Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Reddington Butterstick

From Landenberg PA
Has anyone casted or fished one?

I have never used a slower rod so I am curious. I am a huge Redington fan, but the price seems a bit high. Im not buying one tomorrow.

Thanks

Posted on: 4/30 20:58

Re: Reddington Butterstick

From harlansburg
I haven't casted a butterstick yet, but if I were in the market for a REAL redington rod, I'd buy one from Dave himself, made in florida by he and his wife
http://www.southforkrodcompany.com/

Posted on: 4/30 21:01

From New Castle, PA
The shorter lighter line models are nice but the longer lengths and heavier lines weights are not in my opinion. The longer models feel floppy and weird, the shorter models have a degree of crispness due to better recovery. They are very similiar to the Lamiglas blanks I've built on but somewhat better action characteristics. In that regard they are a good value.

They are listed at about $250 retail. They are attractive rods if you are into yellow glass, the components and quality are what you'd expect for a $250, Asian made rod. The price is really not that high considering they are a niche rod, and are not for everyone. You aren't going to get into modern glass rods at a lower price unless you build yourself and shop carefully for a blank.

On the other hand the new Orvis glass rods are VERY nice casting rods. And at about $400 bucks you get better components, better cork, made in the USA and most importantly, a rod with a very nice action that casts like a dream. These are still reasonably priced in my opinion, however you can get some very nice used glass rods from reputable contemporary custom makers at this price.

If you can wait and save a few more bucks, go with the Orvis for sure. However if you are questioning spending $250 or more on new glass, I suggest that you may be better off putting that towards a graphite rod and filling in any gaps in your arsenal, say a 9' rod for 7 or 8wt line for bass or steelhead. My point being, if cash is tight, buy something utilitarian and which will serve a well defined purpose rather than just buying something that seems cool or catches your eye.

Kev

Posted on: 4/30 21:38

From SEPA
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
I haven't casted a butterstick yet, but if I were in the market for a REAL redington rod, I'd buy one from Dave himself, made in florida by he and his wife

I am exceedingly happy with mine.

Posted on: 4/30 21:54

From Landenberg PA
Thanks for the advice. It certainly caught my eye and I have been interested in a shorter (7ft) rod, figured I would ask about their glass and if it was something worth the price. Obviously I am new to the world of glass rods and their price points.

I have mostly been interested in the 8/9 wt arena anyhow that would give me versatility to target more species before I worry about a smaller rod.

Still would want to cast it :) Kev, while I am on it what was your cut off for length where they felt weird?

Posted on: 4/30 22:53

From New Castle, PA
These rods seem to do best in the 6'6" and shorter models. I wouldn't recommend purchasing the 7' or longer unless you can see them first hand. Some guys love floppy glass. I'm not one of those guys.

Kev

Posted on: 5/1 1:52

From Dauphin
Ill second what Gfen said. My Southfork is freaking sweet. I bought a 7 foot 1 piece for around a hundred. It's a sweeeeet stick

Posted on: 5/1 7:48

From Dauphin
And I forgot I gave the butter stick the wiggle test. WAsnt a fan like kev said it was way to floppy.

Posted on: 5/1 7:50

From SEPA
Quote:

Paulson wrote:
I have mostly been interested in the 8/9 wt arena anyhow that would give me versatility to target more species before I worry about a smaller rod.

This is not a place where fiberglass rods will ever excel, or even compete, compared to graphite.

Posted on: 5/1 10:05

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:

Amazing rod. I used a 3wt from the Fiberglass Manifesto loan program last Fall when I was up in NCPA for a long weekend. I hated to send it back!

Posted on: 5/1 10:26

From lancaster county
I'm a big fan of 1 PC rods. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 7' 4wt south fork.

Posted on: 5/1 10:27

From Landenberg PA
@gfen, a 8/9 not in glass!

Posted on: 5/1 12:21

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

Paulson wrote:

i'd go for the Greys Platinum XD Saltwater in 9.

its an awesome rod, i bought one when a buddy of mine from the Cape bought one and liked it so much he relegated his Sage Xi3 to back up.

He took four to Weipa Australia for jacks and queenfish...

back on subject though - why glass in the shorter lengths ? i mean compared to bamboo.

I have a 9ft 7wt glass rod for shad, float tubing and steelhead for its softer action btw.

Posted on: 5/1 17:12

From Landenberg PA
I'll look into it...I am in browsing mode right now.

On the shorter glass rod I was throwing the idea around of a brookie rod. Slower action because I don't have one. Im sure graphite would come before to do that spectrum though.

Posted on: 5/1 19:06

Another option out there, for $50 less is the new line of Echo Glass. I have the 6'9" 3 wt for small stream fishing and have really enjoyed using it the few times I have been out. Nothing is more fun than the bend a nice wild trout can put in a glass rod.

Posted on: 5/5 7:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com