Rod for Enormous Brook Trout

• Thread starter BrookTroutLover
  • Start date
BrookTroutLover

BrookTroutLover

I am heading way north in a couple of weeks for the Nirvana of Brook Trout. Skating mouse patterns and shipping big buggers for 2-8lbers. Being a Pennsylvanian with small stream habits, my trout rods are 3-5 wt. I am looking at adding at a 6-wt, but unsure about 9' or 9'6." The river is big and wide, so I leaning toward the longer stick-- thinking it might also work well on larger water in PA like Penn's, etc.

Any wisdom from this crew would be most appreciated.

Scott in Chester Co.

I have no experience with large brook trout, but I often use a 5-6wt 8 ft for steelhead. It's actually my all purpose rod that normally I use for backup for steelhead, But I promoted it to starting position until I fix my 7wt 9 ft bamboo.

For steelhead you are using weighted flies, and for that I prefer more of a full flex (moderate to even slow action).

But you are going to be throwing mouse patterns which tend to have more wind resistance. You want something with some backbone. For that I'd want longer and stiffer (moderate to faster action) rod.

If I were in the market for a new plastic rod specifically for this purpose, I'd go with a 6-7wt in at least 9 foot, if not 10.

BrookTroutLover wrote:
I am heading way north in a couple of weeks for the Nirvana of Brook Trout. Skating mouse patterns and shipping big buggers for 2-8lbers. Being a Pennsylvanian with small stream habits, my trout rods are 3-5 wt. I am looking at adding at a 6-wt, but unsure about 9' or 9'6." The river is big and wide, so I leaning toward the longer stick-- thinking it might also work well on larger water in PA like Penn's, etc.

Any wisdom from this crew would be most appreciated.

Scott in Chester Co.

Hey BTL,

Good luck with those brute brookies!

I like longer rods, especially for larger rivers and streams.

A longer rod gives you more leverage and thus a longer casting stroke. Also a longer rod is more efficient and helps you to both roll cast and mend on the water. I often fish a 10' rod for larger river trout and bass.

So I would look at a 9'6". One thing though...I sound like a broken record, but test cast a few rods before you plunk down your cash. You don't want to spend good money (all money is good money whether you spend a lot or a little) for a rod you really don't like to cast and fish.

A 9 footer that casts well for you is better than a 9 six that doesn't.

Again, good luck fishing and post some pics when you return.

For brook trout, I'd say a 6'6" 2 wt.

Just kidding, I', going to go against the grain and say a 7 wt, 9' or shorter. For me, I like a 7 weight a lot better than 6wt for throwing big streamers, but I've been getting into shorter rods lately.

I'm sure you can get away with a 6 wt, but if I were making that trip I'd plan on using my medium action 8'6 7 weight. And I'd probably bring a 906, 846, 706, and 1007 just in case...

You'll get as many opinions as there are anglers (or probably more, if some anglers can't make up their mind). As afishinado said, test cast a few rods. Find one that matches your fishing style and that will work in the conditions you expect to fish it under.

Will you be going with guides or outfitters or staying at a camp up there?

If so, ask them what is the best gear for that fishing.

No guides, no camp. Just getting dropped into a lake and canoeing to Hudson Bay.

I'd say the same type of rod you'd use for enormous brown or rainbow trout.

Recommend checking several outfitter web sites. Most address recommended gear.

Most guys use 6 weight in Labrador, and or course depending or where you are at least a 9 foot rod. I'm thinking some of those places you'd want a switch rod and a sinking line or a sinking tip to go along with the floating line. You'll need the sinking lines for those times on the lakes that you're fishing still water when chucking streamers.
Loomis just introduced a 6 weight switch rod it comes in a couple of lengths.

Back