Regular Rods in Saltwater

R

reifer350

I am not much of a salt-water guy, but I will be getting to the beach once this year, and I would love to bring a rod to at least surf cast with. I can't really dish out for a saltwater combo right now, but will it destroy my rod to use it a few times in salt? If I wash it off immediately after will that keep it from corroding?

Use it in the salt. Just wash it down well. Line, backing and rod.

and be sure your flies are on saltwater hooks-you can ruin a box full in one trip if not-a good thing to remember fishing salt-if your reel gets into the water-TAKE it apart and clean and re oil-I ruined A $150 spinning reel by not doing so.

Yes make sure you rinse it really well. I spent a few years in Florida and i can tell you from experience if you dont rinse your rod/reel/line/backing and re-oil, you might as well just throw your whole set up in the ocean when you are done fishing. It will start corroding by the time you get back home. I had the cork on a fly rod crumble away from not being rinsed after every use. I also spent 4-5 days on the water a week.

Just got back, use whatever you want and just rinse it clean when you're done.

The one caveat that "people say" is the wood reel seats will absorb the saltwater, swell, and crack. YMMV. None of the rods I've used in the salt water have had those seats, so I can't tell you.

sandycgr.jpg

The sand will get EVERYWHERE, though, even if you don't drop it in the water for random photo ops. I only assemble/breakdown off the beach, and rinse the seat before I unscrew it to pull the reel.

Even stainless hooks will start to rust, BTW. I think alot of them are just sort of plated, so in certain wear spots it'll start up.

gfen wrote:
The one caveat that "people say" is the wood reel seats will absorb the saltwater, swell, and crack. YMMV. None of the rods I've used in the salt water have had those seats, so I can't tell you.

I just noticed that problem with my reel seat this year. Not from salt water though but from fresh water. I am going to have wait until winter to fix it.

Sorry, that quote didn't turn out the way I wanted it.

make sure you clean the guides where it is wrapped good, salt gets in there and ruins rods even salt water models. there is a product called saltX for boats and gear that works great. I used it for years.

Even stainless hooks will start to rust, BTW. I think alot of them are just sort of plated, so in certain wear spots it'll start up.

There are hooks that are nickel plated, and some bronzed or tinned as well, I believe. They can also be blued like a gun, which imparts some corrosion resistance by forming a protective oxide on the surface. But in these cases, there'd be a regular carbon steel underneath, probably a knife blade alloy high in C and or V. Hooks that rely on coatings may be marketed as "stainless", "corrosion resistant", etc., but the term "stainless steel" cannot be used. "Stainless steel" is by definition a steel with at least 10% Cr (you'll see some define it anywhere from 10% to 12% minimum Cr).

If it says stainless steel, then the base metal is a stainless steel. But understand that its not black and white between "stainless" and non-stainless, there are levels of stainlessness. And yes, salt water will make many of them rust. And as with the non-stainless steels, I believe stainless steel fish hooks use the high C, high V alloys designed for knife blades, helps hold a point. These stainlesses tend to be the least "stainless" of the bunch.

I fish the salt quite a bit and - yes - take your fly rod.

Also, take a bucket and some dish detergent and a scrub brush. At the end of the day, I throw my reels in the bucket with hot, tap water and let 'em soak (flies, pliers and other gear too). Then give 'em a scrubbing with the brush and allow to air dry. Use the soapy brush to rub down your rod too, esp the guides.

Fishidiot wrote:
I fish the salt quite a bit and - yes - take your fly rod.

Also, take a bucket and some dish detergent and a scrub brush. At the end of the day, I throw my reels in the bucket with hot, tap water and let 'em soak (flies, pliers and other gear too). Then give 'em a scrubbing with the brush and allow to air dry. Use the soapy brush to rub down your rod too, esp the guides.

You should rinse the detergent etc off your gear and reoil .Make sure to loosen your drags when your finished fishing . Don't use a heavy spray to rinse equipment as it will push salt and sand into your reels. I usuall rinse gear at least twice. I've been using Penns reel spray and it seems to work well, Puts a coating on reels and rod that sheds water?

Back