Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Orvis encounter packages.

From Somerset P.A.
Ive been looking into getting a new 5 wt rod. Ive mainly used a 7 wt that I used to only bass fish with, but I started to use it on small streams and liked it over my cheap old 5 wt. Now that Im more experienced, and Ive used some friends lighter gear Im looking to buying a 4/5 wt rod. Orvis has these encounter packages with rod rod, reel, line basically ready to fish. Anyone bought one of these packages? If so what do you think?

Posted on: 2/6 6:22

Re: Orvis encounter packages.

From Lambertville
It seems like no one has any experience with the Encounter setup. Probably because it's new. Orvis makes/sells quality stuff so I don't see how you could go wrong with an outfit that cost $159.

Posted on: 2/6 17:24

From North East PA
No experience with the Encounter. If budget is an issue, check out LL Bean's Quest series.

Posted on: 2/8 10:33

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Lilly, PA
My cousin just got an Encounter package for Christmas. Seems like a good combo package but he has only used it in his yard practicing.

Posted on: 2/11 19:32

From North East
I have an encounter II reel and it is solid. It's slightly heavier than premium reels, but the drag is comparable to some really high-end reels. Bottom line is I have no problem recommending the encounter reel. It is unbeatable for $50. Plus spare spools are only $25. This being said, I don't have any exposure to the encounter rods.. RCFetter got it right... Orvis makes/sells quality gear (though not always made in US) and their customer service is second to none.

Posted on: 2/20 11:56

From SEPA
If Afishinado doesn't publically weigh in, try sending him a PM about it. He should have some insight.

Posted on: 2/20 13:52

From Pittsburgh, PA
For the rod, I'd go ahead and spring for the Clearwater rod. It's not much more and you get an awesome warranty (25 years).

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=2730

The warranty alone is enough to convince me.

Posted on: 2/26 18:39

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

echuck66 wrote:
For the rod, I'd go ahead and spring for the Clearwater rod. It's not much more and you get an awesome warranty (25 years).

In the grand scheme of things not it isn't much more but the Encounter outfit is $159 where the Clearwater rod alone is $200. Throw in a line and reel and your are over $300 with the Clearwater before you even have a leader or fly tied on.

That $150 dollar difference could go a long way towards waders, flies, etc. for a beginning angler or anyone on a tight budget.

Kev

Posted on: 2/27 6:49

From Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
That $150 dollar difference could go a long way towards waders, flies, etc. for a beginning angler or anyone on a tight budget.

You're right, but I'm just speaking from my personal string of bad luck I've had in the past with rods... car windows, doors, clumsy footing, etc.

All I'm saying is that if you have the money and you're prone to breaking rods like I have been, the 25 year warranty is a pretty nice thing to have. Of course, now that I have a rod with a nice warranty like that, I'll probably never break another rod. LOL

Posted on: 2/27 19:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com