Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Prescription polarized glasses question

I've always worn contacts and a pair of polarized sunglasses. However, my prescription has changed. With my new contacts, I can't see anything within 2 feet of my face. Have any of you tried prescription polarized glasses? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Matt

Posted on: 4/6 20:07

Re: Prescription polarized glasses question
From Dallastown, PA
I had a pair of perscription , Polarized bifocals. Def a good thing but expensive and my eyesight is OK except for close up so the lens was just like a reader. Anyway, I broke them and to replace was $200 so I scrapped and went back to Polarized and flipfocals.

Posted on: 4/6 20:09

From Hagerstown, MD
I have a pair of Oakley's with polarized progressive lenses. Expensive as heck ($600). Within 2 yrs the reflective coating was wearing off. I browbeat them bigtime and they replaced the lenses. I like them a lot though.

Posted on: 4/6 20:18

From NE OH
I've used them for years. Well worth the investment.

Posted on: 4/6 20:26

Check the bicycling catalogs for sunglasses with prescription inserts. not sure if they make those anymore, but they were much cheaper than polarized prescription lenses.

Posted on: 4/6 20:32

From Hershey
I have two pairs of Maui Jims. All Mauis are polarized. The newest pair have a reader built into them. You can have whatever reader strength you may need in 1/2 diopter increments right off the shelf. The reader is really handy and I don't have to wear my Mag-Eyes on my hat anymore unless I wear the pair without readers.

Posted on: 4/7 6:08

I have two pairs of Smith Optics Perscription bi-focals. Not cheap but worth every penny. I would highly recommend them.

Bill A

Posted on: 4/7 6:52

From Bethlehem, PA
love my ray ban prescriptions as far as visual clarity, but i freakin' hate having to switch glasses as conditions change.

Posted on: 4/7 7:38

From Pittsburgh
I have polarized bi-focals that I got from america's best, about 3 years ago now. Got them there because they gave me the best price - about $170. And they've held up well. No idea what name or brand they are though.
Last time I got my eyes checked - 1 year ago now - my prescription changed a bit. So I got a new pair of regular glasses that my insurance covered. But the old sunglasses still work OK for me, and I haven't replaced them

Posted on: 4/7 7:45

Webmaster
Prescription polarized lenses have worked great for me. My next set of lenses are likely come from Guideline. I think Alby found this company, but they look to offer lenses with a bi-focal option for the close up viewing challange too. They also offer lens tint options.

http://www.glpolarized.com/

Posted on: 4/7 8:35

From Other side of the tracks
I used prescription sunglasses for years, and had to take them off for up-close work. they were not bifocal.

I was using 4 different pairs of glasses, One regular single vision, A pair of prescription single vision sun glasses, A pair of drug store reading glasses for reading fine print or tying flies, and a pair of bifocal safety glasses. What's the point of having safety glasses if you have to take them off to do close work. These had been acquired over several years.

Recently my near vision has gotten worse (as my far vision has gotten better). Glasses were getting old.

Rather then buying 3 pairs of prescription again, I got a single pair of bifocals with a magnetic "clip-on." Haven't fished with them on, but now I can actually see up-close without taking them off.

Old safety glasses are close enough for now, but will eventually replace those. I get huge discount on safety glasses through work. Basic are free. I only have to pay for upgrades beyond basic frames and single vision.

Posted on: 4/7 9:55

From Lansdale
I'm considering prescription sunglasses also. Most likely bifocal , due to cost.

Posted on: 4/7 10:13

From Camp Hill, Pa
I had a pair that broke a few years ago and just got a new pair this year for this same reason. I ordered mine through zennis optical. They are definitely not Oakleys or Ray Bans but they are decent quality and I can see great out on the stream. You can't beat them for $40, if you don't want a large investment, and I won't cry if I drop/smash them on the water.

Posted on: 4/7 10:22

From LV
I wear progressive lenses, and use clip-ons for my polarized sunglasses. the problem is that The clip-ons aren't high quality. they get scratched and so forth. I'm thinking of getting script sunglasses, but I probably won't like the cost.

Posted on: 4/7 11:05

From Chester County
Last year when I got new prescription eyeglasses with progressive lenses, I ordered a frame which offered magnetic polarized sunglasses that attached over my prescription glasses. They work really well and are an alternative to buying a separate pair of prescription sunglasses or clip-ons.

Posted on: 4/7 11:15

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com