Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Rod Size on small streams

From NE OH
Quote:

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
glad i could provide the palette for this monumental discussion lol

i still somehow feel as if ive been abused via internet inuendo but i'm even more confused as to what i wanted to achieve by posting this topic lol

dag nammit, ive been pcrayed... touche

It was pcray abuse. We don't know you well enough to abuse you yet. Your turn will come in another 1000 posts or so. Keep at it. You'll get there.

Posted on: 1/28 16:59

From Montgomery, PA
i must say the responses are all over the board.. all kidding aside it really is informative for me and i thank you all.

Posted on: 1/28 16:59

From Bushkill
luv my 4wt 7.6 St Croix handles beautifully

Posted on: 1/28 17:00

From NE OH
Quote:

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
Pine Creek - preferred rod size, weight and why?

I used a 7'6" 4wt in my limited experience with Pine. Big enough to throw a reasonable streamer if needed. Plenty of rod to handle anything on Pine. I'm not a nympher, so the longer rods doesn't hold much value on Pine for me.

Posted on: 1/28 17:02

From Montgomery, PA
yes i left that part out too.. for throwing dries far out to hit opposing sides i use a 7'9 5wt with a 6wt line to really load it up. not a big nympher myslef either

Posted on: 1/28 17:10

From NE OH
That's a reasonable choice then.

Posted on: 1/28 17:13

From Sweet Valley
I actually use a 9 ft 4 wt for most small streams. I find the only time I use my 7.5 or 6.5 ft 5 wts is if the stream is probably less than 6 ft wide. I just got use to fishing with it and I don't get hung up anymore than I do with my small rods. 15 ft wide is what I would consider a medium size stream with a stream Penns creek sized or bigger a large stream.

Posted on: 1/28 17:39

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
For pine, a 9-10 ft 5-6 wt for me (lined as rated).

Posted on: 1/28 17:55

From Pittsburgh
small brookie streams for me = a JP Ross 7'6" 3 wt (or is it 7'9"? ... I'm not running out to the car to check on it!) I it's light enough to feel the fish, but has enough backbone to roll and slingshot when needed. It is small enough to crawl through the rhododendron, but long enough to lift a cast over the rhodo when needed.

Pine... 9' 5wt fast action to handle big weighted flies and can withstand the line "load" when trying to cast across the stream.
My go to is a orvis matrix.

Posted on: 1/28 18:15

From harlansburg
for small streams, it all depends on the stream I'm fishing, as long as I'm close to home or have my arsenal in my truck. I have some short ones, both glass and boo, 5',5'5",6',6'6",7',7'6", in wts from 3 to 6. I like them all and use them all, and they all have pros and cons.
when I'm on the bike and traveling, space is tight, so it's down to one rod for large streams, one rod for small streams, and THAT rod is my 7'6" 4wt McFarland yellow glass, it might not be the best at any one thing, but it does everything I ask of it and continues to impress me.

Posted on: 1/28 18:17

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
looking for some helpful feedback if you all are so inclined.

When fishing a stream that's maybe 20-30 feet wide but does not offer you a ton of casting room what is your go to rod length and what do you prefer as far as a weight?

My personal favorite that ive built and used the last 2 years is a 7'3" 2wt Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Finesse Series. I have it paired up with a Lamson litespeed reel with 1 weight line.

What do you guys prefer. Lets here it straight from the fisherman themselves.

I know there are some variables to this but lets assume its a non-stocked stream, or a tributary of a stocked stream and were generally talking fish from 7"-12" on roughly. so a 5 weight is more than likely out.

Just looking for some popular models and such that you guys enjoy using so I can better myself as a builder

Thanks,
Chris

Your rod length is fine. The weight might not be depending on whats in the 20 to 30 ft wide creek. If it's a tunnel creek with a lot of overhead, the longer the rod the better. Use the length of the rod to flip the fly in to pools, make the length work to your advantage not in casting distance but in reaching distance.

Posted on: 1/28 18:32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From NC PA Mountains
Quote:

SlingerFlyRods wrote:
Pine Creek - preferred rod size, weight and why?

After fishing & guiding on Pine for several years a 9' 5 or 6wt. I can cast the smallest or biggest fly I would need on Pine. I would not go lower in weight because Pine can be very windy at times. Also, if you are wading in deeper water the extra length can be very helpful.

Posted on: 1/28 18:37

From down the block from the Letort.
If I'm heading out to explore a blue line on the map and have a decent idea that there's gonna be room to cast, then my goto length is 7'. Short enough to not be too cumbersome, but also just enough rod to cover up to a medium sized stream in case my hunch was off. Line weights? First choice is usually a 4wt, also have the option of either a 2 or 3wt in that length depending on mood and the expected wind.

Now if I know the stream is tight, then I'll reach for something shorter, either a 5' or 6' stick, the 6'er usually travels with the 7'er as a backup in case things are more crowded or smaller than expected. I pretty much only use the 5'/3wt on known, tiny, headwaters close to home. It's a fun rod, but not the best for exploring or traveling, being it's a 1pc cane rod.

Depending on water levels on Pine, or similarly Penns or Little J, day in day out I'd go with my 8'/5wt. But a 7 1/2 foot rod either 4 or 5wt can be a lot of fun also if fishing mostly dries on the bigger streams in average or lower flows. If there's a lot of water or air moving, then I might step up to the 8'/6wt. These are all cane rods btw, so 8' is as long as I fish pretty much anywhere (salt water being a different beast should I venture there). I don't do much streamer fishing or tightline high sticking, so extra speed and/or length aren't tops on the list of what I look for in a rod.

Posted on: 1/28 18:57

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Small stream I have two rods, both med/fast action and both overlined by one line weight:
1. 7' 4wt - 2 piece
2. 7'6 3wt - 4 piece
Which one I pick depends on how long the hike is. I prefer the 4wt, but use the 3wt for backpacking and places I bike into.

For "The Pine" a 9' 6wt. The main bug I seem to run into when I'm up there are Slate Drakes, and they're big enough for a 6wt to handle. 6wt is better for the streamers I'm using much of the time too.

Posted on: 1/28 19:04

I've never fished Pine Creek. My idea of a small stream is smaller than 30' across.

My small stream rod is a Sage TXL 363-3.

Posted on: 1/28 19:13
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com