Please Post Your Headlamp of Choice

DanVerona

DanVerona

I’ve been looking to purchase a headlamp for fly fishing for some time now, but most of the reviews I see are consistent and no one choice stands out as being the “one” to buy. I see that some night fishing happens at the Spring Jam, so I definitely want to have one for that.

For those experienced with fly fishing at night, could you recommend the brand/model that you use?

I figure I can throw this on my Christmas list since my friends & family have no idea what to buy me (i.e. my family doesn’t pay too much attention to my hobbies, and this is something they could maybe buy outside of a fly shop).

Any advice/thoughts will be appreciated.

I've used several different lights over the years. Some were fine to use for tying a fly on, but most just didn't cut it for walking in/out and finding obscure paths at night.

Last year, I'd had enough, and decided to end this problem.

Really wanted to have a light that took AA batteries, but most of the ones I liked that took AA's were huge. AAA battery models were easy to find, and a lot smaller.

Other requirements I had were a red "night vision saving" mode, and a powerful main beam.

This one fit the bill. Primos Top Gun

It takes AA's, has built in flip down red and green filters that don't fall off, and holy crap is this thing bright! Low power is more powerful than most headlamps, and on high, you can spot deer with it - seriously! Low beam with a filter flipped down works just fine for tying on flies, etc. Waterproof too.

The only weakness is that the batteries "only" last about a dozen hours of continuous use on low, but I don't mind replacing the batteries a few times a season with how bright this thing is.

There's a lot of nice choices that use AAA batteries - Tikka makes some really nice ones....

I use a Micro hat clip with 4 LEDs for tying flies etc.
For walking in and out I have a Petzel Tikka I like that is very bright.

I have two different head lamps. One is Pelican "headsUP lite" that operates on AA batteries. It is very durable, and can land aircraft. I also have an LED head lamp that came in a ten dollar Christmas special pack of flashlights that also included 4 other pen lights and flash lights. It is powered by 3 AAA batteries and has two white LEDs and one red with a cheapy elastic band. I prefer the cheapy LED lamp. It provides plenty of light, you don't even know its on your head and the red light is invaluable for reading a map in the dark since map contour lines pop under a red light. I will also carry a small pocket light for when I may need additional light. Nowadays pocket flashlights are so bright and so small that it does not make any sense to have a lighthouse on your head. I Have not used the Pelican since I got the cheapy head lamp.

I really enjoy the red light mode mine has as well. Once my eyes have adjusted to the night i can flick this on if i need to tie a fly on. This is something I would look at when considering a headlamp. I will try to find out what model mine is.

I have the Princeton Tec quad. It is waterproof for 1 meter, has a lifetime warranty, and is made in the USA. Here it is on sale Head Lamp . What more could you want?

This is my second PT headlamp, and third PT light. I bought the first head lamp and a flash light 15 years ago, both are still going strong. I bought the quad because the new LED headlamps are SO much lighter and brighter than my old halogen light. I have been extremely happy with all of the PT lights I have and the quad is the best of them.

UNDERWATER KINETICS Vizion eLED Headlamp. Totally waterproof and has the red lense for preserving night vision.

I have the Black Diamond Spot. It is very bright on high output - up to 130 lumens- if that is something you are looking for. It also has a two red LED mode for maintaining night vision which I thought was essential. It has a dimmer on both modes so you can dial in exactly what you need, and it has two white proximity bulbs for low output. Its very compact and light with a single strap headband and runs on AAA.

I got it on sale at REI recently for $29.99, but I'm not sure if it is still available at that price.

Thanks all, appreciate the detailed reviews and I'll look for these that were mentioned...

As a disposable type person, I look for the best features at the lowest price. Often, this is just any run-of-the-mill headlamp, sold at most any BigBox retail establishment, such as Wally-world.

If you buy inexpensive and don't plan on snorkeling at night, you needn't pay too much more for waterproofness.

A main headlamp with high output is helpful for navigating out of the creek after a spinnerfall. A low output series of LED lights is great for tying flies on the line or searching your vest. Finally, the red-light mode is great for not disturbing your night vision or the trout on the stream.

Most inexpensive headlamps contain all three features. Buy one that has them all. Keep a plastic bag with an extra set of batteries in your vest and you are good to go.

Mine doubles as a lamp for work around the house in low-light areas.

I have a 2 pronged approach.

As my main light, I carry a flashlight. I think the brand is LED Lenser. But it takes AAA's, and is small enough to pocket (somewhat uncomfortably, but fine in a pack). It's ridiculously bright. Like, you could spot deer with the dang thing. It's not a cheap light. It's duty isn't limited to fishing, it's my hunting, camping, around the house flashlight as well. When I expect to fish after dark, I carry it for the walk out.

But a handheld flashlight isn't the right tool for tying on flies. Since I don't need it for walking, it allows me to go super light for a hat light, and not worry about brightness so much.

I'm not sure if they still sell my hat light. I got it at FFP and it very closely resembles the Orvis Firefly, and that's probably it's successor. It's the same thing without the magnifyer. Takes a watch battery. Bright enough to tie on flies. Battery usually lasts me about 2 years. Clips on a hat, stays out of my field of vision, and light enough to not make my semi-floppy hat brim droop from the weight. That's the problem I always had with the multi-LED clip-on thingies that look like the roof lights on a bad-@$$ pickup. And a regular headlamp keeps you from wearing a hat at all.

If, like me, you don't want the magnifier you might just be able to buy that and take it off.

Headlamps are like sunglasses. I tend to lose them all the time so I usually go with the $10 Energizer one from Wally World.

Go with a petzel and never buy one again

I usually turn my hat around or just take it off. I suppose that really only applies to a baseball style hat, but thats all I ever wear.

I wear a full brimmed hat, but could use a baseball hat on nights I expect to be out past dark. Still, I didn't think a head based one would work, even with the cap turned around?

And if you take it off, what do you do with it? Or just not wear one to begin with?

I second the petzel they are a little pricey but worth it.

I've been using a Princeton Tec Eos for a few years now, very happy with it.

Works fine with whatever's on my head, ball cap, full brim, bike helmet...do wish it had a red filter though.

A headlamp will definitely work with a backwards cap. It will work with the brim forward as well, but might be too much of a shadow situation to tie a fly on close to your body. It is fine for walking around though IMO. Check out the picture on the most recent PAFF blog post about the Jam.

I am almost always wearing a small hydration backpack when I am fishing so I just stuff the hat in there if I take it off.

I wear my petzel with my hat forward without issue. It has the retractable spring loaded string strap. I love it.

Back