Oliver Edwards Fly Fishing Videos

gaeronf

gaeronf

Does anyone own these? The previews on youtube look pretty good, but I want to know if it's worth it?

Gaeron,
I have these on vhs tapes and the tapes play just as good the day i got them since then i i got them to DVD .In 1997 A friend of mine John Ruland & myself convinced Rod Rohrbach to get some new faces for seminars down the Lil Lehigh, Believe it or not he got Oliver to come there was a group of about 6 of us that tied with Oliver.
If i may concur you can learn alot of different points of view where tying is concerned as well as flyfishing videos.Maybe see things from anothers point of view.
IMHO Oliver's insights and fishing methods for each of the patterns on each video are priceless and informative,therefore worth the price of admission.
i have all of his videos and feel privledged to have tied with a great fellow tyer and angler,as well as a real Yorshire gentleman.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Awesome, I replied to your PM.

Awesome, I replied to your PM.

I have seen his Wet Fly fishing video (he fishes the Wharfe). There are 30 minutes or so of on-stream instruction and about an hour of tying. I took a look at the trailer for it for this post, and frankly, the trailer spills most of the beans unless you need the tying. He is too negative for my taste as regards the across and down swing--sometimes I've caught on the swing when the dead drift upstream did not, but to each his own.

In the tying, he gives great historical info you probably wouldn't get elsewhere, and fortunately he is tying classic north country spiders which are fast, easy and cheap to tie.

Before he and his production company cracked down, there were some extended extracts of his videos on Youtube. His patterns struck me as being way too complicated. Before Mcphail that was ok, because you could nevertheless pick up some good techniques and ideas and the production quality was outstanding. After Mcphail, why bother?

Adding up what I remember of the Wet Fly fishing dvd, the old Youtube extracts, and the current assortment of trailers, Edwards has something unique going going for him: UK streams are places you dream about fishing someday, or at least I do. He takes you to those streams and gives lots of interesting background. He is engaging to watch. Production quality is stellar. I even like the music which evokes the pastoral Yorkshire dales very well.

Seems like good entertainment. Keep in mind that is coming from someone who thinks Mcphail tying videos are better entertainment than most of what you can find on TV.

I Agree 100% with DGC's comments about swinging flies. Down and across produces excellent results for me, and I think Edwards is being too rigid there. Davie Mcphail is a brilliant tier, and has changed the way I approach my own tying. Where I once simply made several wraps to hold a bit of material, I know use the absolute minimum, etc.

Having said that, there is that British charm to Oliver Edwards videos, so have at them. He seems sincere in his efforts, and the
tactics he uses work well in his picturesque streams.

Back