Review: Redington Path, Pursuit or whatever they are calling it now

krayfish2

krayfish2

I picked up two of these to loan out (9'6" - 7wt & 9' - 5wt). Any of the folks that have used these rods have stopped after a few casts and read the blank. "Man, this rod really casts nice." is the typical response. I soften the rod up a bit by putting a GPX or MPX taper on it.

The rod weight is pretty decent. It won't be ridiculously light like an $800 rod but it's pretty light in hand. As you'd expect on a lower price point rod, the cork is okay but not great. Hardware is basic and the wraps are not too sloppy in finish. The rod sports a medium fast action that's user friendly to the novice but still allows an experienced caster to toss it 50' with ease. If you compare it to the CT, I believe this will be a slightly faster blank with more of a tip flex pattern. If you are looking to fill an open slot in the line up or want a decent backup rod without breaking the bank, this is one you might consider.

Older models can be found on clearance for$59 - $99.

I have a 906 back when they definitely called it a Path. Got the combo for like 139 I think?

Agree with the review- it’s a great bang for the buck. Like you said, the cork isn’t great. the handle also feels thin for a 6 weight so it can get a little crampy on your hand after a long day.

Another drawback is the tip / first guide below that. For some reason my line likes to get fouled up there from time to time and it’s the only rod I have that it happens on. I attribute that to the angle the tip guide has, or the distance between the tip and first guide but IDK. It’s the classic situation where your fly line going out runs underneath the line going through the second to last and last guide, and you look and go “huh?” for a second... could very well be my bumbling around though :)

I’d be interested to see what the newer ones are like. Mine is 2 years old

How is this rod related or is it all related to the RS4? I have 8 foot RS4 three weight that I really like.

I have a few other Redington rods that are decent or better than decent. I also have a 10 foot seven weight Voyant that I have not really fallen in love with yet.

I had a RS4 in 4wt and liked it. I think that you'll find the path to be a little quicker and a little more tip Flex in profile.

IMO, that voyant is a dud (if it's the model I'm thinking of). Does it have a burgundy blank? If so, my buddy had one and I cast it. Felt dead and you needed a cinder block mounted on the Reel seat to balance it out because it was so tip heavy.

You got me thinking, so I checked my rod stash and I have a Pursuit I bought some years ago. It's a 9 foot 5 weight. I've never fished it, never even cast it. I guess it's time to get it wet.....

krayfish2 wrote:
I had a RS4 in 4wt and liked it. I think that you'll find the path to be a little quicker and a little more tip Flex in profile.

IMO, that voyant is a dud (if it's the model I'm thinking of). Does it have a burgundy blank? If so, my buddy had one and I cast it. Felt dead and you needed a cinder block mounted on the Reel seat to balance it out because it was so tip heavy.

The Voyant does have a burgundy blank. I have 590 in the series that I quite like. The 710 is like casting a broom stick. It does handle sinking lines decently.

Back