Rain gear for fishing

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I've been thinking lately that I ought to get some sort of rain coat or poncho or something so I can fish when it's raining outside. Anybody have recommendations? I'd want to spend as little as possible. I was thinking about getting one of those waterproof coats from walmart's sporting goods section since they're so cheap.

I'm not really sure how I'd make a raincoat work with my fishing vest though - do I wear the vest outside my coat and let it get saturated? Or should I get a raincoat that's large enough for me to wear my vest underneath it?

I wear my vest under my rain coat and the vest still gets wet. I too was thinking (shopping) of better rain coat.
Good Luck
Saen

I am a firm beliver that when it comes to rainwear you get what you pay for. I work outside everyday in all kinds of weather. Goretex is the best way to go. You could look on ebay or the web for some discounted goretex jackets. I purchased a simms guide jacket last year and love it. I love to wear it in the early spring to fish as well just to help keep warm. You could even look at some goretex golf jackets. They might be cheaper and lighter . Check out Eastern Mountain Sports as well or any outdoor hiking/camping shop.

Check out Rivers West gear. I use and recommend their products.

http://www.riverswest.com/

Joe

I was lucky to get a Mountain Hardwear Epic rain jacket for about 50 bucks. It's awesome. Washing it every now and then while applying DWR does the trick and it keeps me super dry and is fairly light. I'd highly recommend it--it's lasted 2 years so far with no problems.

Spend a little an get a jacket hat will keep you dry. Those cheapo ones will last an hour or so until they fail under heavy rain. And where your vest underneath the jacket. Or scrap the vest an get a lanyard or smaller chest pack.

One problem I've had with inexpensive rain jackets over the years is the lack of ventilation. They may keep the rain out but if they don't breath then I end up almost as wet from the condensation inside the jacket. That's doesn't mean you have to spend $$$ to get a good jacket. I've got several years on a Columbia rain jacket I picked up for something like $25 at Gander Mountain. It has lots of openings to allow for ventilation while still being waterproof.

As to the vest inside or out, for me that depends. If I expect to be fishing in the rain all day, I'll wear the vest outside and just let it get wet. It'll dry out overnight. If I'm just covering up for a shower that I don't expect to last, the jacket goes over the vest so when it stops raining I still have a dry vest when I remove the rain jacket.

I will add that I did splurge and get myself a Patagonia "Deep Wading" Jacket for Christmas, on sale at Madison River Fishing Company (www.mrfc.com). Haven't worn it yet so can't offer a review. I wanted a shorter wading length jacket as opposed to the full length Columbia jacket.

I like the idea of a mid-range colombia jacket - glad you hear that they're decent. Maybe I'll go that direction rather than wasting money on a cheap one. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I have used the ll bean PAC-lite goretex jacket for several years. I'm 5'8", 165 and I have a large for over Bulky vest. It folds to fit in back vest pocket. Big and bulky is bad. Rain stops, suns out its warm jacket off, hang on bush fish downstream and go back to find jacket. price can't be beat. Poncho is worthless. their emerger II is less money and looks good. With bean postage and return policy I'd look at that first.

+1 JohnPowers, I like LL Bean gear and with the return policy and free shipping you can't beat it.

Back