Refurbishing an old browning fiberglass rod

P

Paflyguy33

I have an old browning silaflex fiberglass fly rod. I believe it's from either the 60's or 70's it was my grandfathers then my fathers now mine. The length is 6'3" and its a 5 weight. It's paired up with an older model 1494 medalist. I'm wanting to use it for brookies but need to get it worked on. The rod is in great shape the only things needed done are possibly the finish and some of the wraps around eyes need done. I live in the carlisle area and was wondering if anyone knew somebody that is good and could refinish my rod. Any help would be great.

Depending how bad it is and how good you want it to look, I could do it for ya. My wrapping skills are great but glue skills aren't the best without a dryer. If I can't fix it up I could get someone in the area to help. Pm me ur number and we'll talk.

Remove all the guides and re-space them to a spacing designed for fishability and not a price point.

gfen,

I've never heard of that being done, but I could see how it'd really affect how the rod would handle. Is this commonly done as a part of refinishing older "consumer level" rods? How much of a change does it usually make?

There is a shop in Elizabethtown in lancaster county I highly recommend. They are reasonably priced and do wonderful work.
I had them do some of my vintage glass and I'll be using them more often.

http://dreamweaverrods.com

Cold wrote:
gfen,

I've never heard of that being done, but I could see how it'd really affect how the rod would handle. Is this commonly done as a part of refinishing older "consumer level" rods? How much of a change does it usually make?

depending on how much of a price point it was built to, significant. since wrapping the guides is the most cost intensive process of making them, the less there were the more profit it made.

there are people who know their silaflex rods, you should seek them out and ask about your specific model and if they have a preferred guide spacing than factory.

to say nothing of how pitted and rough your 40 year old guides are.

Thanks.

I wasn't OP, but I do have a pair of old glass rods (a Berkley Parametric 6wt and a Shakespeare Wonderglass HCH (7wt)).

Google the phrase "static flyrod guide spacing" and you'll find information on how to determine the optimum guide spacing based on the specific blank you are testing.

It's not hard to do and after you do it just 1 time, you'll not want to take any generic recommendation for spacing based on a specific rod's length again. It's amazing what the test technique uncovers.

I'm not trying to tare the rod apart it is in mint condition. I would just like to possibly refinish it and fix a little of wrapping on the eyes. Everything on and about this rod is good just some thread wraps around some eyes coming loose.

DearPaflyguy,

I'm posting in hopes that JF sees this and can add something to my answer.

There was a guy in Pottsville who ran a fly shop called Ed's Fly Shop. It was right after you crossed the Schuylkill on Rte 61 and made a right on 209.

I know he closed his shop and I don't know if he is still walking amongst us, but he rebuilt a Fenwick FS140 4'6" spinning rod for me about 7 or 8 years ago.

He did a perfect job and even had the exact matching thread for the wraps. His price was almost too cheap and his work was flawless.

No offense to anyone that has been suggested so far, but if he is still around he's the guy I'd look for to do the job.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

If you can send me some pics of the rod, good closeups, I can give you an estimate for a refinish. I am an amateur rod builder, but I do nice work. Let me know if you are interested, I can show you some pics of what I have done.

The hardest part of a refinish is getting all of the old varnish or epoxy off of the blank, the rest isn't too bad. It just takes time.

Jesse

BTW, Ed in Pottsville is happily retired. Saw him last year....

PennsylvaniaJesse wrote:
BTW, Ed in Pottsville is happily retired. Saw him last year....

Yes he is retired, but Uncle Ed is still kicking.

His best fishing buddy is one of the very best custom rod builders in the country, however. His work is absolutely stunning, and he's the guy I'd look to to make this rod like new.

He's done this sort of thing for decades, and his prices are good. His name is Randy Emerich - aka BigDadyRods. Randy is also a PAFF member, but doesn't post much.

Check out his website....

http://bigdadyrods.com/

That sounds like the guy I would be looking for. Good tip.

Back