Rod Rack

guppieguy

guppieguy

Been searching for a while for the perfect rod rack for rod tubes. I'm limited on space so a piece of furniture isn't really an option; I've been looking for a wall mounted rack instead. What do you guys use? Is it home made, or a re-purposed gun/wine/etc rack? Trying to get my rods off the floor in my dorm room without breaking the bank.

Re-purposing old pallets is all the rage these days. I would imagine you could lean one up against the wall, behind a desk or dresser and hold a dozen or so tubes. Maybe even hang it if you can find some heavy duty anchors . Strip off some slats to make it lighter, maybe even a coat of paint in the school colors.

yo gup - just go to a yard sale and snag a wine rack. Turned on it's side, a case size witll hold 4 dozen or more rods.

In addition to the above ideas,. a few more:

Ultra-simple idea: Use plastic, stackable crates you can get at Wally World or Dollar store. Stack a few up cut holes to fit tubes.

If you're a bit handy with tools and have a handsaw and drill, make a peg rack. Get scrap 2 x 4 at lumber yard. Find decent 2' long sections, cut, then drill two holes at slight angle about a foot apart to fit 1/2 inch dowel in. Cut those to about 5" and glue them in holes. Hang, screw or nail to wall. One for each rod.

Simply get a 2' x 4' piece of pegboard and buy a bunch of the longer pegs... they're like 7" or 8". Hang that on the wall. Paint the board however you want.

Bike hooks, screwed into a 2X 4, hang on the wall . Done. I have them in a 2X4 in my garage and hang my salt water rods on them . GG

Some ideas from another forum....

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=91478

that link is scary....

+1 on the scary link comment. I showed my wife the pic of the rack with 50+ rods and her comment was, "Is that guy married?" Ha!

That was a great link.
I am not very handy,so excuse the dumb question:
How are those holes made?
what kind of a drill should I ask for at the hardware store?

Yo Tom

A regular drill gets it done - the ones which are heavier do have more power. Your question may be more about the drill bit, the business end. You would ask for a "hole saw" - it's a hollow cylinder with the teeth.

Back