Pliers/Hemostats/Forceps

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

What's your favorite kind of each?

Brand and model wise?
I currently use a pair of Okuma aluminum cavalla pliers. I mainly purchased them for spin fishing, but I find myself bringing them with me everytime I got out. They are a solid aluminum plier with side cutters. I like them for the money I paid for them(wanna say I purchased them 50-60% off), but I am considering the ross pescador pliers. They basically look like the more expensive and better quality version of my okuma's.

I used to use a pair of $2 ebay hemostats. They felt cheap as hell, but got the job done for removing flies too small for the cavalla pliers. This spring I bought a pair of matte black dr. slick hemostats. For the $9 they are totally worth it. They feel solid, grip so much better, and look better.

What is the difference between forceps and pliers?

mmmmmm.....I like the looks of those mitten clamps....hmmmm....

Dr. Slick 4" curved black clamp.

I like the Dr Slicks with the eye cleaner. I have two pairs, the first pair the little point that cleans the eye of the hook broke. No idea how. Those pair now reside on my tying bench.

IS THAT WHAT THAT NEEDLE IS FOR!?!?! Man, just had my mind blown....

Lol are you being serious or joking?

The cheapest pair I can find. Free if possible. I lose them too often.

csoult wrote:

Talk to a vet or an ER nurse. It's surprising what they throw away.

i have a 6" curved polished pair that i got from from waly world 15 years ago. no frills no whistles no bells, it just gets the hook from the fishes mouth or it gets the hose again. i was trying to replace them, but couldn't find a plain jane pair like them, so still they serve.

I use the Dr Slick Hemo-Cuts for all of my freshwater fishing and for the salt I use the 7.5" Ross Pescadors. I've had them since they came out and have held up very well. I sure hope 3M doesn't discontinue them... might get the 6" pliers for centerpinning.

Are the pescadors awesome? Now that they are owned by 3M, I think I can get those pliers for $80 or so. They look like the end all/be all of fishing pliers. Last pair you would need.

Sbecker, I was not being sarcastic or joking. I seriously had no idea why that needle was a part of the pliers. I even considered cutting or filing it down, because I saw myself punching a hole in my waders, hand, or finger while using them. Good stuff for painted jig heads etc.

I have the Pescadors in silver. My buddy has them in black. I use mine more and he uses his less, but doesn't take care of his gear very well. His finish is almost gone and he's had to replace a cutter from dropping it on the sidewalk. Other than a few dents in the aluminum, mine are in great condition. For $80 and Ross' warranty, I'd go for it. Get an extra set of cutters just in case.

I have some gear that could be considered top shelf. My hemostats are not a part of that gear. I have a pair that are matte finish steel and cost maybe $5. I really don't see the need to pay top dollar for a tool that's used to remove a hook from a trout's mouth. Just my opinion.

I have several pair that I bought years ago at a flea market for a $1 each. And they still work fine

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I have some gear that could be considered top shelf. My hemostats are not a part of that gear. I have a pair that are matte finish steel and cost maybe $5. I really don't see the need to pay top dollar for a tool that's used to remove a hook from a trout's mouth. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I cant see a pair of hemos over 5-10 dollars being that incredibly awesome that I would buy them. However, I will say that an expensive pair of pliers are worth the money to some people. For example, I do use conventional tackle from time to time, and I exclusively use braid. A pair of $5 pliers will not cut braid, whether its 6lb or 40lb. My cavalla pliers with tungsten cutters will cut through any bite guard, and all lb tests of braid. I can cut through hooks if I wanted to. Next, salt water will destroy most cheap pliers. Finally, dont you enjoy the feeling of a well made tool in your hand? In my earlier post, I mentioned I had a pair of $2 ebay hemostats. They felt cheap. Flexed under pressure/torquing, and the jaws failed to grip small flies properly. There is something to be said about using well made tools(not necessarily expensive), and unfortunately I think this is often overlooked.

I could not tell you the brand of mine. My mother's a nurse and brings them home from the hospital. I'm not sure whether you'd call them forceps or hemostats. They have a curved tip, which I like.

pcray1231 wrote:
I could not tell you the brand of mine. My mother's a nurse and brings them home from the hospital. I'm not sure whether you'd call them forceps or hemostats. They have a curved tip, which I like.

Both terms - hemostat & forceps are pretty much used interchangeably. Forceps are tools for grasping small objects and and are used in surgical procedures, while "hemostatic" is actually the locking feature of the tool. So they are actually hemostatic forceps. Not that it really matters.....:)

I have a couple pair of medical hemostats/forceps that are very thin and delicate. They are GREAT for picking up and holding small beads to slide over the hook when fly tying.

FrequentTyer wrote:
csoult wrote:

Talk to a vet or an ER nurse. It's surprising what they throw away.

Yep, the scissors out of suture removal kits are the bomb for tying.

Back