Not a stupped Question.

P

Panchon74

I have been fly fishing for over a year now. I live in the Texas (Austin area). I have been wading with just shorts and some neoprene scuba boots for foot protection, in the local rivers, streams and also when I go to South Padre for Reds and Speckled trout in the bay. Not to long ago I purchased some waders and felt bottom boots that were a really good deal. My question is; what do you guys normally wear under your waders in cold, cooler or even in hot weather? any suggestions?

Mario

Depends on water temp for me. If I fish a tail water that has a discharge of 45 to 50 degree water. I am wearing waders in july.

Once the air temp hits the 70ies and the water temps are in the sixties. It is shorts and sandles time.

I use to wet wade a lot in hot weather but all the recent talk about lyme disease I have changed my habits. I wear under armor for both hot and cold conditions and out extra layers when it is cold like fleece wader pants.

I do a lot of wet wading, but I'm considering not doing that too much anymore on the susky after 3 of my friends got staff (correct sp?) infections while wet wading.

Basically, I avoid anything cotton under my wading boots. Cotton absorbs water, and will make you cold in cold water and uncomfortable in warm weather. Anything that wicks, especially socks is key.

Lightweight, wicking, base layer in warm weather. In cold weather, I'll go with a medium weight set of pants, also wicking and if it's REAL cold like it can get here in PA or if I'm spending a lot of the day in the water, I'll go with fleece pants.

Best advice I can give you is to avoid cotton as the first layer on your skin.

Ok, Thanks guys!! Will get lightweight underarmor for the warm weather here in Texas and will have some fleece stuff ready for when I go to PA if I end up going when it is cooler. Will also get some good Wool socks to use under both warm and cold weather fishing. So how warm and how Cold does it get in PA? And is the weather quick changing like it can be here in the Austin area?

The weather in PA really depends on what part of the state you're going to and what time of year. The higher elevations can be 10-15 degrees cooler than some of the suburbs and lower lying areas. Perhaps if you can tell us where you're headed and what time of year you'll get a more accurate picture of what the weather can be like.

In the summer it can get into the mid to upper 90's and 90% humidity during heat waves (like Houston in August). But in Albrightsville (the Poconos) it will be about 10 degrees cooler than the urban low-lying areas. And in shaded gorges along many fishing streams in the Poconos it can almost feel air conditioned. In the winter it can get into the teens during the day for extended periods during cold spells, but it is typically in the 30's. Again, colder (and much more snow) in the Poconos.

I just wear jeans under my waders in the spring and fall, and on hot summer days I wear light-weight (like nylon) shorts. If it's really hot and I don't have to do a lot of walking through high grass and weeds, I'll wet wade like you do. In the Poconos woods you have to be careful of ticks, and wet wet wading may not be advisable in situations like that. In the winter you have to start layering and wearing polar tech and fleece type clothes.

P.S. I was just in Brownsville last week. Didn't have time or plan to do anything but business (in Matamoros), but you got me thinking about red fish in South Padre. Next time I'm there I'll have to plan on doing that. Never fished for reds before. Is South Padre particularly good for them?

Wulf-man, send me a private email. I lived in Brownville/ Matamoros and still have family there. Yes you can fish for reds and sand or specklled trout on a fly in south padre. What kind of business do you have in Matamoros?

Back