Lonewolve wrote:
the opportunity to leave monocracy

I can leave the Monocacy?

Yow.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 10:57

Re: Orvis Access Rods

From Lehigh Valley
Gfen,
Lol , cant wait to meet you down the Lil Lehigh sometime.you make me laugh. Hey whats the deal with medalist reels?i've decided to get rid of all but four trout reels with drags in favor of click & pawl reels .I miss the click
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2011/4/7 11:33

Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
I guess no one in vermont can wrap a rod!

No one in Vermont can design a rod, either.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 20:39

From Chester County
The Orvis Helios and Hydros rod line are made 100% in the US at the Orvis rod shop in Manchester, VT. As posted above, with the Access line of rods, the blanks are made at the rod shop and finished overseas to bring down the labor costs and the price point.

Everyone wants to buy a rod cheap, but you can't have it both ways. Anything product made in the US where the manufacturing process is labor intensive costs more than a rod made overseas. Fly rod blanks and rod wrapping is pretty much all a "hand made" process. Labor cost in the US (with benefits) $15-$20 /hour vs $.50 - $1.50/hour overseas for an example. The lower priced lines in some other American rod companies are also made entirely or partly overseas.

Can't have your apple pie and eat it too.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 7:17

From salt point ny
Quick story about Orvis service. I went out to fish a local tailwater the other day and I was in a rush so I just loaded my strung rod into the truck and took off. Well some jerk cut me off I swerverd and my ladder crashed into the rod and snapped it about 6 inches up from the handle.
( I know, dick head move on my part for traveling without breaking the rod down.)

Anyway I went to Orvis and their response was they didn't have the model in stock ( 8'6" Hydros in 4 wt.) but can order it for me. It would take a week and cost 30 bucks for the shipping. Oh well I figured WTF! The manager walked into the back room, came out with a brand new Hydros 5 wt and says" Here, use this until your new one arrives, and if you like the 5 wt over what you had give me a call and you can keep this one"
Better service than that I can't ask for. Orvis is top rate in my book.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 8:14

From lancaster
I just bought the 8wt access switch rod from my local shop, and bought a guru 4.0 online the guru did not fit the reel seat of the access , the foot of the lamson was to thick for the reel seat. Of corse the Orvis reels fit fine, as well as the Sage and Ross reels. I ended up buying the Hydrose V a nice reel for about the same price, but according to Feathercrafts website the Guru is made in the US. The reel seat on the access is a tad flimsy but the rod cast like a dream I figured with the warrenty and the flyshop being right down the street I should be coverd..

Dan

Posted on: 2011/4/8 12:24

Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
I guess no one in vermont can wrap a rod!

Probably not for 5 cents an hour!
They wouldn't want to make the blanks there because the Asian fabrication company very possibly would roll a bunch extra and sell them to another company to market themselves. But they can account for blanks shipped overseas.
A friend of a friend went to China to check on a safety glasses product line they had made there. Seeing a huge stack of boxes of his product, he asked the manufacturer "What about those?" and the reply was, "Those aren't yours". Hmmm.... You want to compete against yourself? Have your crap slapped together and pirated in the People's Republic.

Syl

Posted on: 2011/4/10 21:24

From St.Clair
Has anyone ever casted the 10' 5 wt access? I'm curious if it is as fast as the 10' helios.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 8:35

From Clinton County, Pa.
Diamondback flyrods were 100% made in the USA back when they were in Vermont. This was before being bought out by Cortland. I have several and the wraps are GREAT. Oh you guys must have been referring to Orvis!

Posted on: 2011/4/11 11:24

From Clinton County, Pa.
Oh yea I forgot to add that ALL Sage and Scott flyrods are made in the USA. The same can't be said about any other American flyrod company.G. Loomis might be the other exception.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 11:30

From lancaster
Dose Sage make a switch rod for 400$,

Posted on: 2011/4/11 22:48

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com