Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Pliers/Hemostats/Forceps

From Pittsburgh
I have several pair that I bought years ago at a flea market for a $1 each. And they still work fine

Posted on: 2012/7/27 0:05

Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I have some gear that could be considered top shelf. My hemostats are not a part of that gear. I have a pair that are matte finish steel and cost maybe $5. I really don't see the need to pay top dollar for a tool that's used to remove a hook from a trout's mouth. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I cant see a pair of hemos over 5-10 dollars being that incredibly awesome that I would buy them. However, I will say that an expensive pair of pliers are worth the money to some people. For example, I do use conventional tackle from time to time, and I exclusively use braid. A pair of $5 pliers will not cut braid, whether its 6lb or 40lb. My cavalla pliers with tungsten cutters will cut through any bite guard, and all lb tests of braid. I can cut through hooks if I wanted to. Next, salt water will destroy most cheap pliers. Finally, dont you enjoy the feeling of a well made tool in your hand? In my earlier post, I mentioned I had a pair of $2 ebay hemostats. They felt cheap. Flexed under pressure/torquing, and the jaws failed to grip small flies properly. There is something to be said about using well made tools(not necessarily expensive), and unfortunately I think this is often overlooked.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 13:14

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I could not tell you the brand of mine. My mother's a nurse and brings them home from the hospital. I'm not sure whether you'd call them forceps or hemostats. They have a curved tip, which I like.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 8:18

From Chester County
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I could not tell you the brand of mine. My mother's a nurse and brings them home from the hospital. I'm not sure whether you'd call them forceps or hemostats. They have a curved tip, which I like.

Both terms - hemostat & forceps are pretty much used interchangeably. Forceps are tools for grasping small objects and and are used in surgical procedures, while "hemostatic" is actually the locking feature of the tool. So they are actually hemostatic forceps. Not that it really matters.....

I have a couple pair of medical hemostats/forceps that are very thin and delicate. They are GREAT for picking up and holding small beads to slide over the hook when fly tying.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 8:29

From Abington
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
Quote:

csoult wrote:
The cheapest pair I can find. Free if possible. I lose them too often.

Talk to a vet or an ER nurse. It's surprising what they throw away.

Yep, the scissors out of suture removal kits are the bomb for tying.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 20:05

From OH
Whatever my friend, the dentist, is using.

Posted on: 2012/7/31 21:21

From "THE VILLE"
William and Josephs Hemo cuts are very nice. Im looking at the large pair for warmwater fishing.

Posted on: 2012/8/1 18:58
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I have some gear that could be considered top shelf. My hemostats are not a part of that gear. I have a pair that are matte finish steel and cost maybe $5. I really don't see the need to pay top dollar for a tool that's used to remove a hook from a trout's mouth. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I cant see a pair of hemos over 5-10 dollars being that incredibly awesome that I would buy them. However, I will say that an expensive pair of pliers are worth the money to some people. For example, I do use conventional tackle from time to time, and I exclusively use braid. A pair of $5 pliers will not cut braid, whether its 6lb or 40lb. My cavalla pliers with tungsten cutters will cut through any bite guard, and all lb tests of braid. I can cut through hooks if I wanted to. Next, salt water will destroy most cheap pliers. Finally, dont you enjoy the feeling of a well made tool in your hand? In my earlier post, I mentioned I had a pair of $2 ebay hemostats. They felt cheap. Flexed under pressure/torquing, and the jaws failed to grip small flies properly. There is something to be said about using well made tools(not necessarily expensive), and unfortunately I think this is often overlooked.
I enjoy the feel of a well made flyrod and reel in my hand. I really can't say the same about my hemostats. To me their use is so limited that I really can't justify buying a real expensive pair. I don't use them that much.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 21:45

From MONTCO
My brother uses a pair with the hook dislodger on it. Actually, you can simply by the dislodger as well. He seems to like both. You just push and most (debarbed) hooks just pop out. His are matte black.

I joked that I might spray my shiney forceps with black Rustoleum...then I seriously thought about doing just that...

Tip for using forceps at the bench, I use tiny rubber bands up near the finger loops when I have a task that requires tension on the jaws, or for when the locking notches aren't exactly where I need them.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:02

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Volksnurse wrote:

Especially when you have a nurse friend to keep you supplied!

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:05

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
Quote:

Volksnurse wrote:

Especially when you have a nurse friend to keep you supplied!

Oh, OK. I see how this works.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:09

From Ephrata, PA
Man I've had my hemos for like, 15 years. I don't even remember buying them, but somehow I ended up with a pair! Don't know the brand, don't care. They work when I need them, which is rarely.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:10

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Oh, OK. I see how this works.

Apparently not.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:16

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Man I've had my hemos for like, 15 years. I don't even remember buying them, but somehow I ended up with a pair! Don't know the brand, don't care. They work when I need them, which is rarely.

Because you don't catch fish? Amiright?

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:17

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Philadelphia
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Because you don't catch fish? Amiright?

Thanks just SO wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:18

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com