Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: New to the Sport

From Lehigh Valley, PA
fwiw - I bought a 5 weight, 8` Cabela's Traditional rod to learn on (about $120 for an outfit). I learned to cast with it fairly easily, but then I tried my brother's 5 weight, 9' Orvis Clearwater ($195 for the outfit). You get what you pay for.

The first time I tried the Orvis, I knew I made a mistake. If you know how to cast, try out a bunch of rods before you buy one.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 0:25

- Homer J. Simpson

From Ohio
I would also put the orvis clearwater outfit on the short list, but also consider that the main casting difference between the 8' 5wt traditional and the 9' 5wt clearwater may be the foot difference in length. The clearwater has a lifetime warranty too. A 9' is easier to cast/mend than an 8', but that extra foot may get in the way on smaller streams.

If you could borrow someones equipment, that would be best.

Cabelas does sell some not so good rods IMO, their genesis has a crummy reel seat that broke on me and both it and their three forks line have worse blanks IMO compared to the traditional. My wife learned on a 9' 5wt three forks and was/is happy with it....i just think the traditional is worth the extra 25-30 bucks. (Hard to argue with a purchase of a 8' 5wt three forks/pflueger medalist combo for $75 though!)

Even though they market the genesis combo specifically for somone like you, I would specifically not reccomend getting that combo. The reel seat and the reel are JUNK. All plastic including the drag on the reel. This is what I started on and regret it. Both were broken within 6 months. Cabelas replaced it, but I promptly sold it and bought another outfit.

I've also fished/built several 5 piece cabelas stowaways and think the traditional has better blanks. I also think that the prestige plus reel is better than the CSR (smoother drag and more relieable - have had two frinds who had CSRs bind up on them after minimal use.)

I would agree that an 8' 5wt would be best for eastern trout but I would prefer to use a 9' 6 wt for smallmouth.

If you already know how to cast, consider spending a little more money, but if you're going blind, go cheap.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 6:27

From Bozeman
Just a heads up...

Scott's run might be frozen soon. I've also had lots of problems with wind there, so its not the best place to learn to cast IMO.

I've only been there a few times, so I could be wrong...

Jay

Posted on: 2007/1/29 9:32

From Lehigh Valley, PA
ohiooutdoorsman,

I agree with all of your advice on buying equipment. One small point on the Clearwater v. Traditional: I also tried a 7'9" 5 weight Clearwater, which is shorter than my Traditional. I prefered the shorter Clearwater because it loads more easily. The Traditional is stiffer.

My brother and I are both just picking up the sport, and we noticed dramatic improvements in our casting using either length Clearwater.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 9:46

- Homer J. Simpson

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
As a fairly new flyfisherman I know where you're coming from. I started back in May when I got some gift certificates for Dick's Sporting Goods. They have a limited fly fishing selection but I got what I needed. A Scientific Angler 456 reel (around $30-40) and a 8'6" rod (around $50). Now I had no clue what I was doing so they salesman there showed me what else I needed. Fly backing- first thing put onto reel, followed by floating fly line, usually weight forward WF for easier casting to beginners, then your tapered leader, usually a couple and some tippet to replace your leader as you cut it shorter. Now on my setup I've caught several 4-5lb bass. Now using a 5x tippet you have to learn to play them. This isnt your 8lb test on a spinning rod that you can just bring in as quick as you can. For me as a beginner my setup is perfect for 90% of the fishing I want to do. Everything I listed and a few starter flies cost me about $150 total. Now I warn you, once you get started in this sport you better take a second job to pay for all the stuff that you need/want/don't really need but it looks cool. I would suggest hitting up your local fly shop to learn and ask for advice. It took me several trips out to catch my first trout. Just be patient and always willing to learn. This is a fun sport with much to learn. Ohh, one more thing... bring a camera so you can show us your first fish, the monster (or 2" bluegill) on your new flyrod!

Posted on: 2007/1/29 13:12

From North Catty
Thank you all again, you have been tremendously(SP?) helpful.

Afetr searching on cabelas for a bit I have narowed it down to a few combos. All of these I plan to use for small mouth primarily and I am going to pick up a used rod from my unlce for the trout. The used rod is only a 7.5' 5wt rod. so when I get a bit better at casting I can use this one on the smaller streams.

here is wha I have broken it down to:
1. sweetwater combo
This is the sweetwater combo. which is the first one on the list.

2. The9' 6wt

3. 9' 7wt version

I am leaning more towards the later.

I thank you all again for being so helpful.

Bob

Posted on: 2007/1/29 19:43

Edited by Maurice on 2007/1/29 21:07:19
Edited by Maurice on 2007/1/29 21:08:34

From Greensburg, PA
I have th elast one with a prestige plus reel in an 8wt and like it a lot. I use it at the beach and for bigger bass. But the first one on your list wold be a serious multi tasker. I just love having a rod that I can take almost anywhere for any thing. The 5/6 wt LLbean rod I have is such a rod. I have 3 sppols for my reel. 5wt sinking for lake fishing from my float tube...6wt double taper for everyday use (its great for roll casting) and a 5wt wight forward floating that i use for trout and smallmouth at camp and when I really need to throw distance, say, from the lake shore. If yo are really in a budget situation, don't just take price into consideration, but take into consideration the most USE you can get out of those dollars as well.

If you are going to Cabelas, you will probably be able to test cast some of them and the feel of each rod may just make your decision for you.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 19:53

From North Catty
Tom, Thanks for the advice, it will be taken into consideration tomorrow when I go to cabelas.

Maurice, thank you for the edit, its looks alot better cleaned up :)

Posted on: 2007/1/29 22:43

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com