Nymph Rod

redrockgrizzly

redrockgrizzly

I'm looking for a nymph rod for my son for Christmas in the $200 - $250 range. Cabelas is discontinuing a lot of their fly rods so the one I wanted is no longer available. Any suggestions out there?

10ft 4wt TFO BVK. Good dry fly rod too.

The Cortland comp nymph rods are definitely worth a look, and go for $250. I have the 10'6" 3wt, and love it.

redrockgrizzly wrote:
I'm looking for a nymph rod for my son

Is he an experienced FFer?

If so, I'd support the previous posts recommending Cortland and TFO products in 10 foot. The trend over the years is toward longer rods for nymphing and these do provide tangible benefits.

However, if he is newer to the sport - say, for example, this is his first or second fly rod - I would recommend going shorter with a rod in the 8.5-9' range.

yeah, he is a pretty good flyfisherman. He is only 10 but he already has some nice trout to his credit. He has pulled out some nice fish out of Penns already.
I'm looking at the TFO as mentioned in an earlier post.

SteveG wrote:
The Cortland comp nymph rods are definitely worth a look, and go for $250. I have the 10'6" 3wt, and love it.

Same.

And dont let the "comp nymph" name scare you, it will throw a double taper with dries just fine

TFO drift rod 3wt!!

can be used as a 9'/10'/11'3"/12'3". 399.95 4 rods one price.

hookedonthefly wrote:
TFO drift rod 3wt!!

Still a skeptic on this one , it wieghts more then my 9wt when at the 10' lenth. Counter balance weights or not your still holding all that rods weight in the air while fishing . My 10' 3wt recon only wieghts 2½ oz's. Just my two cents

agreed its a heavier rod... but at 12'3", you don't really need to be holding the rod that high.

hookedonthefly wrote:
agreed its a heavier rod... but at 12'3", you don't really need to be holding the rod that high.

At that lenth it would be better to fish an Tekara

Fredrick, the TFO actually feels pretty light when it's 12'3". I either use an Abel Big Game 4 or Hardy Marquis Salmon II loaded with 1wt running line. If you get the big game 4 reel with the Abel arm, the rig practically casts itself.

moon1284 wrote:
Fredrick, the TFO actually feels pretty light when it's 12'3". I either use an Abel Big Game 4 or Hardy Marquis Salmon II loaded with 1wt running line. If you get the big game 4 reel with the Abel arm, the rig practically casts itself.

You would think with the fact that they save allot of money with using an automated system to make their rods that they would use better quality graphite and resins to make the rods lighter . I'm guessing that money goes towards for paying all the big industry names that promote their rods .

hookedonthefly wrote:
TFO drift rod 3wt!!

I havent used it but Im not a fan of the theory..
Seems gimecky, and more set to be a marketing rod that can "do all things great!" than a good tool for fishing.

its a sweet rod! I have only seen it and held it.. I have not used it yet. I think I am going to get it. although I love 10' bvk 4wt. at the 12'3", it be using it as trout spey.

Fredrick-

I like the tfo line. some of the best rods in my opinion, price point and warranty you will never beat!

this is just some of my tfo reels.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 5
hookedonthefly wrote:
Fredrick-

I like the tfo line. some of the best rods in my opinion, price point and warranty you will never beat!

this is just some of my tfo reels.

I hope you didn’t take that pic just for me . :lol:
I’m guessing your on there pro program. If Not you sure do a argument on why you should. I own one Tfo rod and it broke on me the first time I used it this summer and im still waiting on it to be fixed three months later

Always look for the discontinued models.

I have a Sage 10' ESN 3 Weight - Sage has since discontinued it and came out with a "newer" version. May be able to get one for a good price now. I know Elk Springs in WV bought a lot of discontinued Sage Rods; you may check and see if they bought any ESNs.

no.. I did not take the pic for you.. I just took it to show.. yes I know its a crappy pic.. I still cant figure out the pic format.. hahaha

I honestly love the TFO line.. the rods, warranty and price point are great. I never have had an issue with anything. 3mo waiting on repair rod is unheard of with them. I never ever had the issue or heard anyone having it, I would call about that!!

each rod I own, performs specular! I have 7 of their rods. 3wt-7wt. each of them have their own special benefits and qualities. This is just my opinion.. Would I love to own a new 5wt Edge rod hell yea, but I am not going to spend 850.00 on it. Ill buy the 299.99 TFO rod, that will do the same thing for me.

Why do you have 7 rods? The drift can cover everything.

I have 7 rods for different things. all of them are for different ways to fish. I cant be the only one who has different rods for different occasions.

7'6" 3wt tfo pro 2
10' 4wt tfo bvk
9' 5wt tfo mangrove
9' 6wt tfo ticrx
9' 7wt tfo clouser
11'6" 7wt tfo deer creek switch
11'6' 4wt tfo deer creek switch

Back