Reel suggestions

B

boychick

I got a nice gift certificate to the local fly shop for my birthday. I’m looking to upgrade to a large arbor reel for a 5 wt. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-B

how much $$ do you want to spend?
what brands does the shop carry?

What Ramcatt said.

The Gift Card is for $100. I'd go up to $200ish. I've looked at Lamson Guru, Orvis Hydros and Sage 1650 or 1850. The shop has Orvis, Lamson, Sage, Hardy, Ross, Bauer, Nautilus, & Abel. If they don't have something they'll order it. The only limitation is the budget.

Thanks guys.

-B

The two reels I use most often for trout fishing are a Lamson Velocity and a Ross Rhythm. Both are fine reels so I would tell you to look seriously at either brand. There should be models in your price range.

Given your price range, I'd say a Ross CLA or Lamson Guru would be a good choice. The Orvis reels I have are the smallest BBS's and I don't have any experience with Sage reels. Some of the others you listed are well north of $200.

My next reel will probably be a ross or a nautilus. I know they are both good reels and I think you should be ok for a few models in the $200.00 range.

If your shop is a Lamson dealer they should be able to slick you up with a Litespeed for somewhere in the $200 range as they're on closeout for the newest model release. They all have the same drag size in the smaller models so it comes down to weight and finish after that. The Hard Alox is just about as bullet proof a finish as they come.

Litespeed Closeout MRFC

A close out lite speed would have been ideal, but they've been long gone for some time now. Anyone have any experience with the Sage reels? Thanks for everyone's input.

I heart Ross reels. Didn't mean to repeat myself.

buy the hydros just for the warranty and save just a few bucks a month and when the hydros is wore out u can get a good reel

Unless you are fishing for big fish / big water and light tippets, you can get by with any reel. You don't need to dump a pile of cash on a sealed disc drag unless you think you'll need it. I fished an old Hardy clicker on the Beaverkill for 15 yrs and had no issues.

With that said, I did get a Velocity and have 3 Evolutions. Both are solid reels and should last a long time.... but so did the old Hardy.

I'd rather see you get a mid priced reel and a good quality fly line.

I'd vote for a Guru and some Rio Gold. Should get you in for around $250 total.

the ironic thing is now old Hardy clickers do require a pile of cash.

I like the Orvis mid arbor reels. You can find them for about $100 at most shops. I have the Orvis large arbor but I like the mid arbors better.
Reels are like anything else in fly fising, it is all about what you like and feel confident in using. Try different ones and compare their drag system and other features. For me the drag is the most important feature of any reel.
Just my 2 cents.
Bill

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve been fishing an Orvis battenkill for years. It’s a good reel and I’ll continue to use it. Its major deficiencies are line coil and retrieve rate.

I’m planning a trip out West this summer and I wanted something that could handle big cutthroats in big water. I have a brand new Rio gold line still in the box. I’m good to go in that department.

Bill, the Orvis mid-arbor is a great reel. I use one for smallmouth fishing, its only down side is weight. I find it a bit heavy.

Seems like Lamson gets a lot of love from you guys, I assume for good reason. Has anyone had any experience with the Sage reels (1650 or 1850)? I like their pricing, but don’t know anything about them.

Can't speak for the sage reels. but the lamsons are very nice. i have the guru on my 4wt and a litespeed for my 7wt. they offer a nice large arbor design with very good drags. the only down side I've come across is the width of the spool, sometimes requires attention to the way the line stacks when reeling in. other than that im very pleased with them.

i have a hydros 7 weight. large arbor. it is realllllyy nice. but honestly, some of the orvis battenkills are nicer $ to quality.

Go for an Abel click and pawl... Lots of fun without drag just you and the fish. A drag is nice but It's a little impersonal for me. Feeling the movement of a big fish in bigger water is a blast and when you can change the amount of pressure on them as needed. Buy a used one in good condition and if you don't like it just resell it and you shouldn't lose any or much money.

Back