Risen Fly's ITB Rods and Ichthus Reels

englishprof

englishprof

Has anyone tested these? If so, could we get a review? Thanks.

There's a handful of guys on here who own the Ichthus reel, and the ITB rod is still in it's prototype stage but dubthethorax is currently testing one for us. Hopefully we will have some stock in a few sizes of them before the Spring season starts and add a few more sizes as the year goes along. We're only making a few minor changes to the production model from the prototype. Nothing material. I'm sure some people will chime in with their opinions.

I have the Ichthus 5 wt reel, it's nicely machined, works well, drag system is smooth. Very nice reel for the price.
Haven't tried the ITB rod YET, but will definitely do so soon.
Ryan puts some nice deals out all the time, and PAFF members get a 15% discount all the time

I'm using the Ichthus on my 6 wt. It's a nice reel for the money.

I have the ichthus 3/4 and 5/6 I enjoy the reels very much. Put a lot of fish to hand. I am a "get the fish to the reel right away" kind of guy and the drag system suits my needs. I catch some pig stocker, after fishing derbies and stuff and even had the 5/6 on Erie Chrome and steelhead last February. It handled the SCREAMING drags of the chromers and even landed a nice brownie.

I was looking at the ichthus reel, and the website has raving reviews.

I have the 5/6 reel. I haven't used it a ton, mostly because I bought it at the very end of May, to go on my rod which is mostly used in April/May. So it'll get more of a workout this spring.

But I have used it and it worked just fine. I only landed little trouts but based on pulling line out, the drag system seems smooth and capable of some power. Looks decent. LA is always nice and quick for bringing in line. Ability to withstand dirt and sand is still TBD, in my limited use I didn't really abuse it.

I'm not about to rave about any reel, I still see them as mostly low priority item which does little more than hold line. But Ryan's a good guy I wanted to support. I needed a reel. It looked like it was nice and the price was good. And I certainly have no complaints so far.

I've had an Ichthus 7/8 reel for almost a year now and it's been working flawlessly. It has a great drag for it's price range and handles fresh steelhead and bruiser carp with ease. The only thing you should be aware of is it doesn't have a sealed drag, which at times can be an issue if fishing in temps below freezing. Risen Fly does have a reel with a sealed drag though it is a little more expensive.

Overall I have nothing negative to say about the reel.

IMG_0705_zpsbb336758.jpg

Hope you got the answers you're looking for.

The ITB rods should be released in some light weight trout sizes in the next month or so. We're looking to start with a 7'6" 3wt and 8'6" 4wt to start. Then bringing out a 6 and 8 wt before the bass season starts.

Our Ichthus reels are all over the country and even a handful in Canada. We haven't had a complaint yet from them and people are catching anything from mountain stream trout to musky and salmon on them. Great drag that has some good stopping power.

The 3/4 reel is THE ****!. It's awesome. I use it exclusively now for small stream fishing. It's landed everything from 6 inch trout to 15 lb carp.

The ITB rod (and Ryan..I know I owe you a formal review..been busy but will get to it).... It's solid. I think I have the 5/6 and I've been fishing alot of glass and small rods so it was stiffer than I was used to but once I got the hang of it, I really started to enjoy it. It's pretty sensitive, is put together nicely, but I'd say it's more of a streamer rod, and for heavy nymphing than for dry flies, although I did pick up a few fish on dries with it. You can't beat it for medium/small streamer fishing though. I also put it to the test and bent the hell out of it with some monster carp and it held up like a champion.

I agree with Dub on the ITB rod. I love it for nymphing. It shines for sensitity on Czech nymphing. I like to use pretty large and heavy anchor flies, and was able to tap the bottom and feel it with the rod. The mid flex is nice, compared to my fast action rod. It balances perfect with the Ichtus reel. I can tell ryan put some time in finding a good match for that reel. I loved the feel of a fighting trout on the rod. Not too much give, but enough to enjoy fights on smaller trout, and enough to bring in the big boys.

I had no issues with accuracy either. It was casting my tungsten bead head buggers just fine. I enjoyed roll casting the rod, but it was very smooth and responsive to traditional casting as well. Not a lot of lag time. My farthest cast so far was about 40' but I was able to put the tungsten head bugger right where I wanted it.

I really to like the rod, and would suggest it to anyone looking for a lot of functionality for a great lower price. I will get the formal review out to you , after the first day in Potter.

I have both the 3/4 and 5/6 Ichtus reels and love both of them. The drag system is smooth, and has pretty much micro adjustments you really match the fish. I try and get every fish on the reel, and match the drag, weird I know, but it is what I like to do. You can tune it down to small 8" fish, or give it a bit more for large 16" plus fish.

Good stuff

Back