Rod Building Equipment

shipnfish2006

shipnfish2006

Ok after much look into it I've decided to start rod building. My question is what equipment, besides what comes with the normal rod building kits, would you guys suggest for getting started?

I think I'm going to build a real cheap spinning rod first just to work my way through one and then give it to my girlfriends brother. After I figure out what I did wrong with the first one I want to build a lightweight 9' dry fly rod.

Any suggestions or tip you guys can give me for getting started would really be appreciated!

lots of $$$$$$$$
:-D
I used to wrap, but know i have a guy building them for the shop..I didn't need 2 hobbies (tying flys #1) :-D
I suggest you take a class on it first before you decide to take the dive....

I second the class; it's good to get the hands on learning experience that no book can give you.

I own a cabela's rod builting set up. When i purcased it it was $40, but now I think htey have a $100 model that comes with a mounted motor. If I could do it all over again I would get the $100 package. Unless Sandfly can hook you up with a starter package.

BTW, great idea to start cheap.

A good precticing tool for wrapping rods it picking up broken setions of rods from your local fly shop.
Although after my first rod, I decided that was enough practice and developed my own quirks and style; which is probably the most important thing when rod building, probably fly tying too.
Knowing what you want the rod to look like and figuring out how to get there will lead to success. That's why the class is a good idea, because the teacher should know what the final product should look like, and how to get there.

If you want to go cheap, nothing as long as the kit includes the thread and epoxy. You can use a book to keep tension on the thread while wrapping and a cardboard box with V notches cut in the sides (you’ll just need to turn the rod every 10 to 15 minutes for an hour or two). This is how I started. That said, or there are the deluxe rod wrapping tools and rod turners, it’s all about what you want to spend and how many you are going to wrap. If you really get into it you’ll need them and possibly a lathe (turning cork and reel seat). A video on wrapping is probably the way to go there are several books and websites that have excellent illustrations. If I can locate my videos that I have purchased over the years you’re more than welcome to borrow. I’ve never taken a class for wrapping but it’s not a bad idea. Finding the spline is easy when you get feel for it. Just remember, It’s all about practice and the wraps are not going to look any better with epoxy or varnish on them (re-wrap and start over) and magnification helps. Take your time and prepare the feet of the snakes and stripper guide it is easier if all the little things are correct. The most important to me is a dust free environment, dust in my varnish drives me crazy.

Joe E

I started building rods in the last few years. I learned through using a book, and on the Internet with articles, forums and videos. But as with nearly everything, first hand experience is the best teacher. As JoeE said, a cardboard box and heavy book will get you started. I built my own rod wrapper out of scrap wood I have laying around. Also, good advice from Mkern – practice your wrapping and epoxy techniques on an old fishing rod or a wooden dowel rod.

You may want to look into buying a complete rod kit from J. Stockard, Mud Hole, or Cabelas. The kit has every thing you need, but buy your own supply of epoxy for coating the wraps. I have a lot of luck with ThreadMaster for my wraps.

Give it a try, it’s really not that hard. Your first effort won't be perfect, but I should be good enough not to get you disowned from your girlfriend's family by her brother.

Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.flyfisherman.com/rodbuilding/index6.html

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/

http://www.fishsticks4u.com/?src=overture

http://shop.mudhole.com/

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/

Thanks for your suggestions and tips guys! I think like with everything I get into self taught is pretty much the way I was looking to go with this one. Such as using a book or video to go about it. Do you guys know if barnes and nobel or any other book stores around sell anything on rod building? I know there are a lot of fly tying books at those places. However, I wouldn't be against a class, but I searched around and I was unsuccessful in finding one around the Harrisburg area. I do have some experience in guide wrapping. I've repaired 5 rods and thats pretty much what has me in the mood to try and build an entire rod now.

I was thinking about buying a small rpm (10-20) motor and building a mount for it and a stand for the opposite end. I'm not too worried about how much I spend on it I just don't want to jump in too deep without knowing what I'm getting into. I figured with a rod kit and the small motor and maybe a few small parts for the stands that I could get started on my first rod for about $60.

I used to have some links for this...can;t find them right now but will look again. I googled and found such a motor being sold by a company in the Lehigh valley a few year ago. I'm not sure you really need on if you are using good epoxy, but then you;d have to be real diligent. If you can find the motor it does make drying less maintenance. If you have a bobbin for fly tying and cardboard box you can do a very good job at wrapping the rod. A burnishing tool is a must for smoothing the wraps. Some else probably has a suggestion for a substitute device but I got one for a couple buck from one of the places I bought guides. I'll keep looking. I gave all my rod stuff to ryanH to borrow so maybe he can help with that web address. It gives very good step by step.

Here they are:

The first one is the absolute best and was the most helpful. I think my cat could build a rod following these directions...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/index.html

http://www.schneidersrods.com/

http://66.34.4.59/guide_sets_&_spacing.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/bingham/accf.html

http://www.shofftackle.com/

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/bingham/corkcomp.html

good luck...its ok to not like a wrap, pull it off and do it over. This is gonna be your rod so keep only what you'll be happy with. try not to get addicted.

I agree with tomgamber about everything he said except for the burnishing tool. You can either use your thumb nail, my preferred tool, or a plastic knife to pack your thread.

tomgamber, if you cat does learn to build a rod, I would love to watch that! I would settle for having the cat bring me an occasional beer.

