Orvis "Big Bug" vs other recommendations?

Wildfish

Wildfish

I need to spool up a new 8 wt that will work as an all purpose warm water/salt rod, and maybe steel next season. Orvis big bug line is on sale, which is supposed to turn over big flies well plus not get limp in the heat--sounds ideal for warm water and summer salt fishing. But before I pull the trigger, are there any downsides? What about other recommendations for a line that will do smallmouth/LM plus handle the salt?
Thanks
Wild

I'd shell out a buck fifty and get a shooting head system.
this will allow you to cover both fresh and salt.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=31K7&dir_id=758&group_id=10657&cat_id=23994&subcat_id=6011

Wildfish wrote:
I need to spool up a new 8 wt that will work as an all purpose warm water/salt rod, and maybe steel next season. Orvis big bug line is on sale, which is supposed to turn over big flies well plus not get limp in the heat--sounds ideal for warm water and summer salt fishing. But before I pull the trigger, are there any downsides? What about other recommendations for a line that will do smallmouth/LM plus handle the salt?
Thanks
Wild

Don't know about salt but I enjoyed the Big Bug line in 8wt for SMB and LMB.

I use the orvis big bug line for small mouth. I have the 7 weight line on a 6/7 weight rod, it's great for poppers, clousers, and will throw a rig with split shot no problem. I'm pretty impressed with it. I tend to favor Rio lines so it was not my first choice, but I got it on sale. Especially at a discount, it can't be beat. The only thing I didn't like is how the loop at the end of line was made. It is a welded loop with mono wraps for reinforcement. The only thing I can't address is how it would preform in the cold if you'll use it for steelhead.

Taper effects the ability to cast and turn over the fly. An aggressive taper will help you get your bulky bass flies out into the water, but I'm not so sure it would be good for steelhead fishing, as the flies are pretty different.

Rather than casting out big hunks of hair and foam, steelhead flies tend to be smaller and less wind resistant, but possibly as heavy (out of my element here). Steelhead taper lines tend to be longer tapers, to help with delivering these payloads vs the short, aggressive heads on bass lines.

Then you have to wonder about water temp. Cold vs warm water means different materials used in the line itself. Lines made for warm water are apt to have more memory and not as supple in the cold, I freely admit I don't know what the drawback to the inverse is, but I'm willing to bet it has to do with tackiness of the line coating.

Finally, salt versus fresh... This is probably the least different part. Saltwater lines are probably less buoyant (look Jay, I sounded it out and it worked!) in freshwater than salt owing to the higher specific gravity of the briney deep. A freshwater floater might be more floaty in salt than not, but I can't imagine that relly makes a difference.

Some websites (Scientific Anglers, for one) will give you taper details for many of their lines. Take a look at some of these to get a feel for what it means, and what a "species specific" line might mean, and remember in the grand scheme of things that for many years, your choices were weight forward, dual taper, or level...and people caught fish.

Using the Big Bug line in the salt water would probably be just fine.

gfen wrote:
Taper effects the ability to cast and turn over the fly. An aggressive taper will help you get your bulky bass flies out into the water, but I'm not so sure it would be good for steelhead fishing, as the flies are pretty different.

Rather than casting out big hunks of hair and foam, steelhead flies tend to be smaller and less wind resistant, but possibly as heavy (out of my element here). Steelhead taper lines tend to be longer tapers, to help with delivering these payloads vs the short, aggressive heads on bass lines.

Then you have to wonder about water temp. Cold vs warm water means different materials used in the line itself. Lines made for warm water are apt to have more memory and not as supple in the cold, I freely admit I don't know what the drawback to the inverse is, but I'm willing to bet it has to do with tackiness of the line coating.

Finally, salt versus fresh... This is probably the least different part. Saltwater lines are probably less buoyant (look Jay, I sounded it out and it worked!) in freshwater than salt owing to the higher specific gravity of the briney deep. A freshwater floater might be more floaty in salt than not, but I can't imagine that relly makes a difference.

Some websites (Scientific Anglers, for one) will give you taper details for many of their lines. Take a look at some of these to get a feel for what it means, and what a "species specific" line might mean, and remember in the grand scheme of things that for many years, your choices were weight forward, dual taper, or level...and people caught fish.

Using the Big Bug line in the salt water would probably be just fine.

Steelhead tapers do not apply to East Coast steelheading imo.

jdaddy wrote:

Steelhead tapers do not apply to East Coast steelheading imo.

I agree. The largest place you're likely to East Coast Steelhead is the Salmon River, and that isn't even that large. It's more like deep hole nymphing with the occasional run.

The best steelhead line in my opinion is the gen 3 in a good old double taper. Only cas you need in erie is the roll cast

Thanks guys. Hopefully the sale will last through next week--I want to check out some line at the FF show first. But it sounds like the big bug stuff will work for most applications. I like to throw really ugly poppers in the summer.

Wildfish wrote:
Thanks guys. Hopefully the sale will last through next week--I want to check out some line at the FF show first. But it sounds like the big bug stuff will work for most applications. I like to throw really ugly poppers in the summer.

That's what I used it for.

I love to throw deer hair frogs. I still fish the same flies my grandfather fished over 60 years ago.

Back