Pontoon Question

B

boychick

I'm thinking about getting a pontoon. I'm trying to decide between a frameless and framed model. I like the NFO boats. Any advice?

Framless are lighter. They also can be deflated and transported inside a small vehicle or luggage for flights. I see this type as very convenient and useful as transport from section to section in the river.

Framed are heavier and a PITA to transport unless you have a trailer or pick up. More rigid / stable and offer you to ability to stand up and fish (worth the price of admission IMHO). Can be useful depending on where you fish but not a necessity.

Where do you plan to fish with it?

If you want a toon just to float, stop, and fish, frameless is by far the choice. NFO is top a top quality product with shitty customer service, coming from people I know.

Biggie

It's not that the service is shiity....it's frustrating at times. They make a nice product but are disorganized often. Once you get Dave on the phone and point out the problem, he makes it right. I've bought one direct and have been part of 4 others buying direct. Some went smooth, some were nightmarish but the problem orders were given some extras for the inconvenience. It shouldn't get to that point but that's how they currently operate. I just bought a a driftboat but will keep my Scadden X5. Love it for solo fishing or rocky / shallow waters.

Sorry for being MIA for a while, the kiddo has kept me busy and thanks for the input guys.

Kray,

I plan to fish the Grand River (in Ohio), a reservoir near my house, the Yough, and the Allegheny. Maybe a trip to the Delaware too. Does that help?

I just got the Outlaw Renegade and don't have enough awesome things to say about it. I'm of a wiry build, too, and the weight really lends itself to my style. Best part, strangely enough, is that mine received a small puncture and even as it lost air I could still row it without any alarm. That really, really, really impressed me.

Worth every penny. Get the battery pump and the hand pump.

boychick,

Still up in the air about making suggestion. I know a forum member took a scadden framed model down the Yough when it was 5000+ cfs. White knuckle ride but a testament to the boats capability.

Do you have a pick up / small trailer (or access to one)?

Are your areas access points close to the waterway or a bit of a hike in?

Wil you use the boat to get from one spot to another and then wade fish?

Can you fish from a seated position or would you like the ability to anchor on rising fish and stand to cast at them?

Frameless boat is 25 - 35 pound (typically) and easily carried by one person. Framed models are 70 poundish and are tough to carry as a single person. It's not the weight but the awkward bulkiness with a framed model that makes it though to carry.

If you have interest in using a trolling motor, a framed model would be the better option.

No truck, no trailer, used to get you from wade spot to wade spot in the river or a longer hike to river access = frameless

More rgid in heavy water, stand up and fish option, trolling motor use for lake and access spots are closer to parking areas = framed model

I was going to say that the framed model is a good bit less expensive but they really aren't. You'd expect to spend $800 and up on their frameless models and a Skykomish framed model can be found at Cabelas for $1100. Remember......it's a fishing platform. Stable, steady and trying to keep up with a kayak will end up in you blacking out.

I have a framed model for sale for 1300. Check the for sale adds. It is a two person but can be run as a one person unit. I can send pics if you want. They are awesome to have and open up a ridiculous amount of water away from the pressured spots.

boychick,

Charlie's boat is a great option. It's a framed model that can be set up as a single angler rig or for 2 people. This is a great option as it allows you to take someone else down the river with you. It's a big boat so moving it by yourself can be a bit of a chore.

Thanks guys. I have an outback, no trailer, though I could have a tow hitch added (and I've been thinking about doing so). I would probably be moving the boat myself most of the time and plan to put in/take out at boat launches and bridges. I like the idea of anchoring on rising fish and standing up to cast to them. Never really thought about a motor, but its something to consider. This is a lot to digest. Thanks again for the feedback.

Back