Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Rod repair

From Lehigh Valley, PA
Yesterday I broke the tip off of my rod in the front door. This was the excuse I needed to upgrade, but I would like to fix my rod to use as a back up or loaner.

It's a cheap rod (about $60), so I'm not going to spend much repairing it. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2007/1/31 18:44

Re: Rod repair
From Altoona, PA
If you took a small section off, like 6 inches or so, repairing it may not be too hard. The major question is, was the break "clean". If a crack is running down the rod, than you may not have a shot. But if the tip sheared off nicely or can be cut cleanly, you can put a new tip top on the rod.

Any fly shop should have a few sizes of tip tops. You can bring in the top section, and fit one to the end. It can be glued in place with 30 minute epoxy. Adding a few thread wraps to dress up the rod is nice but totally unneccessary.

Some folks intentionally trim rods down to make a rod action quicker. You may also find that it will cast a slightly different line. For instance it may throw a 6wt DT better than a WF5 now. The more that was trimmed off the end, the more the action will change. Small changes will not be a big deal. Whacking a foot off the end may make for such a stiff action that you could not get a bend in the rod no matter how hard you cast it.

Posted on: 2007/1/31 18:55

From Berryville Virginia

Posted on: 2007/2/1 10:34

From Lewistown
Like Pad said, it really depends on how much broke off. In my oppinion, anything over 9 inches, the rods a goner. Replacing the tip top is the easiest fix.

Posted on: 2007/2/1 15:28

From Schuylkill County
I broke the tip off a 5pc Stowaway, about 2 inches. Luckily I took the tip-top off the pc that broke and just glued it on the rod. I don't think the taper changes too much in the first few inches so you may be able to get away simple and cheap.

John

Posted on: 2007/2/4 8:55
if you look at it right...

From Lehigh Valley, PA
Thanks for the suggestions. I took off the top eight inches, so I doubt I can use the same tip top. I'll try to find a tip that fits next time I head to a fly shp

The new rod, a 5 wt 8'6" Orvis TLS, is lots of fun.

Posted on: 2007/2/4 11:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com