Product review - Creek Company Voyager

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

Being a big fat dude in search of a portable fishing craft I decided to check out the Creek Company Voyager. I called Cabela's one Saturday a few weeks ago and they said they had one left and it was priced to sell. I drove up Sunday and picked it up for $ 199.99.

Today was the first chance I had to get it on the water and I am impressed. Despite the fact that I weigh almost as much as the boat's rated capacity I still sat high enough in the water on the inflatable seat that my butt didn't get wet at all.

The boat moved easily via foot power using a pair of Force Fins and it's very easy to row with the included oars. The boat comes with a large stripping apron and a large tackle compartment that can be mounted on either the left or right side of the boat.

There is a good sized storage well behind the seat but it is designed to let water flow through it so it's not dry storage. Still, it will hold a medium sized Playmate cooler or a similar sized soft sided cooler so you can pack some food and drink for a day on the water. You could easily lash a dry bag back there too because there are several D-rings to use as lash points.

I have to figure out how to rig a depth finder up to it, but I plan on using it a lot here this Fall and since it sits so high I won't have to wait until wet wading season to get it on the water in the Spring, hip boots will work so cooler weather boating will be less hassle.

The only downside that I can see is that the boat is a bit heavy, so schlepping it and your fins and a cooler and a rod more than a few yards will take some effort. Still it is lighter than any 8 foot pontoon I've ever seen so I can take a little bit of bad with the good.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering an inflatable and if you have any questions let me know.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Wow, $199.99 is a great price!

Was it a bargain cave item?

I wish i could get the same deal. I called but no luck - they want $399 now which is the current sale price.

I think they would sell a ton more of this model if it was under $300

enjoy the boat

Dear chromefinder,

I'm not sure how I got that price to be honest?

I had received an email from Creek Company promoting their sale price of $ 299.00 when they offered 50% off earlier this summer. I was interested at that price but decided I wanted to actually see one before I bought it.

I called Cabela's and they said they had a new one that was clearanced priced at $ 199.99. I said, "Are you sure that is the price?" The clerk said, "Yes" so I gave them a credit card number over the phone and drove up the next day to get it.

It may have been because I used a Cabela's Visa and I am a Cabela's Club member that I got such a good price, and they may have made a mistake, but I wasn't about to ask questions, I just scooped it up once they verified the price.

It's going to take some creative work to mount a depthfinder on it but I'll have ice fishing season to work on that!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

thanks for the additional info...

Back