Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Prescription polarized glasses question

Wow - thanks for the ideas.
I can see great close up - within a foot of my head is excellent. I was at BJ's over the weekend - they quoted me $130 out the door for a pair of prescription polarized glasses. I have reading glasses, and was considering the flip down magnifiers, but haven't found any in the local shop to try out.
I'll look into Zennis Optical.

Thanks again!

Posted on: 4/7 12:03

From Enola, PA
You can order prescription lenses from Costa Del Mar and i just saw that they are selling polarized readers in Cabelas catalog. I love my Costas, but mine are non-Rx and came from Sierra Trading Post.

Skip the bicycle glasses they are not polarized. I talked with a few companies a couple years ago when i had my cataract our. None of the biking glasses are polarized because it messes up your view of the pavement.

Posted on: 4/7 14:56

uhh...nevermind

I have used prescription polarized glasses for years. they are great. A couple pairs ago I started buying my regular glasses at Eyebuydirect.com , and had good luck. They now carry polarized lenses, so a complete pair will only cost you $50.00+/-, depending on the frame. I'm going to order a pair shortly. I figured at $50, if I get a yr or two, I'm good.
-D

Posted on: 4/7 15:09

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Somewhat off-topic, but FWIW,

With any Rx polarized lenses, the Rx lenses and the brand are typically not related. i.e. just because you bought Oakley or Costa Del Mar, that only means that you got frames made by them, not lenses. Polarized Rx lenses are only made by 2 or 3 makers, and ordered by the brands to fit their frames.

That's somewhat true on non Rx too, but there are a few more makers.

Oakley, Ray Ban, Chanel, Dolce, Paul Smith, Ralph Lauren, Persol, Prada, Tiffany, Giorgio Armane, Versace, and others are all designed, made, and marketed by the same company. Luxottica.

Costa Del Mar and Native Eyewear are one and the same.

Kaenon is independent.

Maui Jim, I'm not sure. They are a very large company, one and the same as RLI corp (confusing who owns who), and they make a LOT of lenses, far more than are made under the Maui Jim brand. But I don't know what other brands these go into. Sunglasses aren't their core business, either, they do a lot of insurance and things like that.

Smith Optics, Tommy Hilfiger, Polaroid, Hugo, Boss, Gucci, Saks 5th Avenue, Liz Claiborne, Banana Republic, etc. is another large group that are all the same company, and again designed, manufactured, and marketed by the same people.

^^^That doesn't mean that all of the above are exactly the same. They are made to different specs. Just that the same company designed them, and manufactures them, and markets them. The people writing ads for Oakley and singing their praises are the very same people who are writing ads for and singing the praises of Ray Ban.

Posted on: 4/7 16:25

From Christiana, Delaware
I wear prescription polarized sunglasses, they're bi focals to. They work great. They're not real stylish, I just got them from the eye doctors office. The frames are stainless so they wont rust. Thank God for eye insurance thou because they would have cost an arm and a leg had I not had insurance. If you saw a pair at costco for $130 that sounds like a deal to me.

I also wear transition bifocals all the time. If it's cloudy or i'm in deep woods I just wear them, I give up being able to see into the water with them but when it's too dark I just can't see with the polarized set.

The polarized glasses I wear can see right into the water so well like I have special vision.

Posted on: 4/7 17:52

Pcray, thanks for the info. I could care less about brand- I just care if I can see. I was set on BJ's optical, but some of the online sources are half price. I do like trying frames on & getting my wife's feedback - yes, I'll be he one wearing them, but she'll have to look at & be seen in public with me:)

Posted on: 4/7 22:19

From Clinton County, Pa.
I have worn prescription lenses since I was twelve years old. When I purchase new glasses I always buy a pair that includes magnetic polarized clip sunglasses. I have used this type for fishing for many years and they work fine for me. I am nearsighted and wear bi-focals but I can see fine up close without lenses of any kind. I just look over the top of my glasses. I can't see spending all that money for some namebrand pair of sunglasses that do not work any better than the ones I wear everyday.

Posted on: 4/7 22:33

From Pittsburgh
It can be a real PIA on those days when the sun is in and out - constantly having to fumble around in my vest to dig out the other glasses and switch them.
I had read on line that they now have polarized transition glasses. And I asked about them at my last eye exam. But the workers there told me that they had never dealt with those yet. because the cost was quite prohibitive. So, I didn't pursue it any further.
Just wondering if anyone else has tried those yet.

As for those magnetic clip-ons - they sound like a pretty good idea. I just wonder if you guys might have trouble with them fogging up

Posted on: 4/8 8:07

From Chester County
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:
It can be a real PIA on those days when the sun is in and out - constantly having to fumble around in my vest to dig out the other glasses and switch them.
I had read on line that they now have polarized transition glasses. And I asked about them at my last eye exam. But the workers there told me that they had never dealt with those yet. because the cost was quite prohibitive. So, I didn't pursue it any further.
Just wondering if anyone else has tried those yet.

As for those magnetic clip-ons - they sound like a pretty good idea. I just wonder if you guys might have trouble with them fogging up

Nope, no fogging up. There are times when the sun is at an angle behind you where you may get a reflection that's a little distracting. Also, most sunglasses wrap around to the sides a bit, while the magnetic attachables allow more light and glare in through the side.

Posted on: 4/8 8:17

I use them and they are great. They are expensive but totally worth it for me. What sucks is that my prescription usually changes every couple of years so I have to get news ones regularly.

Posted on: 4/8 9:44

From York PA
Try just wearing one contact in your dominant eye. I do this but my long distance vision is not to bad. Also use clip on visor magnifier for tying on flys and tippet.

Posted on: 4/9 13:56

From Nazareth PA
I have a pair of the fit overs. I bought them hoping they would work but I don't use them anymore. They were just to bulky for me.
I eventually got the bi focal sun glasses and love them a lot. The only problem I have while wearing them is wading. I find that I must really bend my head down to look over the bi focal portion of the lens.

Posted on: 4/9 14:39

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From MidAtlantic
I have a set of dark Amber, high-contrast, polarized graduated lenses from Maui Jim and they have served me well for 9 years. I originally tried to get them mirrored, but the finish did not last and I went back to the originals without the mirror finish. They work great for streams and rivers and my buds tell me that I consistently spot fish that they can't see so I would guess they are better than typical fishing sunglasses. One drawback to prescription sunglasses is that they are more curved than most regular glasses so there is a little distortion, but not enough to affect knot tying and fishing.

Posted on: 4/9 15:58

I'm in the same boat as you - contacts with regular sunglasses - can't see to tie on flies or knots. got a pair of clip on flip up magnifiers at FFP for about 10 bucks - flip them down when tying knots - flip them up when fishing - no trouble at all. Price beats the heck out of prescription lenses.

Posted on: 4/13 17:06

From Schuylkill County
I'll give another recommendation for Zenni Optical. I've been buying glasses from them for years, bi-focal (progressive). I've yet had to pay more than $50 a pair (frames and lenses). I have a check up with my eye doc once a year and get all the prescription info, and if necessary, buy a good pair of glasses from him for work. Then I buy spare glasses, and also sunglasses for fishing from Zenni. Never had a problem with them. Options and choices are good.
John

Posted on: 4/14 9:18
if you look at it right...

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com