Rod tube

troutpoop

troutpoop

I would like to make a rod tube, which seems easy enough from PVC. I want to store two rods in the tube so I don't have two tubes taking up room in the bask seat. Anyone see a problem with two rods in the same tube, besides the need for a larger diameter tube, probably 2"?? I'm concerned the guides may get all buggered up banging against each other.

I've never had a problem if I used a rod sock.

I've gone without, but I can hear the rod tinging around, which I don't like.

Oh, and I also put packing foam in the ends of the pipe caps to keep the rod from slamming into the ends of the case.

I have a big 2.5" tube that holds a ten footer that I use to keep my 9 footer also when steelhead fishing. Plenty of room and like kern said, if you use rod socks it should be fine. Just measure the fattest diameter of both rods, add them together and add an 1/8 inch or a 1/4" and get that size on the Inside diameter.

The foam in the ends is a good idea also.

just make 2 rod tubes. It costs me about $5 a tube to make my own. One tip is to buy the screw on caps. I've had the other end caps stick on me before.

An idea is to make both end caps removable and store the rods with handles opposing one another. Mark the outside of the tube as to which rod is where and the the handles wont be so snug against each other in the tube.

I have my 2 cheapest rods in one tube, I keep them facing opposite ways so they fit perfectly. I wouldn't do this if they were 300 dollar rods though. These are my 20 dollar Wal-Mart specials. My nicer rods have there own padded tubes. It's annoying because I have 5 tubes rolling around in the back of my truck all of the time but it works. I have considered mounting something that the tubes can rest in on the side of my truck bed but I'm not that motivated to get around to it.

Back