Whatever you do, when you are building your rod, take your time. A good way to mess it up is to rush it!

beeber

Here's my experience from last year. I came in asking many of the same questions, and you can see what came of it. I posted this thread after I completed it.

For what it's worth, I fish the rod a handful of times a year, especially in high water when I'm slinging lead.

http://tinyurl.com/2y99q6

I agree with everything above.

Just a few things I would consider:

1) Consider getting TWO-HOUR EPOXY instead of 5 minute epoxy. I use flex coat's. This gives you more time to line things up and wipe with alcohol to clean up spilt epoxy.

2) I have used several finishes and THREADMASTER is hands down the most forgiving finish to apply. I would reccomend applying with 1-2 THIN coats with an artist's spatula or a good quality brush used as a spatula. Don't use those crappy disposable brushes. Beginners often use too much finish. You can always add more, but its hard to take away.

3) If you are getting a motor get one with a GOOD CHUCK. There is nothing worse than having your rod dropped while drying because of a crummy chuck. Get one in the 10-20 RPM range. Anything faster will be too fast for drying and anything slower will be too slow for finishing.

4) TAKE YOUR TIME. I rushed way too much when I was starting out. Wraps can be redone. Just redo it until its near perfect.

I agree with OO about NOT using fast drying epoxy...not even for applying the grip and reel seat. Once its on its on...

Here's a motor that looks liek the one I got but I don;t remember getting it from here. But the price is good. Unless you already have a rotisserie attachment on your grill..then you already have one.

Make sure you find the proper "spline" on your blank..that building post I put above explains it pretty well.

As far as finishes..I've used spar varnish, flex coat and 2 hour epoxy...I liked the flex coat and the spar varnish (had it around from a bamboo I fixed up) works great but its got a reddish brown tint to it.

You'll end up gerry rigging your "chuck". remember you'll need one ot hold the reel seat and one to insert into the ferrule of the top piece of the rod.

See, I knew someone would come up with a good substitute for a burnishing tool.

You will want an EXTREMELY sharp Exacto knife or what I found in an old dissecting kid my biology major wife had around was a scalpel. Actually that kit had a bunch of useful tools.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions guys. Here is where I'm at with this. I found a motor with a plastic chuck on it on ebay for $17 that looks like it will work perfectly. I've looked at several stands online and I've put together some blue prints to build my own. So after a trip to Lowes tomorrow night I should be ready to start constructing this thing.

It looks like I'm going to be able to build a 2-in-1 wrapper and dryer station for about $30. Maybe even less because I have a lot of scrap wood laying around that I might be able to use too.

After I get this built I'm going to order a cheap rod from Cabelas to start on along with some of the items you've guys have suggested. I figure like with tying as I go I'll see room for other gadgets to add to it. I see a bright future of enjoyment in this hobby and I can't wait to get started on this.

One last question regarding the epoxy. Do you guys know what kind of epoxy comes with the cabelas rod kits? I think the stuff I used to repair guides was 2 hours, but I can't remember and I'm not exactly sure where it is now. Thanks again guys!

The cabelas kits come with several "packets" of 5 minute epoxy and several packets of finish. I think its the stuff pacific bay comes out with. Its a decent standard "high build" finish....be very careful not building up the finish too much. This takes at least 8 hours before you can apply a second coat, and at least a day to completely cure. One coat should do it with that stuff if you apply with the supplied brushes. All their kits come with Pac-Bay brown, green, and gold metallic thread......it may or may not go with the blank you ordered. The instructions with the kits stink. They really aren't that great of a deal when you total it all up.

One thing you have to watch with cabelas if ordering online is that all of their stuff isn't exactly labeled correctly. I have written them on this and it has improved the last several months.

I started out with cabela's stuff but quickly moved on elsewhere. Check out hookhack.com too. Cheapest prices around and they have kits, too.

I agree with the 2 hour epoxy and I've built countless rods and still use it. I use devcon from walmart it's like $1.97 ($14 at gander mt.) and last for at least a dozen rods.
Calbelas rod finish is the best stuff I have ever ordered and is a strong reason why I order a lot of kits from cabelas. Of course, now they sell it as it's own item. Ohio is right, 1 coat will do ya.

Well had some free time friday evening and saturday morning so I decided to build my 2-in-1 wrapper dryer and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. I ordered my motor and it should be here mid week and I ordered a practice rod (spinning) along with the supplies. So hopefully this weekend I'll be able to start on my first rod. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. Below is a picture of my wrapper/ dryer.

Attachments

• Copy of P1000570.JPG
    Copy of P1000570.JPG
    583.7 KB · Views: 5
Looks very similar to the one I built..VERY similar...Now when your tension system for your thread just doesn't quite function the way you thought it would...just put the thread in one of your fly tying bobbins and slip it thru that screw eye and it'll work great. I had much better control with that method. good luck..You don't even need that motor until you are completely done wrapping the rod...get the grip right and set first then you'll be ready to go.

That looks fantastic!
What are you using to put tension on the thread?

Tom,

What did you use as your source of tension for your thread? I have a heavy spring on the inside and then I put in 2 washers on each side of the bobbin with the inside washer being plastic. Then have a slef locking nut at the end that I tighten until I get the right pull from it. I tried a test run yesterday and it seemed to roll pretty smooth. But I will take your suggestion if I end up having problems with it.

Back