Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Orvis to Acquire Ross/Scientific Anglers

From Central Maryland
Do you know when that came out? Most of the fly shops around me are either orvis shops or orvis sponsored fly shops, and I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:27

From Lehigh Valley
The earliest review on that page is from January 2012.

It's also in the January 2012 Orvis catalog. No idea if it was available earlier than that.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 7:34

From Chester County
Quote:

Pontus wrote:
Do you know when that came out? Most of the fly shops around me are either orvis shops or orvis sponsored fly shops, and I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Orvis introduced their 3D lines about a year ago, I believe. I recall test casting the lines at an April meeting last in Vermont and the lines were introduced shortly thereafter.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 7:44

From Collegeville, PA

Posted on: 2013/5/4 11:48

From Central Maryland
Thanks for the info on those 3D lines. Still, looking at this

http://www.scientificanglers.com/about/technologies

Scientific Anglers Patents

It'll be interesting to see if we see any changes in the orvis line up. Although, I've kinda gotten sucked into this to avoid studying for my engineering finals, and I just found out that 3M, not SA, owns the main patent for making Sharkskin. I'm not gonna pretend to know a lot about this, but it's still fun to read and speculate about.

By the way, HA, you might not remember but you gave me a ride from the Little Lehigh to wherever we ate lunch a couple years back during a newbie jam. I was only 16 or 17 at the time. I'll have to make another trip up there sometime soon to show you guys how far I've come. I might have given up before I "got it" if it wasn't for that newbie jam.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 13:04

From Collegeville, PA
Scientific Anglers was never a company. They were a brand owned by 3M, just like Scotch Brand scotch tape. That's why the patents are owned by 3M. I would be shocked if the sale of the Scientific Anglers didn't include the patents for the technologies used on Scientific Anglers fly lines.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 15:01

From Lehigh Valley
Pontus - Good to see you stuck with it.

Our newbies are destined to become good fishermen because they're smart enough to seek out information and knowledge.

Looks like you've still got that drive to learn. It'd be great to have you come to a newbie event and pass on your experience. We've had several Newbie "Alumni" become instructors at newbie events, and they've done a great job.

Gimme a shout if you can ever make it up this way and I'll set something up. "Newbie Class Reunion".......hmmmmm.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 17:07

From Lambertville
Scientific Anglers and Ross may not be subsidiaries of 3M but if they are manufacturing, then they are independent business units with a workforce and tangible assets. It's strange that they are not subsidiaries.

I'm sure trademarks will be transferred. If relevant active patents are not being transferred or assigned to Orvis, then surely there will be a license agreement for Orvis to use them.

I'd be surprised if Orvis does not incorporate the two businesses as wholly owned subs.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 17:15

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com