PA Rod company

Bruno

Bruno

The guys from http://www.shadowflyfishing.com have a great sale going on right now Two tips are you in Albatross?

Just in time for the Delaware trip. Must be an omen...

The Shadow Stalker 9' 5wt. seems like a cool looking rod. Sort of looks like a Scott Radian by looks with a more subdued insert. Same style reel seat and grip shape. I am tempted to pick one up. Where in PA are they located? Has anyone on here used the Stalker? How medium is their version of medium action? Thanks!

I've got their 7 wt Warrior sitting here, but haven't even gotten it fully out of the box yet. Should have it on the water next week, though. Will post some thoughts then.

For anyone that may have the warrior 7wt- any thoughts on it as a streamer rod?

I received two rods in the mail yesterday from Shadow Rods. I finally got a chance to lawn cast both rods last evening while I was cooking some ribs. I also got a new cooker this weekend ? Both rods were performed well above my expectations.

The first thing I am impressed about is the company. I made an initial inquiry a couple of weeks ago and wanted to test cast a rod before I purchased it. They told me that they would be happy to send me both models and I could keep the one I liked and return the other. Well life got in the way and I kind of let it slide till the other day when they sent me an email about the rods being on sale. I decided that I would pull the trigger if I could have the rod by this coming Wednesday. They replied that they would have it to me by Saturday. Once purchased, I inquired if they would be nice enough to send me a demo for everyone at the Catskill Jam to check out and they were happy to indulge my request.

The Warrior and Stalker 5wts are both very nice rods. I have to say that I am pretty impressed with the attention to detail on both rods. Little things count and everything seems well thought out. Both rods come in very nice rods tubes with adjustable shoulder straps and very nice rods socks. Also, I really like the alignment dots on the both rods. I was just telling someone last weekend that I wished all of my rods had them and I get two in the mail a few days later that have them.

I look forward to getting them out on the water this weekend.

From their website:

Why?
Because we have found that the established market has created an expansive gap between the production costs of high end products and the cost passed onto the customer.

What does this mean?
Shadow charges less to the customer while still paying the high production cost that comes with producing a top of the line product

Does anyone know where the blanks are rolled?
Nice (and refreshing) business concept. And beautiful rods.
Is the whole process PA or USA manufactured?

Bruno, Thanks for the kind words!

Gutcutter,

We design our products down to the core here in PA, the designs are then sent overseas and mass produced. These are all unique designs we come up with, they are not stock products with our logo printed on them. Other than that the entire business process is run out of PA.

As stated in your post, we do not compromise in quality. We pay a high end price and sell for what we think is a reasonable price for everyone. It is very important to us that we offer top of the line products simply because we are fishing almost everyday.

We have a reel prototype we are testing now also. It will be the lightest fly reel on the market, 100 percent waterproof and will also be budget friendly. It will be a good amount of time before it is on the market but it is beautiful.

Shadow is a fly company not just a rod company. We will continue to offer these unique products in all fly fishing categories. We have some very cool ideas we can not wait for everyone to see.

Make sure all attending the jam ask to Bruno to fish the rod.

Thanks guys.

The rods look great and I am interested but if you don't mind me asking, where are the rods mass produced? China? Korea? Thanks. Also, how "medium" action is the Stalker? Do you know of a rod that would have a similar flex to it? Thanks.

Big Bass,

We have found a manufacturer we are very proud of and want to keep on the quiet. We know most companies are on browsing these forums so I can only reveal as little information as possible about the production process. I will double check for you.

The tip is a bit faster than old school medium action rods but the rod bends as much as you want it to in the mid and butt. Compared to the Warrior it is far more of a medium action fly rod. I love casting it, it has a super crisp feel and bends as far as you want it to. Still has a good amount of power but is definitely not a fast action rod.

The rods came in at the end of trout season and I was lucky enough to dry fly fish a few days with it. What a treat!

Shadow,

No problem with keeping your company secrets your own...I am interested in the Stalker rod but own a Sage ZXL which has been serving me awesome lately. It is medium like that or a bit quicker? Also, where does the Warrior fit in? Lastly, what quality cork is on the rods. Good cork seems to be getting harder and harder to come by and with the price point, I just wanted to ask. Which would be a better rod for dries, nymphs, smaller dry-droppers, and streamers to size 6? Thanks again for answering my questions...I wish I could demo one but don't know of a dealer by me for these rods? Any in NEPA yet?

Bass,

I thought you were driving 35 minutes to meet us in Hancock. ?.?. Bruno may not be a retailer but he will have one of each model to demo. Jump on 191 and get your butt to the Capra. I'll be there with Josh tomorrow morning. PhilC & Martin0206 are comind Wednesday, Stimey on Thursday and the yinzers should be rolling in shortly after that.

Bigbass,

As Krayfish stated there will be a demo of the rod at the jam. Go check it out there.

The cork on the rod is very unique. It is unlike any corks on any fly rod i have come across. They are slender with no large bumps or divets across the cork. It feels amazing in the hand. This is a feature we focused on and a lot of anglers are praising.

Both rods would be great for those setups it is all preference. I think anyone would be pleased with either rod, they are both amazing.

The fast action rod seems to cast farther for me but the medium has such a different feel than the fast. They are both amazing rods, I guess its something you would have to decide for yourself.

I honestly feel you can not go wrong with either rod. Feedback has been 100% positive on both rods so far. (Knock on wood)

Any plans to offer the Stalker in a different weight and/or length?
I am very tempted, but I already have a fast 9'5wt and a medium 9'5wt.
But I don't have one with a naked reel seat (very cool!) and two tips.
Hmm...

gut cutter,

I can not wait till we can offer every wt and size and that is something we are focused on doing. It will be some time before that happens though.

Most are saying our 5wts feel like 3wts because they are so light in hand.

I let a guy fish the warrior prototype 7wt last year in Erie, he could not believe it was a 7wt.

Back