Opinions on rod selection

S

spike-2

Will be moving into smaller apartment in Harrisburg area in next couple months and need reduce amount of gear. I have a 4wt, 5wt, 6 and 7 weight rods. I thinking of keeping the Winston BIIx 8' 4wt (for trout)and the Winston 9' BIIMX 6 wt (for smallmouth and maybe trout). Does this make sense? Thanks for your thoughts. Dave

spike-2 wrote:
Will be moving into smaller apartment in Harrisburg area in next couple months and need reduce amount of gear. I have a 4wt, 5wt, 6 and 7 weight rods. I thinking of keeping the Winston BIIx 8' 4wt (for trout)and the Winston 9' BIIMX 6 wt (for smallmouth and maybe trout). Does this make sense? Thanks for your thoughts. Dave

Yes, it makes sense if you're mainly a trout guy.

If it were me, I'd keep the 5WT and the 7WT. . .however I fish as much for warm water species as trout.

+1

Does this make sense?

No.

How small is this apartment that you can't find room to store two additional rods tubes & reels?

tomitrout wrote:
Does this make sense?

No.

How small is this apartment that you can't find room to store two additional rods tubes & reels?

Agreed, keep them in your car for god sakss.

Man - must be a small place. maybe as another option a friend could let you store them at his or her place? I mean, fishing rods hardly take up any space. Hell - hang them from the ceiling or wall on something.

Agree on the 5 and 7.

Honestly, for PA trout, 5 is probably the best all around. I own a bunch of 5's in different lengths and actions. You could argue a 4 or 6 is better in certain situations but a 5 isn't misplaced in either situation.

The 7 would be ideal for steelhead, ok for bass, and is undersized but could still handle occasional duty in the salt or for salmon if needed.

Also agree on the space issue. I mean really. But if you have to get rid of 2, I'd say get rid of the 4 and 6.

The more I fish, especially for trout, the lighter gear I tend to use. I think I've used a 5 weight for trout maybe 1 time in the last few years. I have an array of 3 and 4 weights I use depending on what I'm tossing and where I am. I think a 4 weight for trout and 6 weight for warm water and even steelhead. That being said, I would find some place to just store the other rods rather than selling them off. If it's just a matter of storage, I'm sure that problem can be fixed.

I would keep the 4 for trout. Tossing dries and fishing small streams will be more fun on a 4wt vs a 5. use the 7 for streamers for trout and smallies/steelhead

Is the 7wt an overkill for smallies in the Susquehanna?

Lol. I often throw a 7 wt line when small stream brookie fishin. 5 wt rod, 7 wt line.

Is the 7wt an overkill for smallies in the Susquehanna?

I use a 6wt and man I wish I had a 7 or 8 some days. Especially when I start laying into some catfish but even done nice smallies will really test your wrist on a 6 wt.

Back