Recommendation on a New Outfit

K

kinger26

Hi, I'm new to both your forum and to NE PA fishing! I'm really looking forward to fishing the small brookie streams and I'd like to get a outfit for it. I've currently got a Sage XP 9'5wt and a Sage VT2 9'4wt. I'm thinking of something in the 6.6 to 7.6' range in a 3wt. I'd like to spend no more than $500 on both rod and reel. What rod/reel combo would you put together if you were to do so today?

Thanks!

St crix avid and echo carbon seem to be very popular.rods at a modest price point. I believe they both make 2 &3 weights in the 7-7 1/2 foot range. A nice old hardy flyweight would make a sweet little set up. Are you open to a used rod? You might find and old sage LL series for cheap.

Sage VT2 9'4wt.

learn to use this. wish it was 8' for "tiny brook trout omg, omg, omg" however under 4wt you are generally under gunned. again, your Sage VT2 9'4wt is fine.

Kinger, check your PM's

Well, as jdaddy says, it'll work. It's a little long to be ideal, but it'll work. If you were only going to do the brookie thing on occasion, I'd agree with him.

If you're going to be doing it alot, it makes sense to get a specialized tool for the job. Personally, I do like heavier weight lines, a 7'6" 5 wt would be perfect but can be hard to find. Many who think like me end up with 4 wts, and overline em a bit. Others like 2 and 3 wts.

I've only heard good things about the echo carbon, but never tried one. I use a Cortland GRX, 7'6" 4/5 wt, and love that, but I don't think they make it anymore. Pretty much everyone makes 3 and 4 wts in the 7-8' range, so it really depends on what you're looking for in action. I like hand cannons, and going that route, St. Croix Imperials are very nice rods, they make a 7' 3 wt and a 7'6" 4 wt and either would run you a touch over $200.

For brookie work, don't hesitate to really skimp on the reel. It's gotta balance the rod, and thats IT. Drag isn't really coming in to play, and you're gonna bang this thing around on rocks and such.

I use a 6'6" 3wt as my brookie rod. As pcray said, 'in different words', different strokes for different folks. My rod was custom built by mike creek rods. Skip is the man! He hooked me up with a complete custom bookie rod for well under 200$ I put a lamson velocity 1.5 on it. Lets just say ( • )( • )s

pcray1231 wrote:
Personally, I do like heavier weight lines, a 7'6" 5 wt would be perfect.

Going that route, absolutely. Small brookie stream or technical waters such as Letort Spring Run, you have arrived.

nooo owl eyes glow

And I use a 3 wt for almost everything. Even the Leturt.

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
nooo owl eyes glow
Like bio-luminescence? Pcray is that true?

I don't think so. I don't know of ANY animals with bio-luminescent eyes. Not saying they don't exist, I'm sure there's some deep sea creature or something.

Many animals with excellent night vision have highly reflective eyes when you shine a light on em. They have some layer which selectively screens incoming wavelengths. They see only the wavelengths which pass, you see the reflected ones. It makes day vision poorer, and night vision better.

But it's reflected light, not mkaing it's own.

I do a lot of sml stream fishing and have too many rods for it. They just kind of multiplied over the years. If you're looking for a used one PM me.

Check with Ratgunner and see what he has. And if you still need some recommendations:

I use my Orvis Clearwater II 7.6 3wt all the time on small creeks.

Agree 100% with Pcray. A heavier line, IMO,,will generally throw a tighter loop with less effort. Both are necessary on brookie streams as tighter loops keep you from hanging up as much and the reduced effort really pays off after a long day on the water.

I was slictly a 3wt guy for small water stuff. I was testing rods looking to a 6' or 6'6" brookie rod. With a 6' 3wt Orvis Trout Bum, my loops were so large that my newbie friend was able to see it. I ended. Up getting a 6'6" 4wt TB with a 5wt line and could not believe the difference.

Hey All, Thanks for your input. I'd not thought about the whole heavier line/tighter loops, but it makes sense. I was thinking "short and light" in order to get through the brush and trees, and not spook fish. Lots to think about. In perusing the forum I see a lot of you are using the Echo Carbon. I'm not familiar with Echo rods, but I'll look into them.

Back