Prescription sunglasse

KeithS

KeithS

Here we go again. I'm searching and I can find plenty of frames but due to the magnification I need, I can't get one of the sport styles.
They say there will be too much distortion due to the curvature of the lenses.
On top of that, i wear a smaller size, so that limits me even more.
I'm looking at the aviator style without the low point below the eye.
Anyone found a style with a straighter lens?
If so, I'd appreciate a heads up on the brand and frame style #.

I had the same issues with prescription sunglasses (curvature and smaller size). After spending two months looking far and wide for a pair that wrapped (sport style) and worked with my prescription, I wound up going with the aviators. I couldn't find a better option. Just make sure to get amber/brown polarized lenses and they'll be good for fishing. I added a mirrored finish so they look pretty good too. I'm happy with them.

I have had two pair of Liberty lenses and they are super for fishing. Meant for motorcycling, but they fit great and block ambient light well. Brown lenses work great.

During my day job, I wear mono vision contacts. Can't fish with them though because no precise depth perception to tie on flies. The doc has me wearing two long distance contacts (I can spot fish well at a distance) and I wear high powered Maui Jim reading bifocals sunglasses. All works well for me.

I have RX and similar issue. I'll look later tonight and post the frame info. One thing to remember is to get the lightest weight lenses you can. My regular glasses are bottomless frames. My full frame sunglasses seem heavy to me. I'm going to try clip on parkerized lenses on my regular frames.

They make wrap around sun glasses that take an Rx insert so the curvature of the sunglasses make no difference. Popular with the bicycling crowd.

Poop,
Do you know what brand?

Keith, my Dad has prescription Oakleys using the same style polarized iridium lenses that I use in my non-prescription sunglasses.

There are many many brands of these. Most frame makers have this style. Simply google Rx insert sunglasses and spend the rest of the night shopping the best price.

There are many many brands of these. Most frame makers have this style. Simply google Rx insert sunglasses and spend the rest of the night shopping the best price.

I don't have a particularly strong prescription, but I didn't go for the Oakley or Maui Jim sunglasses either. At lens crafters, they can get you any frame and script you need. Or you can get ware over frames fro Oakley and the others and save some money.
I've recently heard, though I don't know it's true, that the yellow polarizing lenses can cause eye damage if worn to long, something to do with the way yellow filters the light.

I'm NOT spending the bucks that Lenscrafters wants. I've had quotes from some stores up to $600.00! I don't spend anywhere near that on my everyday glasses.

Thanks for all the help. I'll continue the search.

FWIW, many of the vendors have rules of what they'll do for a optical shop. And different rules for individual customers.

i.e. if your optician goes to Maui Jim and asks them to make prescription glasses in an 8-base curve, they may say no because the prescription falls outside of X and X guidelines. But how about a 4 or 6 base curve? (less wrap = non-sport)

But if you take your prescription, and call Maui Jim yourself, they are more likely to work with you.

That fits for many of the other makers as well. Costa, MJ, Kaenon, Oakley, etc. Also, it is likely your doctor works with a single, or a small handful of companies. That's just the way the business works (he has to pay big bucks to carry a brand). Getting the prescription and from your doctor and then doing the leg-work yourself opens up a higher number of possible labs and you'll find someone who will do it.

Good luck.

And yeah, prescription sunnies are EXPENSIVE if your insurance won't cover a good portion of it.

Generally, when a dealer has to custom make a product, if they have experienced problems with a certain aspect of the customization they stop doing it. I can understand that the distortion on the curved lenses have been problematic for others and I don't want to have to deal with that.
I trust the people with experience in a certain field, just as I expect people to trust me in my field. Aviators it will be.

Thanks to all who have contributed.

If not too late KeithS I have Rx sunglasses with a Nike "Debut" frame. Found these at my eye doctors office. It's a plastic frame with rubber like nose pad. I need distance correction but have a pretty standard prescription as I understand it. There is a slight wrap to these but not too much to prevent the Rx lenses. I like these for fishing. Lightweight, comfortable and sporty looking.

I know you don't want to spend big bucks but I also have Oakley Flak Jacket XLs with a polarized Rx lense. These are my golf glasses though and the lens I have in them wouldn't be my first choice for fishing plus for what I paid for them I'm not ready to risk dropping them in a trout stream only to lose them. I don't know that the old rule that you can't get an Rx in a wrap style still holds as true as it used to.

There is an Oakley store at K of P mall. They have an optician on staff. Again, not cheap but they may be able to work with you and your Rx.

I don't know that the old rule that you can't get an Rx in a wrap style still holds as true as it used to.

It doesn't. Well, it does, and depends on prescription, but it has advanced with computers determining lens shapes and more precise grinding, etc.

As I said, eye doctors often haven't changed their standards, i.e. they still hold to the old rules, especially the ones that grind their own lenses and have older equipment to do so. You can get further by taking a prescription from the eye doctor and then approaching a major manufacturer, like Costa or Maui Jim, yourself. And the little independents like that will be more likely to jump through hoops for you than a major comglomerate like Luxottica.

Thanks for all of the responses.
If an experienced shop advises against a type of equipment, I'd assume they had tried it and had unsatisfactory results. I won't go to a manufacturer if an experienced optometrist doesn't recommend a type of lens. As a tech rep in my trade, all I can do is make technical recommendations. If someone doesn't want to listen, it's their problem. Hopefully, since they called me for advice, they'll listen.

That said, i went to Costco vision yesterday. I've had good dealings for good glasses there in the past. They usually have a limited stock of frames but there was a pair that fit me perfectly. I've ordered Driveview lenses. They're a variation on Transitions and are also polarized. The optometrist and i went outside with the demo glasses and I compared them to the fit-overs I've been using and also to my clip-on polarized lenses. Came away with a 10 day wait and, with insurance. only $51.00 out of pocket.
On top of that, when I got home, my Orvis rod had arrived. They replaced my Clearwater instead of repairing it.
It was a good day.

Congrats.

As for the experienced shop, they are doctors, but also private small businesses. Some of them actually grind their own lenses. There are cost advantages, as well as a sense of keeping everything in house and managing your own quality control. The downside is, that as small businesses, they typically don't have the $$$ for R&D and to keep the most up to date equipment. They will not outsource. So for something difficultish, like a pair of wraps in a highish prescription, they'll just advise against it.

Another shop, which outsources it's lens making to a larger company with all kinds of R&D and fancy equipment, will be able to do more for you. Costco is such a shop.

So when I said to get a prescription from your doctor and then approach one of the makers, well, that's exactly what Costco is doing. But it works with your insurance and you're likely to get a decent pair of glasses. Win for you. Hope you enjoy them!

My only caveat would be to note that transitions polarized filters are only partially polarized. In low light situations, the transitions aren't polarized AT ALL, but as it gets brighter the degree of polarization increases. Ideal for driving. Not so sure about for fishing. But far better than not being polarized at all.

Back