Pacific Bay IM6 fly rod blanks

T

Tack-L-Tyer

Anyone wrap one of PacBays Traditionalist IM6 matte finish 2 piece blanks?? Selection of tapers seems very good for lengths and light line choices. Could be reincarnation of J.K.Fisher to some degree?? Price is really attractive. Any input appreciated.

Tack-L-Tyer wrote:
Could be reincarnation of J.K.Fisher to some degree??

I know of no connection between these blanks and anything made by Fisher. Assuming any similarity is wishful thinking.

Price is really attractive. Any input appreciated.

They are indeed good blanks for the price, but keep in mind, they will be comparatively heavy to all but lower end blanks and completed rods. The so called IM6 material is really starting to show it's age IMO as lower end blanks are starting to use higher modulus materials more and more and the weight savings is noticeable. If you are looking into shorter rods or rods for lighter line weights, you will likely be pleased with the Tradition blanks. However, IMO, you are better off spending a little more, or at the very least shopping around more carefully, if you are in the market for a heavy line weight blank.

I've built a few rods on Pacific Bay blanks and have generally been happy with them. A Tradition 7' 6" 4wt is currently amongst my most fished rods. It's pretty good and I snagged the blank for almost nothing. No complaints.

Thank you for the reply PennKev. I am looking for an entry level/utilitarian build with some light line weight options and these will probably fit that bill nicely. Can address the weight issue with choice of guides, reel seats and grip style. (Minimalist overall). Good Luck.

PennKev wrote:
... but keep in mind, they will be comparatively heavy to all but lower end blanks and completed rods. The so called IM6 material is really starting to show it's age IMO as lower end blanks are starting to use higher modulus materials more and more and the weight savings is noticeable.

You guy crack me up sometimes. Thanks for the laugh.

I've built several "Rainshadow RX6 7'6" 3 wt" rods for people and they provide a nice moderate action. For medium sized creeks, they are super when over-lined with a 4FWF line, feel somewhat like a glass rod.

http://store.hookhack.com/BB-76-3-wt-kit/productinfo/BB763BK/

You can also just buy the blank and whatever components you'd like.

springer1 wrote:
I've built several "Rainshadow RX6 7'6" 3 wt" rods for people and they provide a nice moderate action. For medium sized creeks, they are super when over-lined with a 4FWF line, feel somewhat like a glass rod.

http://store.hookhack.com/BB-76-3-wt-kit/productinfo/BB763BK/

You can also just buy the blank and whatever components you'd like.

There are a lot of RX7's on close-out these days. Also a very nice blank and more comparable to the Pac Bay Traditions.

shortrod2 wrote:
You guy crack me up sometimes. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanks for your comments.

I was able to pickup a pile of Pac bay kits at cabelas a few years ago on clearance for crazy prices i think like 20 bucks for the kit. I have a few 5wt 9 ft that are awesome. And I did a couple spinning and casting kits and they were all really nice setups fish really well. Hope yours turns out as nice as mine!

Back