Orvis Hydros combo...Quick question...

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

I have the opportunity through a family member to acquire a TU raffle won brand new never taken out of case Orvis Hydros 865-4 Mid-Flex rod combined with a Battenkill II reel and two Cordura tubes. One is the standard rod case and the other fits the rod segments and reel all in foam compartments. What would one expect to pay for this and if for some reason, I should not like it, what resale price would be fair? Thanks!

Here is a link to it. What did this retail for and is the rod a nice rod in Orvis' series?

http://answers.orvis.com/answers/7532/product/1A9P53/questions.htm

Good rod? Yes. I've seen them being sold for $250-$275. I've seen the reels go for $85-$125. I think you'd enjoy that set up

The hydros was a more economical helios. It is litterally the same blank with less expensive components. You can expect around $200 for the rod.

The reel is a different story it all depends if it is a BLA (large arbor) or a bbs (standard). Large arbor may fetch up to $100 and bbs will be in the range of $50-75.

Congratulations on a wonderful all around PA outfit!

The reel is a Battenkill II Mid-Arbor (the color is not silver, not gold, kind of a cross in-between.) The reel is gorgeous but looks exactly like my silver colored Orvis Access Mid Arbor II. I may part with the Battenkill reel if anyone is interested.

On the rod side, honestly, the components are beautiful. Also, the cork is the nicest cork I have seen other than on an H2 or Winston B3X.

My Access Mid-Arbor is rated for 3-5 wt. lines so I should be good lining it with Rio Gold and backing...correct?

I am really happy with it overall...plus the two cases that came with it are awesome.

I already have two 9ft. 5wts. (Sage ZXL and Winston Passport) so this 865-4 Mid-Flex actually seems like a nice addition and takes it back a little to a time when this was the standard rod for PA. I look forward to catching some nice fish on it, and knowing that the blank is similar/same to the Helios is even better.

Your new streamer rod is in the swap forum.

you can use any reel for any line.

you are correct that the access II is designed to carry 5wt line. rio grand falls within the industry standards for 5wt weight line. that is to say that has around a 140gr head (actually 146gr) that is under 50ft long. you can expect to carry 100yds of 20lb dacron on-board your reel with that particular line.

the rod blank IS a helios blank. not similar or close... it is identical. thus you can see why it was quickly discontinued. that said, enjoy your rod. it is a hell of a caster and personally, just between you and me, it was the only other rod I was considering for the PA casting competition this year. the shorter length (for me) lends itself to a "punchier" feel than the 9'. I think you will feel what I mean when you start using it.

Have fun, and enjoy the rod!

Oh man...that's awesome! I hope the 865-4 mid-flex serves me well...even though I always use a 905-4. I have some spare gpx I may put on the access for this rod.

Is this a good all around rod based on actual model?

Wait...also, when was this rod produced...was it only for a year or so?

It wasn't produced very long, maybe 2 yrs or so. Good based on length, line weight and mid flex.

Kray,

Is this a big D worthy rod? Or too short? Thanks!

Any rod will work on most streams. Upper east, upper west, low flows...it's more than fine. You cast well enough to use it. If the rivers are 2k+ or the wind kicks up, you might wish you had a longer weapon or more a tip flex model. Honestly, when it's ugly up there, a 6 wt can barely be enough at times.

Once they finish the HE project, it won't be enough rod. That's because it will be a smallmouth fishery though.

I bet that rod is great for streamers and big dries.

it is great all around rod.

like I said, I was really considering using this one for the carlisle casting comp just because I felt like the length and weight complimented each other really well.

the rod was only produced for a few years and then Orvis stopped and only offered the helios. hell of a deal for that rod blank.

Kray, knows the D better than anybody on here so I would definitely lean on his experience. I do believe the rod will serve you well up there.

Andy, what is the HE? I don't believe I am familiar with this project. the dude from FUDR was down at our local TU meeting last week but maybe I missed his speel on this. thanks

TimRobinsin wrote:
the rod blank IS a helios blank. not similar or close... it is identical.

That's what Orvis said, but someone one this forum pointed out it wasn't, and it couldn't be.

The discussion went back and forth until someone posted the weights of identical Helios and Hydros rod blanks without the additional hardware attached: The Hydros was heavier.

I have nothing to say about the rest of your feelings about Hydros rods, I have no experience. Most people were very happy with theirs, but it wasn't a Helios blank.

Derek,

I think saying that I know more about the D than anyone on here would be incorrect. There are some VERY seasoned guys with lots more knowledge on this board. I appreciate the vote of confidence though. LOL.

The HE project = hydroelectric project they will be starting on the WB to produce power for several dozen homes at the cost of $79+ mil. Money well spent and a real 'feel good' project for the green crowd. Basically, guys making the decisions invest in HE installation business, steer project in that direction, make huge money and we get to do the walk of shame with a souvenir empty tube of astroglide. See,everyone's happy?

Oh yeah, that hydros is a nice rod. LMAO

Would this rod work better with something like gpx or something more true to line weight and not .5 up?

Std line should be fine for a mid flex. With that said you might prefer how a gpx loads the rod. Youre going to have to try it to answer your own question. Sorry.

Back