Richardson Flybox Order

Q

Quent

I'm posting this for people who might be interested in the order time for these boxes.

My order was in the que for fifty weeks. During that time, I had questions about the order and made some changes. Each time, Bob Hegedus, the owner of the company, was quick to respond by email within two days. Once my order came up, Bob completed the box within about a week. Given that this is a one-man operation, I consider this good service.

Quent - After your posts on Richardson boxes last year, I decided it was time to get another one.

I stupidly sold the one I had years ago, and missed the functionality of it.

I ordered my new one through Flyfisher's Paradise in State College. Same price as ordering direct from Richardson.

I wasn't quoted a time frame on delivery, but since FFP often has boxes in stock, I was hoping I'd get mine a bit quicker. I bought a standard 4 tray configuration that FFP typically sells, and it must have been in line for production sooner than a new order - got it in under 6 months.

People often complain about the workmanship on manufactured goods declining over the years. Thankfully, Bob Hegedus builds his chest boxes with the same high quality standards as they ever were. He's a true craftsman, for sure.

Thanks for motivating me to get another box!

I love my Richardson Chestbox. I can't see myself ever trout fishing without it as it is a constant companion. Very convenient and I agree they are top quality and well made. Mine is the 4 tray deluxe with green finish. I just wish I could find a pair of longer straps for fishing in the cold weather. I think I have a pair out there somewhere. :lol:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I just wish I could find a pair of longer straps for fishing in the cold weather. I think I have a pair out there somewhere. :lol:

I know right where they are.

I'm holding them hostage as a way to get you out fishing again. Soon... :-D

Hey Ed, and others that have Richardson boxes...how many trays and what options do you have? If you ordered another one would you change anything?

Hi Turkey,

My box is a 4 tray model.

Front tray = open. I ditched the felt nymph pads it came with and put a piece of self adhesive velcro on the bottom. I use medium size C&F inserts in it to hold nymphs. Works great!

Second & third tray are the 15 compartment configuration.

Fourth tray is the same, but deeper than the middle two.

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing - I like it just the way it is (now).

Heritage-Angler wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:
I just wish I could find a pair of longer straps for fishing in the cold weather. I think I have a pair out there somewhere. :lol:

I know right where they are.

I'm holding them hostage as a way to get you out fishing again. Soon... :-D
:-o :lol: :lol: That's a good one Ed. We will have to get together again and fish some this fall.

Turkey, to answer your question. My Richardson is also a 4 tray model but with the deluxe green finish. The finish on it is very durable and looks great. I thought about getting a 5 tray but went with the 4 . I have no regrets. I really like it. I have had mine about 4 or 5 years. I use the front tray as a work station. I keep shot, tippet rings, knot tool, forceps and sometimes tippet material in the first tray. Tray 2 and 3 I use for wets, some streamers and nymphs. The 4th tray is used for dry flys as the compartments are deeper than on tray 2 or 3. Overall my Richardson was one of the best purchases I made for flyfishing with the possible exception of my 4 and 5 weight Sage SLT flyrods

My version is the standard size, unpainted aluminum, with three trays. The first and second trays have 15 compartments. The third tray has one divider and two compartments. One compartment is 6" by 1 3/4 " and the other is 6" by 3 1/4 ". The main compartment is for tippet and the odds and ends I hate to fumble for with cold fingers. The narrow compartment is primarily for C & F style fly threaders. I like the threaders, but do not like the threader boxes.

The box is beautifully built and Bob paid great attention to the details.

I have an old 4 tray system. First tray is empty. I keep shot, a lighter, extra nippers, junk like that in there. I have foam trays that can be swapped out. I usually use one box for streamers, one box for wets and nymphs, and one for dries/terrestrials.

I have a 3 tray model, but they are the ones that are a little wider than they are tall. i.e. per tray there's more surface area than the square ones, I think. Green finish. I bought them with "strip foam" throughout, but tore that out, and replaced with C&F slit foam throughout (varied sizes). The outside tray lid has a leader wallet on it, leaving 5 surfaces covered with the C&F. It's got a Gink floatant holder too.

I hang nippers on a zinger on the strap. Just clamp hemo's to the strap above the box. I stick shot, tippet, and keys in a pocket, usually the waders chest pocket. But it does leave me having to be real careful about what waders I buy. i.e. I NEED a chest pocket, but it has sit low enough that the Richardson doesn't rest on it's contents.

If I had to do it over. Well, I guess I'd consider a 4 tray model, with some system to keep the shot, tippet, and leader wallet in one tray.

Thanks for all of the replies gents. Much appreciated.

When I first went to FFP, Steve had a few boxes under the counter. I haven't seen them since. I'm still on the fence about pursuing one. Time will tell.

I can say it's the best thing I ever did. I can't even imagine wearing a vest anymore. I can carry tons of flies, and it sort of forces me to go light on everything else, which is good, cause I never need that crap anyway.

Tippet, shot, nippers, forceps, a few spare leaders, floatant, flies. There is nothing else you need to have with you. And my Richardson carries all but the tippet and shot in a super light package that I don't even know I have on.

I do wear a waste pack with drinks for those super long trips.

Yeah I paired it up w/ my canvas creel for my water and other "long hike" needs (food, TP-which I haven't needed yet!, etc.). I only take the creel for all-dayers though. For a few hour jonts, it's just the Richardson.

I'd like to order new straps for it though. I have the really old straps. They're rainbow colored, and a bit narrow so they dig into my neck a little when I'm not wearing a collared shirt.

Squatch, I'd e-mail Richardson directly.

I have the black nylon straps that came with, they criss-cross in the back. They're still pretty narrow but the box is light, so it's not a big deal for me. I could see that if I were a different shape, how they could dig into the neck a little. Might be the same as yours. But you're welcome to have a look the next time we run across each other. I'm sure Richardson would supply you with a set for a reasonable price.

They also sell canvas ones, and you can get pouches for those. Better design, no neck digging I wouldn't think. You can get the same design in Amish leather, which look real nice. You can buy both from Richardson, separate from the box, though I imagine the leather one's are a bit pricy.

Yeah I've looked on their website at the strap options. I'm sure I could make something too. I like the canvas ones though because of the pouches.

I have 2. The one is set up for bass and trout. The bass is: 1 15 compartment and 2 6 compartment boxes and the trout is: 1 15 compartment and 2 Interchangeable foam insert boxes.

Joe E

How much are the foam inserts from Richardson? Their website doesn't have pricing easily laid out. Maybe I can just make inserts from A.C. Moore foams.

Andy, I think that their site says $28/pair for the interchangeable inserts.

Back