Okuma Helios

brianb

brianb

Has anyone ever used the Okuma Helios? I have several reels right now that when they are wet the drag just does not perform smoothly or even seizes up. The okuma has a sealed waterproof multi drag system which sounds like what I am looking for and for a decent price $140 on ebay. Anyone ever use one?

I have that reel in a 5/6 weight. I have not used it much recently because I am not a big fan of the drag. It is smooth, but there is something about it I just don't like. It may just be a defective reel, but it seems as though I need to keep adjusting the drag to keep it were I want it. It seems to loosen on me with continued use. I may be able to send it back for repair, but I am not even sure if it needs repair or if the drag just sucks.

I am a big ross reel fan. I also have a couple orvis and a G loomis reels as well and I like all of those except the Okuma. It is a very lice looking reel.

I may be willing to sell it if interested. I realize I have not given it the best review, but you could try it out and if you hate it I would give you your money back.

brian,

If you think you'll ever need drag, spend another $25-75 to get a better reel. When it lasts you 25 yrs of trouble free use, you'll be glad you got it.

Scroll down and read. There was just a thread on here about getting a reel last week.

Back