Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 (2) 3 »


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11463
Offline
There are no 8'6" fiberglass rods in the 1960s. Period. There aren't gonna be any 5wt rods, either, in that length, either.

Becuase that too would be stupid, less stupid, but stupid none the less.

Its a 7wt. I know, normally I tell you all its a 6wt, except that's an 8'6" rod, meaning its going to be a 7wt.

While it would probably actually have been considered to be the 8wt equivilent (GB/B) you won't like it at that weight at all, meaning you'd fish it as a 7wt because that would feel correct.

On the rare chance you find a rod that was designed to be a lightweight rod, it would be 7' or shorter. Period.

Don't try to read anything in "130" other than a model designation. These people didn't measure in grains, they measured in line diameter.

edit: "But I cast it with a GPX 5wt, and it was awesome!" The GPX line weights are drastically off the AFTMA scale. The head weight of a GPX is 190 grains which is an AFMTA 7wt line. Actually, to be precise, an overweight, almost-out-of-spec 7wt line. You're welcome.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 16:16
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2006/9/18 16:54
From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
Posts: 586
Offline
Six-Gun: Yeah, sounds like you might end up with a WF4F line for this rod. I don't believe WF lines were very widely available in the 1960's; so most rods were cast with DT lines in those days. My impression is that a WF4 line acts like a DT5 line (which might be the original format for this rod). So, using a WF5 may be like loading it with a DT6 line - too much weight, resulting in the overflex you experienced in the back yard.

On the other hand, I could be all smoke. As Otter said, "the idea is to just relax and enjoy yourself."

Posted on: 2013/9/19 16:19


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11463
Offline
See above, where I added an edit to clarify the confusion you're undergoing as you break away from the AFTMA desginations created after your rod was made.

And no, a DT is not like an WF lien one weight heavier. They're the same thing to 30' back, at which point the DT line continues to have the same diameter, and the WF line falls down. Only over 30' are you overlining the rod to something bigger.

Prior to that 30' limit, a 4wt line is 4wt line, regardless of its taper designation. That's the beauty of the system. Its 120 +/-6 grains. Always. All day long.

Now, as noted in another thread, if it feels great to you at that line desgination, tehn wonderful. You've proven what you like, and that's the only answer.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 16:23
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2006/9/18 16:54
From Oxford, Chester Co., PA
Posts: 586
Offline
gfen: by definition, A WF4 and a DT4 have the same weight in grains within the first 30 feet of line. However, comparing the two, the weight is distributed differently within that 30 feet, resulting in a different "feel" when cast (at least for me). A WF feels heavier than a DT of the same weight because the WF is designed to load sooner, theoretically allowing you to shoot more line and cast further. Nowadays, most rod manufacturers design their rods with a WF line in mind. I find that most of my PA tout fishing is done at short ranges and I find it useful to "overline" my (WF)4wt rods with DT5 lines. However, I have an Orvis 7-11 (4wt) which bucks that trend. BTW, the DT line is arguably a poor choice compared to the WF, but the DT is cheaper (and I am cheap).

Line diameter is not explicitly controlled by AFTMA; only the weight of the first 30 feet is standardized.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 16:45


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2010/6/9 12:35
From down the block from the Letort.
Posts: 947
Offline
Try it with a 5, 6 or even 7, WF, DT whatever you have, this ain't rocket science. Lay down the rod sock, pace of 3 rod lengths and drop your hat, another two lengths and pile some leaves or sticks.

Tie on some yarn with 5x and see which line works best for you at both targets. Decent enough caster? You'll be able to make all three work, choose the one that feels best for you and make a mental note...

Posted on: 2013/9/19 17:54


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2008/5/29 15:28
From Lititz/Huntingdon
Posts: 934
Offline
I have one very similar to that one it not exactly the same. I use it every now n then. I use a 7Wt line on it. Seems to give it a little more flex. It works well with a 5 but I like it to bend a little bit more than some. Some of these rods are pretty cool and work real nice. I have an old Fenwick glass too. That is a nice one also. Use it, graphite ain't everything.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 19:55
_________________
Do'n It Right On The Wrong Side Of Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2009/5/29 6:40
From harlansburg
Posts: 4490
Offline
Quote:

gfen wrote:
There are no 8'6" fiberglass rods in the 1960s. Period. There aren't gonna be any 5wt rods, either, in that length, either.
.


