Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Redington or Simms?

From Bozeman
I just got my second pair of simms and I am absolutely not happy with the durability. Both legs are soaked after 5-6 trips, and I have visually identified holes on both inseams.

My simms g3 waders, however, lasted a few years and are still going strong in a backup role.

I will not pay full price for simms waders after this experience, but am curious to see what comes of my interaction with them. From my own experiences and the experiences of those I know, I have to say that simms is all bark, no bite when it comes to brand recognition. We're all victims of strong marketing, IMnHO.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 16:40

From Harrisburg
Dear Rick,

There are two schools of thought regarding waders.

1) Get the absolute best you can afford and wait for them to fail so you can send them back and biotch about their customer service on the internet.

2) Go cheap knowing they will fail and treat them carefully. When they fail toss 'em.

I'm in camp # 2 mostly because I can get a pair of 2XL Orvis waders and fit in them. I know Orvis waders suck, but they fit me unlike every other pair of 2XL waders I've ever tried.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/4/22 23:00
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Lehigh Valley
Guys,
thanks for the replies,Iknow its gonna be hard to find a replacement for my older Redington stockingfoots,they lasted 14 years and for the first six years i fished about 100-130 days a year in them.
Im currently in a toss up, I have heard nothing but good things about the Simms G4Z zipper model and the Sonic Pro by Redington.
My older Redington Barrierflex stockingfoots were made way before Sage bought Redington , I'm wondering if the quality and service is as good as it was at Redington.
Tim, I agree to a point about #2.I also know that the Simms i am looking at are a hellish amount of beans and that the Redingtons i also am looking at cost almost twice what i paid for the older Redingtons.But if i can get that kind of wear out of a pair,well one thing i have learned from traveling and fishing here and there is that we spend alot of time planning ,tying, and preparing for our lil addiction,makes no cents literally to have a problem with equipment by buying cheap stuff unless misery likes company.
I don't entertain discomfort at all where it pertains to my outdoor enjoyment, Be it hunting or fishing or anything else that deals with constant changing enviroments and weather.
I prefer to get warranties or great servicce albeit even if it costs a lil more.Waders are an area that i won't scrimp especially because i love to chase Salmon/Steelhead/and Lake Run Browns as well as fish during the winter.Being cold and wet is a recipe for disaster.
I was just asking for fellow anglers opions and or experiences.I have a Simms Guide Windstopper Guide jacket that is at least 13 years old and still works perfect.that is the reason I'm entertaining more Simms products.
And like everyone else i value and work long hours to make my money and money doesn't grow on trees.but Bad purchases make you spend way more than if you just bought the better product to start with..just my 2 cents.I am 6'3" 250-265 pounds so sizing is important to me.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. anyone else have experience with Simms Or Redington waders?

Posted on: 2011/4/22 23:37

From Harrisburg
Dear Rick,

Hey, I got 9 years out of the worst waders ever made, Orvis Clearwaters. No one else anywhere ever liked them. They were too lightweight and they were an ugly bluish green color and they leaked according to everyone else. I guess I got the one good pair?

I'm 6'5" and 330, and Orvis 2XL's fit me like I paid a tailor to make them for me.

Personally, I can't see the need for 3 or 4 layers of breathable material in a wader. I mean, if one layer is breathable, and then you triple or quadruple the breathable material all it does is get more expensive and more sweatier. But I'm big and fat, so what do I know?

Get cheap waders that allow a range of movement and if you are one of those people that kneels alot buy a pair of wrestling kneepads to slip over your waders. You'll save 100's of dollars that way.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2011/4/23 0:22
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Southwest, Pa
my buddies are simms advocates, yet, within a year of all having g3 or g4's, sprung a leak.

since they are guides, they do get a sickening discount, which keeps them with the company, however, if you buy simms as a laymen and they leak, they repair upon you sending them back.

gonia on the other hand... replaces

i'm not sure on redington, but I would go with gonia's or beans man... can't beat the guarantee

Posted on: 2011/4/23 11:27

-Art Lee

From Southwest, Pa
Quote:

Ramcatt wrote:
i have the sonic pros (non zip)
bombproof with a great fit
same ratio of 3 and 5 layer material as simms G4... but with no stitching
half the price... but i don't get to be cool and tell everyone i have simms waders

lol

Posted on: 2011/4/23 11:31

-Art Lee

From Eastern PA
$400 pair of Simms G3 leaked within a few trips. They are pretty annoying. I bought Simms boots at the same time and they failed within a month. I emailed Simms and asked what I needed to do and they said their boots are not made in US and they don't know how to fix them. Told me to take the to a cobbler. Jesus. Screw Simms.

Redsun has G3's sent them back and Simms lost them, found them, lost them took 6-8 weeks to get them back. Repair seems to have worked.

Posted on: 2011/4/24 16:44

I'm glad I went with the $100 Frog Toggs instead of Simms.

Posted on: 2011/4/25 21:57

I'm glad I went with the $100 Frog Toggs instead of Simms.

Posted on: 2011/4/25 21:59

From SEPA
He's very glad he went with the $100 Frog Toggs instead of Simms.

Posted on: 2011/4/25 22:04

From Bozeman
I was preparing to tear into simms, but my experience with them thus far has been super pleasant.

I got a pair of freestone zip fronts that wore through both inseams within a handful of trips. Called simms today and they were more than willing to make a lateral trade for the gore tex headwaters, and offered me the g3 for the price difference. I refuse to take another pair of the freestones, since they are made overseas with inferior materials, and seem to be poorly designed. They were willing to hear me out and work with me on that.

Unlike jdaddy, my experience with the g3s has been awesome. They are the toughest, most comfortable waders I've owned, and haven't leaked yet. I expect to get a few more years out of them in a backup role. That said, I did aquaseal all of the seams after about two years of use.

I think I am going to go for the g3 convertible at a $100 trade-up.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 13:06

I used to use cabela's brand waders for years. I was turning them in almost once a year for a new pair usually as they started leaking or to extend my warranty on them as I have been stuck at 13 months and 15 months and lost my as$ on them as they pro-rated the waders. Recently I purchase the LL Bean helix waders and would say they are nice especially for around $300 with a LIFETIME no questions asked satisfaction guarantee. Service has been awesome so far as I ordered a pair on a monday mid day and had them by wednesday with free shipping. Just ordered a pair of the waist high model today and paid for overnight as I need them by friday the latest. Pleasant people to do business with, outstanding return policy.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 22:15

From Perkiomenville
Knock on wood my Simms freestones haven't leaked yet, so far I am happy with them. Definitly an upgrade over a pair of Hodgmans that I had for 5 years which saw a lot of hard use and several tubes of aquaseal.

Posted on: 2011/4/26 22:34

From Lancaster County
I have a pair of Cloudveil 8X waders and a pair of Cloudveil Crystal Creek wading pants. They have performed well, and you can't beat unzipping to relieve in the pants..

I bought a pair of William Joseph wading pants too; they were HORRIBLE for size. The large was big enough for me to get into one leg, but the bootie was about a size 7. They supposedly had issues with one model year (uh, yup!) and will also allegedly be replacing the mis-sized ones with this model year (after four months of back and forth!).

Posted on: 2011/4/26 22:54

Quote:
Cloudveil 8X

worst waders... ever

i had something like 3 or 4 pairs... each leaked in the foot
super comfortable, but they couldn't figure out how to make a proper bootie

looks like this will be year #2 of their "break and refocus" from flyfishing

Posted on: 2011/4/26 23:48

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com