods what would they be? If you could just have ONE what would it be?

Steven

If you mean what rod would be left if I was only allowed one fly rod - my 590 One.

If you mean what one rod would I recommend to cover all of PA - a 580.

To the three rods - I would have the 3 different weights I have now - 3, 5, and 8.

One rod: 690 ONE

Three rods:

169 TFO Finesse
690 ONE
An 8wt...not sure what.

For the 8wt, I currently have a Redington Predator and while I do really love it, it's one of the short (7'10") 8wts, and it pairs with a 10' 7wt to round out the top end of my quiver. What one is weak at, the other excels at. If I had to combine their roles into a single rod, I'd probably go for a high end 9' 8wt...maybe a Method, bIIx, or something along those lines.

...and if you'd give me a fourth option, I'd add a fast 9' 4wt like my Winston LTX, no hesitation.

A 10 foot, 4-weight. I have an old Scott and fish it on many sizes of streams. Can dry fly, nymph with and without indicators, swing wets and streamers and fish midges.

My 2 cents.

Dale

Tough question. I'd say it depends on what sort of fishing you like to do. For me the first two rods are: 9' 5wt and 9' 8wt, then if I were only fishing trout, it would be 8'6" 4wt and an 11' 3wt.

If I was doing some salmon fishing, I'd grab a 7126 spey instead. Or a 2-3wt for small streams... I guess I just like lots of rods :)

I'm not sure I could limit myself to just one or even three. If I was really pressed, the one would be my Sage VXP 590-4. Next I would add my CGR 5'9" 3wt. Then it would be a real toss up between my 7 wt. and another 5wt. If you like to fish for the bigger stuff or throw big streamers, I'd add a 9' 7wt. Finally, I feel bad relinquishing this rod to fourth because it really is my favorite. I would go with the Blue Halo fiberglass 8' 5wt. It's an awesome rod, but for me it's not quite as versatile as the Sage. I end up pulling it out of the quiver as often as I can, but the Sage is always there just in case I need a bit more.

Yeah. I figured my 9' 7wt is going to be my carp/bass/large streamer rod. I love my 8' 5wt Butterstick, but feel like I either need to add a longer 4wt or a longer 5wt to have my bases covered. I have never fished a 4wt so I do not really know first hand the pro/cons to it instead of a 5wt. Then a 3wt always intrigues me for small stream fishing.

Yeah, there are members of the board with dozens of rods, one I know with hundreds. I have under 10 still. But yeah, different rods for different purposes.

FWIW, for most trout fishing, a collection of 5 wts in different lengths and actions would do fine. There are some exceptions. The following would be my lineup, from most important to least important, based on the type of fishing I do.

1. 9' 5 wt medium fast action - my workhorse for trout in medium and largish waters.

2. 7' 5 wt fast action - "brookie rod", but applicable for browns as well, in tight brush small freestone streams.

3. 10' 7 wt - bass and steelhead, big honkin streamers, or truly big water (Allegheny, Lehigh, D) trout. Medium fast, but softish tip to protect tippets from big fish. Those who wish to add salmon to the mix could make this an 8 wt, unless you also want to do salt (in which case, get a 7 wt for this and add #6 below in addition to)

4. 9' slow action 4 wt. Trico and midge specialty. May also get some use when chasing hatches, where you know you'll be dry fly fishing and in the mood for something a little more laid back.

5. 8' or 8.5' 5 wt, medium fast - tweener between #1 and #2. For either more open small streams, or streams that fall between small and medium. For instance, Valley Creek.

6. 10' 9 or 10 wt. Saltwater. Can add salmon.

The longer I'm fishing the lighter tackle I tend to go. I thought a 5 weight was "the" trout rod when I started fly fishing and tend to use 3 and 4 weights most often now. I would say a lighter rod is missing in your arsenal right now. If you fish smaller streams then go for a 7-7.5ft 3-4 weight or if you want something to just fish dries on then an 8.5-9ft 3-4 weight. That would be my recommendation to add something that will make a difference in what you're fishing right now.

If I could have three rods they would be what I have now - a 7' 4/5, a 7'3" 4/5, and an 8' 5/6. Just one - I would keep the 8' 5/6. No question.

Back