Orvis hydros wf10i striper line

M

moon1284

I will be working on the Jersey shore this fall and winter so I purchased a 10 wt rig to fish with there (the largest I had before was an 8wt). Today I lawn cast that setup and it wasn't pretty. I didn't have a leader or fly at the end, so I'm hoping that was my problem. The clear tip of the intermediate line (orvis hydros striper wf10i) kept collapsing and was hard for me to get straigt while casting. It would hit the ground sometimes before the blue part of the line and collapse. Will adding a leader and fly correct this? The best way to describe it is that the clear tip felt way too heavy for the normal fly line to carry it. I am a halfway decent caster (at least up to 8wt lol).

Btw, this line had loops on both ends and I went with afishinados suggestion and used a bimini loop and didn't cut the fly line loop off.

Thanks for the help.

You should retry with a leader and fly (or yarn) as that may be the problem.
Usually, without a leader, the tip dives down at the end of the cast.
If the tip was diving down on your back cast, it might be throwing your forward cast out of plane. Hauling would intensify the fault.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought.

Or maybe since you are trying to go for more distance the faults in your casting are starting to show there true colors :pint:

moon1284 wrote:
I will be working on the Jersey shore this fall and winter so I purchased a 10 wt rig to fish with there (the largest I had before was an 8wt). Today I lawn cast that setup and it wasn't pretty. I didn't have a leader or fly at the end, so I'm hoping that was my problem. The clear tip of the intermediate line (orvis hydros striper wf10i) kept collapsing and was hard for me to get straigt while casting. It would hit the ground sometimes before the blue part of the line and collapse. Will adding a leader and fly correct this? The best way to describe it is that the clear tip felt way too heavy for the normal fly line to carry it. I am a halfway decent caster (at least up to 8wt lol).

Btw, this line had loops on both ends and I went with afishinados suggestion and used a bimini loop and didn't cut the fly line loop off.

Thanks for the help.

Close your eyes and pretend your casting your 8wt....:lol:

First of all, never cast a line without a leader and some yarn or material on the end.

^Fred is a smart azz...but is right. Shorten up and keep good form.

With a leader and yarn shorten up your casts until you are achieving a good loop and decent cast.

Assuming you are double hauling, put that on the back burner for now.

Add a little distance to your cast in small increments but keeping good form and achieving a good loop.

At some point when increasing the amount of line in the air you will find it difficult to maintain good casting form and a good loop. Back off a little bit at that point and mark your line with a small piece of masking tape between your reel and the stripping guide. That is your sweet spot.

Extend your line out on your casts to your sweet spot and work on shooting line from that point.

Now you can incorporate hauls to your cast to increase distance. Try a haul just in your back cast > cast forward without a haul and shoot. Try a haul just in you forward cast and shoot. Now double haul and shoot. Remember...good form / good loop! If the hauling messes up your cast go back to casting without the hauls.

At some point, as you practice, you should find your sweet spot (the amount of line you can aerialize) will increase. Move your tape back to remark your sweet spot.

With practice you should be zinging your cast over the bars and into the mouth of a big nasty striper this fall....Good luck! Post a report.

HTH

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Back