Orvis Light Salmon Rod

JoeE

JoeE

On Clark's Bamboo Rod Forum there is an Orvis Light Salmon Rod a 9' 2/2 8 wt for 375.00. I was think of buying it to hold for a year and make a 100.00 because it looks in good shape. If I was looking for one (build my own) this would be a nice steelhead rod.

Joe E

Why do you think you'll make a 100.00 ? some orvis rods depreciate even bamboo.

There is always the wishful thinking on any used rod and other factors. Most of the recent Orvis bamboo rods I seen sold were between 425.00 and 1025.00. The short rods with 2 tips (depending on the model) are usually at the higher end and longer rods on the lower end and then there is the 2 pieces vs. the 3 piece rod. However, I usually don’t see 9’ 2/2 original tube and bag without at least one tips being short, which you usually see and need to scarf the tip (that is 100.00). The economy is the other factor (okay may 2/3 years) and if I did buy it I probably wouldn’t unload and keep it.

Joe E

9 foot bamboo rods are just not that desirable for the majority of people (7 1/2' would probably be the most popular length and 8 1/2' would be the limit in desirability) add to that the fact that it is not a trout rod and you are unlikely to turn a profit.

On the other hand if you are a nostalgic and think it would be fun to catch a steelhead on a bamboo rod, go for it. If it does not float your boat, you should be able to get most or all of your money back when you sell it and the Orvis bamboo rods are a real bargain and because they are impregnated, they are relatively trouble free, unlike some other bamboo rods.

Shock

Shock,
Correct a 9’ 2/2 8wt Orvis bamboo is a niche rod and to find one with original tips IMO will last a life time. I would take a 9’ 2/2 8wt Orvis to Erie or Alaska and might not even take a spare.

Joe E

Back