Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Opinions on a rod(Cabela's TLr, plus diff. wts and lengths)

From Ohio
I'm not really in the market for a new rod, but this one caught my eye, mainly because of the price. I think it's the cheapest rod I found that has a 10ft 7wt model which I've kinda been searching for but haven't really done any serious thinking/research. I had steelhead(and also carp, bass, and whatever else) in mind. My two current steelhead rods are a 6wt and an 8wt and they are both 9 footers, but from what everyone keeps saying that one extra foot really makes a difference which I truly believe.

So, anyone have this rod?

I also noticed it comes in an 11ft 6wt model(at the same price), which I assume from looking at the pictures it would be a "switch" rod. Anyone have any experiences/insight on that version even if it's not a Cabela's TLr? Just not sure how much use I'd get out of an 11ft 6wt. I'd mainly be fishing the PA and Ohio tribs(yeah, I realize there's a big difference in size, etc. lol) and also warmwater.

Again I haven't really been looking for a new rod, but this is tempting. Just trying to get some discussion going. Thanks for any feedback.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 14:21

Re: Opinions on a rod(Cabela's TLr, plus diff. wts and lengths)

I actually owned the TLR 10' 7 weight this past winter but returned it thinking i already had too much gear...and now am kicking myself in the butt for doing so. They are a very nice olive green matte blank with good hardware for the price. There are a lot of people who love the switch rods but if you are fishing NY, I would get the 11' 8 weight if you were also going to use it for salmon. In PA, the 1007 or the 1106 would work well. For the price, they are a great rod. Now you got me thinking I should reorder one! Get a prestige premier reel or rls+ to match it and you would be set!

Posted on: 2013/7/24 23:50

From Ohio
Sweet, just the info I was looking for. The more I think of it if I do decide to get one I'd probably go with the 10ft 7wt, not sure how much I'd use a switch rod, especially once the steelhead go back to the lake.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 7:40

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Never used the rod, but I got a few "test" blanks to use last fall and got some 10' 7wts. I used to use a 9' 8wt in Erie and loved the extra foot in length. Helped to high stick, mend, swing, etc. I'll never go back to a 9 foot rod for steelhead.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 8:10

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I think the Redington Pursuit comes in a 10 foot 7 weight at a similar price. Just another option to check out.

I've been using a Gander Mtn. Guide series 10 foot 7 weight for steelhead for about 5 years now. It's the right tool for the erie tribs. It's also passable for salmon, but a little on the light side.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 10:54

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

albatross wrote:
I think the Redington Pursuit comes in a 10 foot 7 weight at a similar price. Just another option to check out.

I've been using a Gander Mtn. Guide series 10 foot 7 weight for steelhead for about 5 years now. It's the right tool for the erie tribs. It's also passable for salmon, but a little on the light side.

You've gone 5 years without breaking a rod???

Posted on: 2013/7/25 11:16

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Ryan wrote Quote:
You've gone 5 years without breaking a rod???

Well, 5 without breaking "that" rod...

Posted on: 2013/7/25 15:29

From Ohio
Thanks ryguyfi and albatross. Just took a look at the Pursuit and it's $20 bucks more but that's still not bad. I'll have to take a look at the details and see which one I'd like better I guess. My next rod will almost definitely be a 10 footer. My 9 foot rods work fine, but yeah I do believe I'd probably do better with a 10, especially on the Ohio tribs. Thanks for all the input.

Posted on: 2013/7/25 20:07

From Huntingdon
that 20 bucks more would also get you a lifetime warranty

Posted on: 2013/7/26 12:23

I apparently am under a lot of peer (or gear) pressure and went ahead and ordered the Pursuit in 10' 7 weight after reading back into this post and regretting my return of my tlr. I ordered from Kitterytradingpost.com and scored the rod for $99.99 plus free shipping and a free 75th anniversary t-shirt. That is actually equal to cabelas with the on sale tlr series and I scored a free shirt. I hope the Pursuit works out well!

Posted on: 2013/7/28 15:39

From Ohio
I decided to get the TLr. Ordered it Tuesday, got it Thursday, and took it out for a spin yesterday! Overall I like it and it seems like a good deal for the money. Tried it with both 6wt and 8wt lines and it casted them(and caught fish) fine but I'm sure it'll be a lot better with a 7wt line(just ordered one a few minutes ago). I didn't indicator nymph fish with it, but I did high stick nymph with it as well as strip streamers and did some sight fishing for carp. Holding the rod next to a 9 footer it doesn't seem like much of a difference at all, but fishing with it that extra foot does seem to help a little, and I'm sure it'll help a lot once I start using it for steelies.

Anyways, I picked up a handful of smallies as well as two carp! Of course it was on the heavy side for the smallish bass, but it handled the carp great. Not a bad first outing with the rod.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/3 14:26

From florida
Like Albatross it looks like Reddington is a good choice $ wise? I have 1, an 8 wt that's a nice rod to cast. Cable las often has specials on Redington outfits and I'D get one of those if I was in the market. GG

Posted on: 2013/8/3 19:21

From Ohio
Before I got the Cabelas rod I went to the local Gander Mountain which carries Redington Pursuits(not the 10ft 7wt though) and it felt ok but I decided to take my chances with the TLr. The TLr is actually a little heavier than I thought(feels kinda like my 8wt) but I still like it.

But there's one little thing that kinda annoys me, the rod is 9ft and 11.5inches! lol. Don't ask why but I had the urge to measure the rod and it came up a half an inch short. All the other rods I measured were right at the length they were supposed to be.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 9:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com