Rod for Salmon/steelheads

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

I am thinking about building a new rod for salmon/steelhead fishing. I'm thinking about a 8 weight...probably a 10 footer from what I'm hearing (would take a 9 foot though if thats all I can find) in a medium to medium fast action. I don't really want to spend over $200 for the blank. Just wondered if anyone knew any rod blanks that would be good to look into for this or any other suggestions.

i would look into a batson if $125 10884m 10' 8" 8wt, if it were me, though it's a switch blank, more length, less line on the water.

or really fast though really long, $148 IF1266-4 12' 6" 6wt(9wt single hand) spey, tons of line off the water, and the aspect of having a spey rod to play with as well, one reel, two spools loads of fun!

or just a IF1009 standard rx7 10' 2 piece 8wt $108.

it wold be cool if north fork made a longer than 9'6", just to have a real gary loomis, but...

good luck man.

Pac Bay makes a really nice 11' 8wt blank. It's a switch blank but takes a normal 8wt line. I recently had it built as a TH'er but now making a SH handle for it. It's the Quickline series... less than $100.

DJBerg wrote:
i would look into a batson if $125 10884m 10' 8" 8wt, if it were me, though it's a switch blank, more length, less line on the water.

or really fast though really long, $148 IF1266-4 12' 6" 6wt(9wt single hand) spey, tons of line off the water, and the aspect of having a spey rod to play with as well, one reel, two spools loads of fun!

it wold be cool if north fork made a longer than 9'6", just to have a real gary loomis, but...

good luck man.

Why are all the North Fork rods fast action? I'd be willing to try one of them but I hear nothing good about a fast action rod for salmon and steelhead.

bigjohn58 wrote:
DJBerg wrote:

good luck man.

Why are all the North Fork rods fast action? I'd be willing to try one of them but I hear nothing good about a fast action rod for salmon and steelhead.

Ok when I read the description it says SF series which is in my price range is a moderate action and had the qualities I'm looking for I think. Why do you think so highly of Gary Loomis? Is this G Loomis? The first rod I built was a G Loomis 9' 6 wt and its about the only rod I use anymore.

Yeah, he sold "his name" so now the "real" Gary Loomis rods are north forks. The g. Loomis rods are made by shimano, not sure on the exact date when the transaction was made.

Check the rod building forums for what the builders think of the poles they have built, north fork wise. And if you can see what they fish, as a comparison point(everyone's perception of a proper rod action is different).

Do you know the common cents info on your g loomis? If not I would look it up, figure it out, and some where there is a list of the north fork pole d.b.i.'s. once you know what your pole rates, you have something to make a very educated guess as to what blank to build.

Read this, two or three times.

http://www.common-cents.info/

At least the first three parts.

DJBerg wrote:

good luck man.

I have used this 8wt on salmon and steel in NY.
Great for steel but feel under gunned for salmon, especially early Sept Kings on the SR.

Check out RBMeiser's rods, especially the switches, I'd go with a 9wt for salmon, 7 for steelhead, compromise and get an 8wt that will be pretty good for both.

Check out RBMeiser's rods, especially the switches, I'd go with a 9wt for salmon, 7 for steelhead, compromise and get an 8wt that will be pretty good for both.

+1

but at that point, i'd ahve bob build it, his builds are absolutely gorgeous! one day when i'm rich i'll have him build me one...

i didnt even realize they made switch rods, and on that hand, you could build a tfo deer creek switch as well bob mieser and mike kinney both had a large amount of input on those as well.

IMHO, you don't need an 8 weight rod for steelhead, they are only large trout. Guys do commonly use a 6 weight and even go down to a 4 or 3 weight rod, though the rod better have some backbone if it's that light.
Salmon are a different matter for kings and coho, most guys and gals will use a 7,8 or 9 weight depending on their preference.

The Batson 10'8'' 8wt correlates to about a 5-6wt spey, closer to a 6wt.
For swinging flies with heavy sinking heads, I use a 20ft- 385 grain compact skagit that allows me to throw 150 grain or 10ft of t-15. Mostly I use 10ft of t-8.
I also have a 30ft floating shooting head and a skandi line used in different situations. The shooting head is what I use for the lake.
With this setup, you can easily cover the NY waters except Niagara or Genesee Rivers. I have landed salmon with it but it takes a lot of work.
For this type of fishing, I actually prefer a longer light spey.
The batson does fit the bill though for erie tribs with a standard 8wt line. Not over-gunned when the creeks are high and fast.

Wow thanks for all the info. Thats interesting about Gary Loomis...I kinda thought something changed with their rods probably 4 or 5 years ago. Hope they are still the same quality.

Chaz wrote:
IMHO, you don't need an 8 weight rod for steelhead, they are only large trout. Guys do commonly use a 6 weight and even go down to a 4 or 3 weight rod, though the rod better have some backbone if it's that light.
Salmon are a different matter for kings and coho, most guys and gals will use a 7,8 or 9 weight depending on their preference.

Have you ever fished for steelhead before? I think it's quite ridiculous to fish for steel with a 3 or 4 wt. Not only are you risking breaking a rod of that size, but you're also not getting control of your fish and keeping those around you from fishing due to the lack of control. A 6 or 7 wt for Great lakes steelhead is ideal.

Ryguyfi wrote
A 6 or 7 wt for Great lakes steelhead is ideal.

I agree with Ryan, but I'll add that you won't feel over gunned with an 8 weight and you have a better tool for salmon with the 8 if you ever decide to do that. I fish a 7 for steel and a 9 for salmon.

What Alby said.

Yes I have fished for steelhead with an IMX 6 weight 9 foot rod. I think it's the perfect rod for steelhead, and have never fished for them with a heavier rod. There were no steelhead in the salmon river when I've gone there for salmon, so I've never used a heavier rod for them. I use my 9 weight for salmon and I'm probably over gunned because it's a very heavy (fast) rod.
I've never used a 4 weight for steelhead but if I have a chance to this year it's on my list. Guys do use a 4 weight. I know Sandfly want's to try his 3 weight out for steelies.

Chaz wrote:
Yes I have fished for steelhead with an IMX 6 weight 9 foot rod. I think it's the perfect rod for steelhead, and have never fished for them with a heavier rod. There were no steelhead in the salmon river when I've gone there for salmon, so I've never used a heavier rod for them. I use my 9 weight for salmon and I'm probably over gunned because it's a very heavy (fast) rod.
I've never used a 4 weight for steelhead but if I have a chance to this year it's on my list. Guys do use a 4 weight. I know Sandfly want's to try his 3 weight out for steelies.

I actually agree with him. I've used my 9 foot 6 weight G-Loomis I built for steelhead a few times and never had any trouble. This is the same rod I do the majority of my nymphing (fishing in general) with unless fishing a smaller stream.

I've got a lot of options now I'm looking at when originally I thought I had a very limited selection to choose from.

I think using anything under a 6wt for steelhead is asking for trouble.
7wt is ideal IMHO.

3wt? Seriously...? How are you going to land a steelhead with that, play it for 2 hours? C'mon, that's ridiculous, I use a 3wt for small brookies, and a 12 inch native puts up a nice fight on a 3wt.

"Ryguyfi wrote Quote:

A 6 or 7 wt for Great lakes steelhead is ideal.

I agree with Ryan, but I'll add that you won't feel over gunned with an 8 weight and you have a better tool for salmon with the 8 if you ever decide to do that. I fish a 7 for steel and a 9 for salmon.

Posted on: Today 10:25"

+1

Back