Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Ok, finally looking for wading boots

From Reading, PA, via everywhere
Probably gonna keep the felts, and pick up a pair of rubber soled ones in addition. Lookin for recommendations.

Requirements are that the new pair must stay below $100, preferably less than $70 or $80. Most interested in how "sticky" the sole is on large, rounded boulders.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 8:42

Re: Ok, finally looking for wading boots

From Shrewsbury, PA
Pcray,

I've been using the rubber sole wading boots since 2003, mainly Simms boots. My first pair was a studded, Aqua Stealth pair. I had no problems with wading in slick water conditions and under the conditions you described. As I fish in the winter, the rubber soles are much easier to walk in snow than felt.

I now have two pair of studded Simms Rivershed boots and love them.

I think you may find rubber sole boots in your price range from Cabelas.

Dale

Posted on: 2012/6/12 9:14

From Bucks County
Hey Pc,

LL Bean is having a sale on hunting and fishing stuff. Their studded River Treads are reduced from $149 to $99, size 11 and up. I wear a 9-1/2 shoe but size 11 in wadding boots. Here's the link:

LL Bean River Treads Studded

Posted on: 2012/6/12 10:35

Well, I've used the cheapo boot foot hippers before, which have rubber soles, and I find them downright deadly on rock. But admittedly the tread pattern is likely nowhere near what a decent boot will give you.

Unless there's a super special or something, Simms is out of my price range. Just not willing to spend that kinda dough on boots. I've heard negative reports on a few of the cheaper rubber soles, I was hoping to hear a few positive reviews on something.

Cabela's ultralight lug sole, Frog Togg Anura rubber soles, Pro Line Nitro, Field & Stream Pro rubber with cleats, etc. Something along those lines.

Thanks RC. Never had any Bean stuff or even been to a Bean store, but those are in consideration.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 10:50

From Lehigh Valley
RC - Thanks for the tip on those River Treads studded boots.

I already have a pair of these boots, and they're the best boots I've ever owned. The new ones are BOA closure, and I'm not sold on the durability of that system. The new ones are also $200!

I just ordered a second pair, to use while my first pair are drying. FWIW, these boots run true to size. If you wear a size 11 street shoe, the size 11 will fit well, with room for a heavy wool sock, and a pair of thin wicking socks under your waders.

Pat - You might want to jump on this deal if they fit. There's zero risk, as you could always send them back for a full refund....

H.A.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 11:03

Those are gonna be too big, I think. I wear about a size 9 in shoe size, plus or minus a half size depending on sizing. I have duck feet, short and wide. 8 1/2 wide is probably right, but I often find myself with 9's or 9 1/2"s to get the needed width.

I always loved Chota made boots, perhaps because they're cut wide. But they've just gone so high in price.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 12:29

From Clearfield
I always had felt until my wife bought me a pair of orvis ultralights
last year for my birthday, I think rubber sole with studs is the only way to go now......walking through the woods is much easier and I see no difference in the grip i get instream.....it actually might be a little better with the studs

I would recommend any rubber studded boot but if you want to save money buy a plain rubber boot and check out an old topic on hatchmag.com about adding your own studs

could save you $20 depending on what boot you get

Posted on: 2012/6/12 12:45

Pcray,

I know this doesn't meet your requirements but here is something to think about.

I was always a user of the low end Choata cheap felt wading boots and they worked fine however, in rubber, most of the cheap ones are very slippery and have no traction even with studs (the rubber is too hard and doesn't compress and bite into the rocks for traction). After talking to a lot of people in the industry, I ended up biting the bullet (reluctantly) and buying a pair of Simms G4 guide boots – far more than I ever expected to pay for wading boots. I also got the studs (not the star ones but the regular studs).

First, the support of the boot alone is incredible. I cannot believe how much better my feet, legs and back feels after a full day of walking miles and miles and even just standing in the stream. They are also extremely comfortable. I wish I would have bought a high end boot years ago – there is that much of a comfort difference.

Second, they are extremely durable. I was shredding 1 and sometimes 2 pair of Choata boots ($60 ones) once a year. These Simms boots are definitely made to last and can take a beating.

Third, the sole really grabs on to things quite well. I’ve been using these in the Delaware and they have really good traction and as long as I take things a little slower than with felt soles, I can do everything I could with the felt soles.

I am extremely glad I spent the extra $150 over what I normally would have spent on wading boots. I uses these all over even in places where I could use my old felt boots.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 12:56

I don't know much about the Delaware and how easy it is to wade. But generally, I worry less about the big streams, precisely because you aren't moving so much. You take your time getting in place, and then you fish. And you might fish for 5 or 10 minutes before moving anywhere.

The areas that concern me are covering ground on smaller rocky streams where the small rocks can be described as bowling balls. The type where you truly fish 3 miles of water in a day, and that's climbing over terrain that looks like the picture below.

That said, yeah, if longevity is that much improved I could see the use of going higher in price.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/6/12 13:29

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I bought some ProLine's for $60 and am very happy with them so far. Did the rubber sole thing and felt (punny) it was very comparable and even better in some areas. I don't think I'll go back to felt. It's not even close to your typical rubber hippers in terms of slippage. The material is completely different. I'd give it a try if I were you.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 15:37

From Cato, NY

Posted on: 2012/6/12 16:15

Very interesting.....

Posted on: 2012/6/12 16:34

I was told by a fellow fisherman to get about 20 hex-headed sheet metal screws, 3/8", I believe, and drill or screw them into hiking/hunting boots. He says they work well. I was complaining about the $20 rubber stretch ice type cleats I just bought. They worked great, but they were falling off my boots. They were a dull triangular spike, not the sharp triangles of most ice fishing cleats. They really held the bottom amazingly well, even when I made a cross river move that I went up to the chest during. Probably would have gone a bit down river if it weren't for them.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 18:19

From harlansburg
FEAR NOT THE RUBBER!!! any of the quality boots with rubber sole AND studs will be just as good or even better than felts. I have the bean boots, love them and wish I made the switch years ago. SOOOO much better for hiking into the stream, plus better grip on the rocks.
DO NOT BE AFRAID! get ones that fit good, have the good quality rubber, and get studs. I honestly think you won't look back.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 21:09

I just bought 250 screws for dirt bike ice racing tires. With the shipping they cost $30. I measured the thickness of the soles of my boots and bought the 5/8" length. The heads are 3x taller than a sheet metal screw and much harder. Just screwed them in with the cordless drill. I'm set for another 7 or 8 years with screws. I also screwed them in next to existing studs in my Orvis boots and they work much better.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 21:11

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>
Polls
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com