Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Reel Question

From Dauphin PA
7x or 8x ??? I don't even own that crap. If they won't take it on 6x, you've got the wrong fly.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 21:54

From Carbon County
Really krayfish? Does it matter what you use? I'm just sayin there may be a situation where you use 7x and use the drag, believe it or not. Just because you don't doesn't mean no one else does. Just trying to give this guy some advice on a cheap reel I have some expierence with. That's all. I don't own 8x either but I do use 7x from time to time and I'm sure other people do also.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 22:39

From Philadelphia PA
I can't say I use the reel to much. most of my line control is in the hand. Guess I'm not fishing for the big ones - and then again used the same control at Salmon river last year. No Net equated to no salmon.

Check out the Orvis Clearwater or Access reels.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 8:03
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

Dcap240 wrote:
Really krayfish? Does it matter what you use? I'm just sayin there may be a situation where you use 7x and use the drag, believe it or not. Just because you don't doesn't mean no one else does. Just trying to give this guy some advice on a cheap reel I have some expierence with. That's all. I don't own 8x either but I do use 7x from time to time and I'm sure other people do also.

Im sure Kray didn't mean anything by it. No worries. Being an advocate for a click drag I'll add that a soft tipped rod is great for protecting light tippets. I don't own 7x but there have been times on Spring Ck where I'd tie on a size 24 midge and wish I had it.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 21:34

From Ligonier
Thanks for the advice on cheapy reels - good timing too. My older back-up cheap rod and reel combo fell off the rod rack yeaterday and the bolt which holds the handle on sheared off. So I need to replace.

BTW are there rod racks specifically designed for fly rods?? I have rod cases but it's a pain to break down rods after fishing particulary since I have a space to store them assembled.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 9:48

From Chester County
I suggest you buy an inexpensive reel, not a cheap one. My basement is filled with cheap reels that don't work now and never really worked well when new.

I do agree, for 90% of PA trout fishing, an inexpensive reel like maybe a click and pawl that balances well on your rod is all you need. Stay away from the ones made from a lot of plastic parts or even plastic bodies and spools. Machined aluminum is best, but there are some decent cast aluminum ones out there.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 10:01

From Dauphin PA
Take my post for what it's worth. "Does it matter what you use?". To me, it sure does. I see way to many people out there that play the fish to complete and utter exhaustion. Is it lack of fish fighting ability, ignorance or tippet that is too light? What do I use? 4x & 5x. Tricos or midges will get 6x if the fish are smaller. Dcap, it's not my first rodeo. In my eyes 99% of the game is fooling the fish. Playing them is only sketchy when it's a giant. As soon as I hook one, my leader is as tight as a banjo string. That fish will be netted in under 2 minutes or I'll break it off trying to quickly land it. I just think use of 7x, 8x etc is not necessary and can only end up in exhausted / dead trout. I was at the Tully one morning and think there was a guy fishing #28 on 12x. 50% of fish he broke off and the remainder were set free / floated away belly up. You want me to condone that? I can't.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 10:32

From Lehigh Valley
I was up in the Upper D the past few days and would say having a decent reel can come in handy. I connected with a handful of hogs and unfortunately they didn't go on many runs...or they ran at me or just started doing immediate cart wheels, which made them difficult to land. In my last few hours of the trip I had a nice bank sipper put the reel to the test and then into the net...I still mainly use an old mid grade Redington reel.
Steelhead, esp NY tribs, can blow up a cheap reel.
Tarpon have to be one of hardest on a reel, not that I know much about this from personal experience. I have an old video done by Stu Apte, an OG tarpon legend, he keeps his drag at only 2-3 lbs then pulls out a white glove while the fish is on its first run so he can cup the reel to add drag...so that puts it in prospective. I don't see myself doing this anytime soon, but I might have on old golf glove somewhere

Posted on: 2013/6/10 11:28

From Philadelphia PA
Reels play a part in the balance and weight of the flyrod. Cheap can sometimes work against you. Make sure it is slightly butt heavy when full. If it is tip heavy because the reel is to light - it will wear out your arm faster than the fish will.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 15:22
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Clinton County, Pa.
I use a 2 weight flyrod and 7X tippet for fishing size 24 tricos on several limestoners. I don't fight them to the point of exhaustion. I honestly don't think I take any more time fighting the fish than I do with 6X. The key is knowing HOW to fight the fish. Some people will fight a trout to exhaustion no matter what tippet size they are using.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 16:14

From Banshee
I don't know, that fish on your avatar looks pretty exhausted.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 16:19

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's just an educated guess, but I'm thinking that fish in his avatar was from a mountain stream and probably landed in 10 seconds or something. If it is exhausted, it's from examining closely and taking many pictures, which I will exuse him from, since it's a freakin tiger!!!!! If I caught a wild tiger, yeah, I think I'd go all out on the gawking and picture side of things. Don't worry, it wasn't going to reproduce anyway!

Posted on: 2013/6/10 16:27

From Dauphin PA
It's not eexhausted, it's sleeping. Tiger trout frequently suffer from narcolepsy to to crossbreeding. Lol. +1 to WTT. If you are good at fighting a fish, it can be manhandled...even on 6x. The probe is not many people are good at ending the battle quickly.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 21:14

From Landenberg, PA
I think you should buy the best reels you can afford. Reels plural.

It's nice to have good stuff that lasts and fish with it. I guess most if us leave the house with at least two reels, one as a back up or alternative method or venue - nothing worse than your only days fishing being busted by low or high water or jammed reel.

I think what you should spend depends on how often you fish, the type of fishing and how serious you are about catching.

I have 13 reels and 18 spools for six line weights (including Spey) all which get used regularly during the year. So I have to consider form, function and overall cost.

If you only fish small streams buy four reels at your total outlay 2 weights, each with a spare to cover all eventualities imho.

So yeah if you can afford a hardy or an orvis reel setup go for it. If you can't, don't.

Me, I've settled for the $150-$180 price point in makes, some purchased on ebay or speypages. It's where I can afford to have that many reels and spools and still cover all bases for trout, Salmon, bass, and striper fishing that I want to do each year.

Cheers.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 21:40

From Dauphin PA
Hey Phil,

I thought you used a Maryyat fly reel up on the D. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 22:14

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com