????
no 8'6"???
I have 6 or 7 in that length.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 20:41


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2011/5/6 7:40
From Glendora nj
Posts: 434
Offline
Let me know what line you find works well with this rod I have the same one in the garage. From my grandfather

Posted on: 2013/9/19 21:04


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2010/8/4 11:18
Posts: 123
Offline
tups, you are wrong. there were no 8'6 4 wts in the 60s. there were probably no graphite rods in the 60s either, definitely no graphite h and is. you are also wrong about wf/dt. plenty of rods are labeled for dt and wf lines and the wf is always the heavier of the two. there is no grey area here, you are wrong on both statements. the rod is probably a 7 or 8 wt. those are the weights I'd start out with. with that being said, fish it with whatever line feels best.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 21:23


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2007/10/7 0:44
From philadelphia
Posts: 877
Offline
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
Quote:

gfen wrote:
There are no 8'6" fiberglass rods in the 1960s. Period. There aren't gonna be any 5wt rods, either, in that length, either.
.


????
no 8'6"???
I have 6 or 7 in that length.


i think he meant to say 8'6" FOUR weights.

anyway HI is one of my favorite brands.most of the hype against them is based on a few lines in a geirich book.

which i like because that keeps the prices down!

to the op,beautiful rod,prob a six ,but in the superior glass that can mean it could work from 5-7.

go fish the heck out of it.a six in glass is not too heavy because it fights like a four

Posted on: 2013/9/19 21:37


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2013/7/30 17:16
From Fairborn, OH
Posts: 315
Offline
Thanks, shakey and everyone else who has really brought this thread to life. It's very cool to see a lot of the historical info show up that I never really knew. I'm just hoping I've done enough homework to properly date this thing as that seems to be the center of much of the debate.

Regardless, as has been the general theme here, I really need to get it out and try lines in the suggested weight window and just find out what works. At the very least, we've narrowed it down a bit.

I also need to ask: why would a 8'6" fiberglass rod in a 4-weight/5-weight be unthinkable for this time/rod type? I really just don't know enough about this sport yet for it to be obvious. However, this seems to fall in line with my curiosity over why the new, fiberglass offering from Redington - the Butter Stick - appear in what I thought were short lengths.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 21:45


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2013/8/6 21:44
Posts: 1070
Offline
Gfen, I have to say you have, by far, my favorite avatar.

I'm enjoying the history in this thread. I have an old Shakespeare fiberglass rod that my Pap gave me. I actually started fly fishing with that rod. Maybe I'll get it out and inspect it. I also have the Heddon reel that it was set up with.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 22:12
_________________
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2010/2/15 19:09
From Ohio
Posts: 744
Offline
Sorry, I can't offer any help with the line. But I did love this statement Quote:
it was my dad's and I intend on at least giving it the dignity of catching fish with it.
I would fish that rod too.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 22:43


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2009/5/29 6:40
From harlansburg
Posts: 4490
Offline
Quote:

shakey wrote:
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
Quote:

gfen wrote:
There are no 8'6" fiberglass rods in the 1960s. Period. There aren't gonna be any 5wt rods, either, in that length, either.
.


????
no 8'6"???
I have 6 or 7 in that length.


i think he meant to say 8'6" FOUR weights.

anyway HI is one of my favorite brands.most of the hype against them is based on a few lines in a geirich book.

which i like because that keeps the prices down!

to the op,beautiful rod,prob a six ,but in the superior glass that can mean it could work from 5-7.

go fish the heck out of it.a six in glass is not too heavy because it fights like a four



Ahhhh, gotcha! I like your line, "superior glass"!!!

Posted on: 2013/9/20 6:19


Re: Old rod: what line weight do I use on it?

Joined:
2013/7/30 17:16
From Fairborn, OH
Posts: 315
Offline
Quote:

boychick wrote:
Sorry, I can't offer any help with the line. But I did love this statement Quote:
it was my dad's and I intend on at least giving it the dignity of catching fish with it.
I would fish that rod too.


Thanks a lot. I don't want to give the impression that my dad has died and passed this down by inheritance. My old man is alive and well, it's just that he has had this rod for years and simply decided it was time to give it to me since it never would get used otherwise. It's high time this old horse saw the track again.

Speaking of which, I'll try to post some pics of the full rod when I get back home. It really is in pretty good shape.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 9:40



« 1 (2) 3 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com