Reel to balance TFO 9' 4wt Lefty Kreh Professional Series?

gaeronf

gaeronf

What, in your guys' opinion would be the best Reel to balance TFO 9' 4wt Lefty Kreh Professional Series? I recently built the rod with Ben Turpin and I want to get a semi good reel that will match up with it.

What do you want to spend?

For about 100 get an orvis BBS or Lamson konic
There are othe options For less

It's impossible to tell without actually trying it. Most reputable shops will allow you to take a rod in and test balance. Do it. To test simply balance the rod on 1 finger and find the balance point. Now, with backing and line on the reel, you want the balance point to be on the handle. I like it a little forward, almost at the front of the cork, but thats a matter of personal preference. Since you likely won't have backing and line on for the test, take it into account, the balance point should be a little ahead of the cork, as the weight of the line and backing will bring it back a little.

Most decent quality modern reels are weighted to balance modern graphite rods fairly well. You're gonna have lots of choices. It gets a little more difficult with bamboo and glass, which vary MUCH more in weight and distribution.

For instance, the Orvis BBS and regular battenkill do fine on all of my graphite sticks, and I've found them to be as reliable as can be asked. But they are woefully underweight for my boo.

bring your rod to a fly shop and ask to look at reels. It's that simple. Most shops should have no problem with letting you do this and even cast a while if you're interested in buying a new reel.

Back