Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Reviving a disk drag
From Monessen, PA
I have an older reel, not expensive to begin with that has a disk drag. The last few times I've been out, the drag seems worthless. It isn't freespooling, just not putting up much resistence when cranked all the way up. Can this be revived by cleaning or oil/greasing? Or is the reel a goner for all practical purposes?

Posted on: 2007/7/30 19:07

-- Leo Tolstoy

Re: Reviving a disk drag

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
depending on whose reel it is, some need to be dry and some should be oiled...what make and model Jack??

Posted on: 2007/7/30 20:17

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Apollo
It could have a disc washer for the drag. If it was put away for a while the disc could have flatten out.

Posted on: 2007/7/30 21:52

From Dallastown, PA
Jack,

That is a common problem with the Okumas arfter a while or after a few big fish pull some line through the guides.

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/7/30 23:49

From Monessen, PA
Let's see. Made in China, designed by AbuGarcia in Sweden it is named "Diplomat 356."

Posted on: 2007/7/31 6:05

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Enola, Pa.
Jack

Knowing you, it must be a cheap reel...just buy a new one

Paul

Posted on: 2007/7/31 7:38

From Chester County
Jack,

Here’s a link to the schematic for your reel. The closest model is the Diplomat 256. Probably the same design, just a different size. The spring between the drag washers is likely compressed. Take it apart and see. Try to stretch the spring to get more tension. The exploded diagram will help you put it back together. You can order new parts, with this link, if you think the reel is worth fixing.

Paul’s right, a “reel” cheapie. Not you Jack, you’re precious - just your reel is cheap. Hope this helps.

http://www.abu-garcia.com/product_schematic.php?id=226.238.317#

p.s. Back off the drag tension when you're done fishin' - especially with cheap disk drag reels.

Posted on: 2007/7/31 9:17

From Monessen, PA
afishiando, thanks. That schematic looks to be exactly what I need to look into the matter. I'll let you know how it turns out. Some day I may find that the quality of my fishing equipment is a higher priority than other things that soak up my income, but until that day comes, I will remain a consumate cheapskate with my equipment. My son knows me as the "Master of the Jimmyrig" and my secretary wants me to write a book about all the workarounds I've developed over the years. I like the idea and plan to call it "1001 Ways To Skin A Cat."

Posted on: 2007/7/31 9:30

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Chester County
Jack,

Your post with your line-up of custom-made rods reminded me, how did you make out with your reel? Did you customize that too?

Posted on: 2007/10/12 11:44

From Monessen, PA
Actually, I used the schematic to disassemble the reel and reassemble it after stretching and tweeking everything I could that appeared to add tension to the drag mechanism. It seemed to help a bit, but I cannot say I totally "revived" it. I have a feeling I'm going to pay dearly if I get a steelhead on this winter. Palming a steelhead run sounds like it could be dangerous.

Posted on: 2007/10/12 15:02

-- Leo Tolstoy

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com