R.L. Winston Fly Rod Question - What model?

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

My neighbor handed me a R.L. Winston Fly Rod today and asked if I could find out any information about it. I've search online and can't seem to find out what model it is. Here's what I know:

Model/Serial number is 7708

8'6" 6 weight, 2 piece.

Comes in hard tube (with the Winston Sticker) and he got it in the late eighties (he thinks). It looks brand new to me and definitely hasn't seen much water.

Pretty sure it's a graphite rod. Really flexy tip.

Any insight into possible value or model name? I don't know much about Winston Rods. Is this an IM6? I've attached a photo...

20160717_113147-01_zpszeiv2vqn.jpeg

Thanks!

-Michael

I'm not a historian,, but I thought most of their rods had a model designation on them. Call Winston up if all else fails.

You can always contact Winston.

I'd be interested to see more of the rod, though. What do the ferrules look like? What does the reel seat look like?

Good idea! I e-mailed them and will let you guys know if I hear anything back. In the mean time, here are a few more photos if they help at all.

20160717_154917_zpsq7chdcnn.jpg

20160717_154815_zpsejtjgltf.jpg

20160717_154901_zpshuhiyfz6.jpg

20160717_154844_zps0tj8ld1s.jpg

20160717_154735_zps4qaoouyn.jpg

Not an IM6 as it is earlier than that. Looks to be an early Winston probably on a Fisher blank. It's value is worth about the same as when new.

Thanks man! What would it go for new?

CRB wrote:
Not an IM6 as it is earlier than that. Looks to be an early Winston probably on a Fisher blank. It's value is worth about the same as when new.

Why do think that? It looks like IM6s I've seen.

(And to be nit-picking, it's certainly not a early Winston. They've been making rods since 1929. Cane, of course.)

San Francisco made, looks to be cherry. Maybe worth around $600 on eBay? I think in that era it was just a graphite selection.

From what I've read, judging by that low serial #, it's a pre IM6 Fisher. How's it cast?

SteveG - sounds like you may be right - http://bigfishin.net/regarding-pre-im6-rods/

From what I'm reading, it sounds like any serial number below #11,500 were Fisher blanks and were pre-IM6. Haven't had a chance to cast it yet. I'll put some line on it and try it out soon. Still trying to figure out what a fair value to offer him would be. Everything I read says its a great dry fly rod, very much like glass.

Here's some more information - http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/348931-winston-pre-im6-9-3wt-not-sure-what-i-have.html

It sounds like the Fisher blanks are sought after. Any insight as to why the renown around his blanks?

It all depends on whom is bidding up on ebay. In my judgement I would offer $300-$400 for the rod. Nice rod to cast and fish. You have to remember that rod is @30 years old, repairs may be expensive if it can be. Have you cast it are the ferrules tight?
Let us know how you do.

That's a Montana rod not a san Fran one. It's worth what someone will pay, but being two piece and an 8'6 6 weight I'd say in the range of 225-275, on a good day on eBay it may get up around 325.

It's a well regarded rod and probably a good fishing tool.

"Samsonite? I was way off!"

"Knew it started with an "S" though..." :)

Just wanted to thank you guys for the great information. I passed it all onto him... he's going to hold onto it for now, but I'm first in line if he wants to sell it. Kinda hoping he lets me take it out sometime just to try it, feels like a really sweet rod.

Update... he decided to sell it to me and he threw in a Sage 509 Made in England reel that pairs up perfectly with it. Holy crap, it casts like a dream, even with 20 year old line in it.

Question... as a 6 weight, I'll mostly be using it on streams like Penn's, fishing dries and nymphs. Should I stick with a 6 weight line or go lighter/heavier? Thoughts?

Back