HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Reel Question

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
It's just an educated guess, but I'm thinking that fish in his avatar was from a mountain stream and probably landed in 10 seconds or something. If it is exhausted, it's from examining closely and taking many pictures, which I will exuse him from, since it's a freakin tiger!!!!! If I caught a wild tiger, yeah, I think I'd go all out on the gawking and picture side of things. Don't worry, it wasn't going to reproduce anyway!
Actually, that wild tiger was caught during the summer in an unstocked limestoner. I landed it with my Sage SLT 8'6" 4 weight with 5X tippet on a size 12 Harry Steeves crystal butt cricket I tied myself. Landed it pretty quickly, snapped several photos and put him back in the water, no worse for the wear. BTW the fish is not exhausted it's smiling because he is about to become a star!

Posted on: 2013/6/10 22:25

From Johnstown, PA
You can get away with a handline for starfish. There is not much more pleasant to me than gettin them on the reel quickly and then hear that drag sing , even if it's just a few notes.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 6:48

From South Central PA
The main thing I like about new and expensive tech is that it creates CURRENT jobs, both on the shop floor and in the marketing department. The runner-up reason is it reduces competition in the snipe hunting forest.

Men have long had a love affair with the newest offerings in tech from audio electronics to fly rods and reels. I see no reason to try to argue against that. It's recreation, so it's all about want not need, and by definition discretionary spending money.

Similarly, I understand people buy cable TV subscriptions for upwards of $100 per month for reasons completely foreign to me. Now there's a real head scratcher unless you need an electronic babysitter.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 8:56

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Hey Phil,

I thought you used a Maryyat fly reel up on the D. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Sadly I don't think the drag on the Marryat even got any use...it was on the nymph rod and all the fish rode out the riff with me...now that rod/reel are in the bottom of that pool

Posted on: 2013/6/12 13:30

From Eastern PA
Quote:

foxfire wrote:
Why invest in an expensive fly reel? I fish mostly small to mid sized streams and find that the reel is merely a repository for the fly line. Feathering the line with my fingers functions as the drag. Now I can see how big waters/big fish would require or benefit from a functional drag, but I just don't get the difference between a $300.00+ versus a $50.00 reel when using smaller weighted lines - other than maybe size and reel weight? Please educate me!!

Form with function?
Aesthetics?
Durability?
Workmanship?
Warranty?
Pride of ownership?
Love of the gear associate with the sport?
Disposable income?

Posted on: 2013/6/14 17:37

From Ligonier
All valid points jdaddy! I mainly was referring too why - mechanically.

Posted on: 2013/6/19 13:44

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com